anyone around puerto montt\coyhaique ?

General topics related to Living in Chile
proger

anyone around puerto montt\coyhaique ?

Post by proger » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:01 pm

been living mostly in hot places in chile, im now looking for to move over those areas which seems peaceful and beautiful but the weather is very scary to me...

how to support this weather conditions ? is winter becomes a dreadful time of the year?...

thanks

dmwbmw2

Re: anyone around puerto montt\coyhaique ?

Post by dmwbmw2 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:13 pm

Try living in Fort McMurray or Rainbow Lake, Alberta

Now thats scary.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:26 pm

it sure is not Minnesota down here. never seen a -40. scarry is when you no longer need to ask if that is in Celsius or Fahrenheit, just how brittle your car door handles are.

frutilar on the lake 10 to 20 Celsius about 90% of the time, our swings are like plus or minus 10 degrees pretty much all year. couple days a year it pops up to 30 Celsius, and down to zero at the other extreme for a couple days. below freezing tends to happen early in the morning in the winter, if it happens at all.

coyhaique will get below zero a lot, and even have snow. you might not want to go that far south.

got to like rain though. i do.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

proger

Post by proger » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:34 pm

i lived in Calgary for few months it was freezing!

what about the area of Hornopirén \ Hualaihué? it was more sunny when ive been there and seems like nice town and people...

passport

Post by passport » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:27 am

Look into Chile Chico. Milder microclimate

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:01 am

As per admin the climate around PM/ lakes region is just what I like, it washes away the dog shit and smell of human urine that seems to be present in many drier cities further north. The key is to having a good house in the south if you can't afford a dry warm house in the south don't bother moving here, you will be miserable. People just get on with life, rain or not, they dont let a bit of water stop then . If you want a tropical hot paradise dont come south, but its good to have mini vacations evry now and then, airfares are cheap enough for trips up to Brazil or Peru for some hot weather. The natural beauty of the South wouldn't be possible if it wasn't for the wet temperate maritime climate.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

proger

Post by proger » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:13 pm

passport wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:27 am
Look into Chile Chico. Milder microclimate
its getting even colder in the winter over there, without rain almost... good for travel but less for living i think

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:44 pm

this year seems colder than recent years down here, going to summer; but i dont realy like the hot years. we had like 3 years in a row of drought, and the forest fires were an issue. so a bit cooler is fine with me.

i live on a peninsula that sticks out in to the lake so i think it tends to regulate the temp and local micro climate a bit better than say a property that is not so close to the lake. even in dry years we get an early morning mist / fog off the ocean that keeps everything green at our place, and will burn-off as soon as the sun comes up, while things are turning brown in other parts of the region. Lake Llanquihue is sufficiently big to form its own thunderheads on a sunny warm day. beetween the lake, 5he mountains to the east, and the ocean to the west, our climate is pretty steady and predictable; regardless if it is a dry or wet year.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:14 pm

Talking to a few Americans and Europeans over the years, the difference between the lakes region and further South in Patagonia is isolation .
While the natural beauty is stunning in deepest Patagonia, it can get pretty lonely if you are living there, while a few people like that and want to be far a away from civilisation as possible, many find the lack of outside contact hard (you dont have internet either).
As one American friend put it to me a few months ago: his buddy that lives in the middle of nowhere ( a few hours from Coyhaique) only has campasino hillbillies (that try to steal firewood off his land) for human company.
Where as my friend that lives 15 minutes from Puerto Varas can go on tinder dates meeting up at cafes in Puerto Varas with hot Chilenitas (his.words), or he can have breakfast in Puerto Varas ,lunch in Santiago and be back for dinner in Puerto Varas if he wants some big city action or has tramites to do in Stgo .
So while mountain's, glaciers and forests are nice, they get real boring real fast for most people if they are living there permanently, unless they like the hermit lifestyle.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:20 pm

yea, pretty much north of pumalin is where most civilization stops. after that you need to be in to living in rural rural living. the towns and cities more south are a little more civilized, internet, etc; but, you will find the logistic get more difficult and expensive.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:20 pm

yea, pretty much north of pumalin is where most civilization stops. after that you need to be in to living in rural rural living. the towns and cities more south are a little more civilized, internet, etc; but, you will find the logistic get more difficult and expensive.

proger

Post by proger » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:24 pm

about the climate change its seems like it can go both ways when the major different is the extreme changes between season and natural disasters being more frequent... so hopefully it will heat up patagonia a little but i really doubt it.

41southchile- funny comment about the tinder in puerto varas (i was not lucky as your friend there).
after living 1 year almost in complete isolation in Uruguay i took the good things from that and its clear that you need the human contact ect ect, this why im thinking about a village area like hornopiren...

and yeah the area of pumalin \chaiten was a start of heavy isolation living style and super cold too, but it was so beautiful...