electric vehicles in chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Re: electric vehicles in chile

Post by Britkid » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:28 pm

41 SouthChile:

We can divide the second hand electric car market in Chile into two parts.

1 Cars that have sold a significant number. Like 100 of this model ever sold nationwide. That sort of number. These are the Hyundai Ioniq, Nissan Leaf and BMW i3. You can find one for sale second hand, but at any given time there might be about 0-2 on sale of each model.

2 Cars that have sold tiny numbers. Mainly BYD E6, Mitsubishi I-MIEV, Renault Kangoo and Fluence and Zoe, and a few really expensive ones. There are so few it's hard to find them second hand. Each of these had sold between about 2 and 20, ever, for whole of Chile.

There are no pure-electric SUVs at a sensible price. There is a Mitshibishi Outlander PHEV. But it's only about 20-30 miles of all electric range.

The brand new market is about the same selection of cars, nothing much has changed. They have really added the 40kW Nissan Leaf which will have a larger range (possibly about 150 miles) and is less ugly than the previous one but it's 30 million pesos.

There will certainly be more selection in Europe and US in the next 1 or 2 years, but they tend to be a bit slower getting to Chile. Would you be buying brand new?

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:41 pm

For those of you that live down south, I don't think there is any second hand market there. Have you ever heard of one for sale or seen one? I think most of the privately owned ones are RM.

I'm assuming you can't just walk into a dealership in the south and they just have an electric car sat there. Can you buy a brand new car and have it delivered there? I wonder if they would bring it down if you ordered one? Or even bring one down for a test drive? I guess you'd have to ask Hyundai, Nissan etc. Other option is to go all the way to Santiago to buy and drive back.

By the way, soon the autopista fast charging network, which currently goes from to Concepcion, will be extended further south. I went to the Copec Voltex stand at the Fidelmov conference in Santiago on August 30th and they told me that the extension to Temuco is coming in September or October. I think they were already building it by then. In a talk given on August 30th, Ignacio Santelices, who works for a government agency, also said that the link to Temuco would be in place by October.

When I prodded a bit and asked around, it looks like we might get all the way to Puerto Montt perhaps by next year. However, once you have got all the way to Temuco with fast chargers, it should be possible to get all the way to Puerto Montt anyway using the existing charging network. That's if this map is true, and if its chargers are reliable: https://www.enelx.com/cl/es/movilidad-e ... s-de-carga

Gerardo Campos, of the electric car owners club, posted a video on facebook and he drove to Concepcion and back and all the chargers worked but in one case he was stuck at a place for a an hour with Copec trying to get it working. Someone talking at the Fidelmov conference related a similar story. So at the moment you would have to factor in about +50% for your travel time heading south (vs time spent with petrol car). If they can improve the charging network, it should end being about +25%.

at46

Post by at46 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:49 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:24 pm
recently did some calculations on my diesel hyundai Tucson suv 4x4 2008.

think i have had it for 6 years. paid 8 million, with 80,000 km on the dial. it was literally owned by a grandma, and had been serviced since new from my mechanic (we were both clients, and he brokered the sale).
I think it has a licenced Mitsubishi diesel, one of those properly heavy things you really can't kill. Just keep changing oil every 5K miles and it should run into the 400-500K km.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:50 pm

well, not a lot of any cars in southern chile is drive it off the lot new. they mostly ship all.the cars south once you place your order. friend just bought a new car. it was a two week wait for it to be delivered from santiago.

electric cars in south, at least 5 years away, near the urban areas. the rest of the south, more like 10 years.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:05 pm

at46 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:49 pm
admin wrote:

think i have had it for 6 years. paid 8 million, with 80,000 km on the dial. it was literally owned by a grandma, and had been serviced since new from my mechanic (we were both clients, and he brokered the sale).
I think it has a licenced Mitsubishi diesel, one of those properly heavy things you really can't kill. Just keep changing oil every 5K miles and it should run into the 400-500K km.
yea, i am a firm believer in oil changes 10,000 km, 6000 miles, synthetics, religiously. You can abuse a vehicals in a lot of ways, as long as the fluid changes are regular, it will probably still run a very long time. synthetics are probably overkill on such an old car, but my thinking is that if I can not change the oil for whatever reason on schedule, it buys me some insurance to stretch it out without any real harm.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:22 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:50 pm
well, not a lot of any cars in southern chile is drive it off the lot new. they mostly ship all.the cars south once you place your order. friend just bought a new car. it was a two week wait for it to be delivered from santiago.

electric cars in south, at least 5 years away, near the urban areas. the rest of the south, more like 10 years.
Only two weeks? Ours was nearly a month. Yes I understand nearly all new cars are shipped down fron Stgo. Try original spare parts, if you are lucky they will have it in Stgo, otherwise they have to import them from Europe or the States . They hold very little stock on hand in most businesses from what I've experienced.

