electric vehicles in chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Re: electric vehicles in chile

Post by Britkid » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:32 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:10 pm
irony about saesa is, they might be the greenest power company in chile. they suck so bad at consistently providing eletricity to fruitillar, i am seriously considering putting soler panels on my house and office just so i dont have deal with them anymore.
Do it! I would have done it by now, if, like you, I owned my home and planned to stay in Chile for quite some years (I assume that is true for you, that's the impression I got). You'll probably make the money back eventually while achieving energy independence and also reducing pollution and climate change.

You are still going to need a grid connection though for backup, and for moments of high demand or low supply in winter. Unless you put a large amount of both solar panels and battery, selling all the excess back to the grid if that's possible. But it's usually more economical to just get enough to cover your main needs for the three seasons of spring, summer and fall, drawing from the grid both in winter or when someone turns on a hair dryer and the microwave for a few minutes. So you'll probably end up having to deal with them a little bit.

Let's hope their electric charging points are more reliable.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:34 am

hydrogen powered mine truck project, using onsite solar and wind to generate the hydrogen.

https://www.pv-magazine.com/2019/10/11/ ... re-coming/
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:51 am

this is what i have been waiting for, a drop in V8 replacment electric motor. I think it would be fun to have something like a classic Toyota fj 40 with an electric motor, with 300+ horse power. think the orginal only had a 100 hp.

https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2019/10/14 ... nversions/

a lot of people, at least for the next decade or so, are simply not going to want to give up there classic cars, off-road, or colectiable project cars. There is probably a massive market for cars that are collectable, not classic (people won't devalue a true restored or orginal classic), but have been modified. for example, all those muscle cars out there. especially, if they can get more power by doing it.

only question left. would i have to leave a fake tail pipe on it to pass technical revisions in chile?

:lol:

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:13 am

admin wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:51 am

only question left. would i have to leave a fake tail pipe on it to pass technical revisions in chile?

:lol:
Don't forget the fake black exhaust smoke too. :D
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

snobrd4life

Post by snobrd4life » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:12 am

admin wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:51 am
this is what i have been waiting for, a drop in V8 replacment electric motor. I think it would be fun to have something like a classic Toyota fj 40 with an electric motor, with 300+ horse power. think the orginal only had a 100 hp.
Very cool idea, but as one of the comments said, you gotta figure out where that accompanying battery is going to go. Not sure we are going to have a miracle within the next 5 years that will shrink it down to be a viable snap on replacement for the fuel tank, wherever that may sit. When that day comes, these kits are going to have a bright future. Still only for enthusiasts as the practicality of muscle cars and Jeeps getting any decent range off of an electric motor and battery are pretty low considering the amount of reinforced steel rolling from point A to B. Consider their current single digit (mpg) fuel economy...
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:38 pm

Britkid wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:27 pm
I've seen a few analyses on this. In general the depreciation is more for electrics that's true, but it balances out against the fuel savings. The overall cost of ownership is about the same. For uber drivers with their mileage they probably save a ton of money on electric.
I wonder what happens if the government reduces / removes the tax on gas and diesel fuels which constitutes a major portion of their sales price. Where would that leave EVs?

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:43 pm

Well, the lower the price of petrol/diesel the worse the economic case for EVs and the less will be bought, and the higher the price of petrol the better the economic case for EVs and the more will be bought.

Similarly, if you buy an EV and the price of petrol goes massively higher then your car will hold its value better; if the price of petrol is slashed it will depreciate a bit quicker.

Further, if the price of petrol/diesel rockets up manufacturers will start producing more EVs, and if it goes down then they will produce less. But they can't react to short term trends, obviously.

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:14 pm

Britkid wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:43 pm
Well, the lower the price of petrol/diesel the worse the economic case for EVs and the less will be bought, and the higher the price of petrol the better the economic case for EVs and the more will be bought.

Similarly, if you buy an EV and the price of petrol goes massively higher then your car will hold its value better; if the price of petrol is slashed it will depreciate a bit quicker.

Further, if the price of petrol/diesel rockets up manufacturers will start producing more EVs, and if it goes down then they will produce less. But they can't react to short term trends, obviously.
My point is the entire economic case for switching to EVs is non-existant, including new economic activity to build the EV infrastructure which is waste and nada mas.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:25 pm

at46 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:14 pm
Britkid wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:43 pm

My point is the entire economic case for switching to EVs is non-existant, including new economic activity to build the EV infrastructure which is waste and nada mas.
yea, we really had no economic case for leaving the caves either.

My horse gets great gas mileage, and is completely green too.

speaking of horses, here is an economic case: diversifying transportation and energy sources.

The great horse flue of 1872, devastated the u.s. economy, because it was the main source of transportation. although I had read about this before, this was a new one for me. It mentioned in this article, the Apache and u.s. army had to fight eachother on foot, because all their horses were too sick to ride in to battle.

https://mentalfloss.com/article/65528/1 ... -us-horses

A lot of lessons in that article. We know from repeat experience over the last 100 years, just about every modern mechanized war, comes to a fairly abrupt end (offensive capability neutralized) as soon as one side or other looses access to oil. I would call it a military imperative for any modern military to be taking eletric vehicals seriously (electric drones, subs, etc). Even in iraq, while fighting on top of one of the largest oil reserves in the world, gas shortages and logistical issues related to oil infrastructure, limited fighting ability of the parties involved.

at46

Post by at46 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:32 pm

EV batteries are the new oil, and EVs are just a tool for countries that don't have oil such as China, Germany and Japan to take over personal transportation. Give me a call when Chile has the capacity to produce and recycle EV batteries...

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:13 pm

They have now announced charging stations from Santiago to Los Vilos, that's heading north half way to La Serena. The charging stations to Los Vilos will be open in November at the earliest and next year at the latest.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:21 pm

Interesting article, including maintenance costs for a Tesla that ran 100000 miles:

https://electrek.co/2019/10/21/tesla-mo ... 000-miles/

It's specially interesting because the guy has documented the trips on his blog and Twitter, so it's quite a read. Electric vehicles certainly look to be viable from a pretty financial point of view, although infrastructure development may take some time in Chile, given the current protests.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.