none-chilean registered phones to be blocked in 2019

General topics related to Living in Chile
admin
Site Admin

none-chilean registered phones to be blocked in 2019

Post by admin » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:49 pm

found this gem this morning for people with foriegn phones that are not registered.

https://www.telecompaper.com/news/chile ... y--1274309
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: none-chilean registered phones to be blocked in 2019

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:08 pm

The total deal is here:
https://multibanda.cl/

If you put a Chilean SIM into a phone whose IMEI code has not been previously (automatically) registered in the system after November 9, then you will need to go through the steps to register it in Chile. One phone free per year and each additional will cost a small fee. You have 30 days to complete the process that kicks off with a warning message from the Chile cell service provider when you fire up a Chile SIM in an unregistered IMEI.

Two weeks ago, I bought a Samsung dual SIM phone from the Chile Samsung store and found that the second IMEI was not registered and had to return it.

All my old devices have been automatically registered in the system pre November 10.

Title is misleading as many devices that will be registered from now probably will not be able to do the emergency alerts and the date given is also erroneous as explained above but it would be the beginning day of blocking unregistered devices that were powered on with a Chile SIM on November 10.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:06 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:08 pm

Two weeks ago, I bought a Samsung dual SIM phone from the Chile Samsung store and found that the second IMEI was not registered and had to return it.
What you bought Sumsung product over apple's iphones? I thought you were hard core Apple guy! Then you as well change your apple lap top for an IBM er, they sold to the Chinos now I remember.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:43 am

i have dual sim phone and have never tested the second slot as it has a san disk in it. not realy that important as i plan to use it for foriegn travel anyway, but curious if it is registered.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:25 pm

Be careful and just check for the IMEI in the database. I would not fire up a Chile SIM in it unless you have are willing to lie that you bought the phone outside of Chile and have the flight info and/or passport stamp that this occurred in the last 30 days. If unregistered and you cannot "prove" the latter, then in 30 days, that SIM slot will not work in Chile.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:34 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:06 pm
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:

What you bought Sumsung product over apple's iphones? I thought you were hard core Apple guy! Then you as well change your apple lap top for an IBM er, they sold to the Chinos now I remember.
They are all on the dark side these days but I will remain a Mac laptop and OS X fan while I have never been a fan of iOS. I need a smart phone for really simple stuff because this is Chile - WhatsApp, GPS, Uber, web search and access on the go and don't and refuse to put my entire life on such a tiny, privacy lacking device. I use a totally locked down Google account so I can download apps and log out immediately and don't use any of Google's suite of products except for Maps when needed.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:03 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:34 pm
HybridAmbassador wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:06 pm
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:

They are all on the dark side these days but I will remain a Mac laptop and OS X fan while I have never been a fan of iOS. I need a smart phone for really simple stuff because this is Chile - WhatsApp, GPS, Uber, web search and access on the go and don't and refuse to put my entire life on such a tiny, privacy lacking device. I use a totally locked down Google account so I can download apps and log out immediately and don't use any of Google's suite of products except for Maps when needed.
Cool, now let me hear your take on prohibiting Huawei components from all 5 eyes and Japan to build next 5G era. Even SoftBank of Japan has been carrying joint experiment with Huawei for their 5G but now announced they will be switching to more costly Ericsson hardwares.?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

rasmataz

Post by rasmataz » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:10 am

I just verified this yesterday with my iPhone. You need to dial *#06# in which a 15 digit number should pop up. Go to your provider's (in my case Entel) and search for IMEI. Once you are there, enter that 15 digit number and it will tell you whether it is registered or not, mine was. You have until Jan. 8th to comply and after that, your phone may not function.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:30 am

So if there is a 30 day grace period, does this mean that the average tourist staying 30 days or less does not need to register their phone? That would be a big plus.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:59 am

Everything is all answered in the link above. Yes, there is a 30 day grace period which effectively means most tourists don't need to bother but if they return, then that IMEI SIM slot probably will be blocked.
rasmataz wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:10 am
Go to your provider's (in my case Entel) and search for IMEI. Once you are there, enter that 15 digit number and it will tell you whether it is registered or not, mine was. You have until Jan. 8th to comply and after that, your phone may not function.
The databases are centralized, the portals all access the same database. You have 30 days to register after firing up a SIM for the first time in an unregitered IMEI SIM slot. January 8 corresponds to 30 days after the new regs went effect on December 10.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:52 pm

Thanks. Read the link but couldn't make out the answer.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:55 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:52 pm
Thanks. Read the link but couldn't make out the answer.
https://www.registratuimei.cl/2017/11/0 ... la-subtel/
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.