Another thing I've been thinking is that if diesels and other vehicles are to be banned in some European cities and countries, I wouldn't mind betting that a lot of those diesel vehicles will end up down here in South America (and Africa Asia for that matter too). Just Look at the crap Bolivia imports, basically cars that are written off in the US and sold off by insurance companies for about 100USD, then shipped and chopped into shape in Arica and sold into Bolovia in dubiois states of "repair". So while there might be a few hundred electric cars in Chile, theres gonna be a whole lot of high polluters exported to developing countries, much like cigarette companies do when laws get stricter in the developed world they just encourage kids to smoke in Indonesia to balance out the losses.
“Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation.”

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:55 pm

admin wrote:

it just hit 160,000 km. calculated it cost me 50 pesos a kilometer to drive, not including oil change diesel, etc. probably more like 75 pesos all in (i should do a more exact calculation with those included). It still has a resale value of 4 to 5 million pesos.

at that price, I find it hard to find it more cost effective to sell or trade it vs. driving it until the doors fall off. I can not imagine getting an electric to come close to competing with that cost wise. It might be an older more polluting diesel than what they are producing now; but, replacing it with a new "cleaner" or even electric, is going to be way more polluting. especially if i can squeeze another say even 160,000 km or more out of it before it dies, and so far i see no reason why it should not.
I think that sounds a bit cheap? Possibly if you are just Including fuel, which may be plausible if you are doing a steady 12km to the liter. I think the cheapest vechicle of ours I worked out, is about 160 pesos, that's Including fixed and variable costs.
By the time everything is added in it really adds up, when you do the sums ours is only that low because we drive a lot of kms so the fixed costs can be spread more, but then more kms is more services, maintenance etc, so I'm not convinced on that statement 🤔.
Anyway, Service / maintenance, fuel, insurance, permission de circulation, revision tecnica, tolls, repairs, replacement of tyres etc.
Having any vehicle is definitely not cheap , the fuel costs may be "cheap" but the fixed costs are what screws it. My grandmother when she was alive sold her car when she was nearly 70, not because she couldn't drive anymore, but the fixed costs were too much and it actually worked out cheaper for her to catch a taxi twice a week or so if she needed to go anywhere.
“Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:15 am

yea it is probably all in more than 100 pesos, when adding diesel, oil changes, etc. only major repair has been the alternator, that died at almost exactly 10 years old. pretty much things that are standard "consumables" on a car.

i did drop 1.2 million pesos on good tires shortly after I bought it. down here with the weather, mud, etc, priceless. I subscribe to the theory, "if your tires are spinning or not gripping, everything above it is meaningless". at least once a year I stop to pull someone out of the ditch, that had 20,000 peso chinese discount tires on their car. they all just slipped off the dirt road and in to the ditch.

my frigen toyota fj cruiser, I don't even want to try and do the calculations. I swear it consumes a liter an hour, sitting parked in my driveway. It is simply my offroad toy / project vehicle. It's fuel range is exactly one copec station to the next copec station. but it sure is fun to drive

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:42 am

copec is installing charging stations in the north, specifically targeting the transport of workers to the mines.

https://www.latercera.com/pulso/noticia ... en/832238/

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:47 pm

My all-in cost for a diesel hatch is about 120 pesos per km, with amortization, fuel and insurance being the top three expense items. I drive about 16K km per year mostly on no-toll roads. I'd be happy to pay that to a public transportation system on a per km basis if it gave me a comparable level of convenience and comfort. I don't know what would replace the pleasure of driving though. But maybe I'll get into horse riding :)

Anyway, there's a lot of money that a smart government can potentially play with to improve public transport. And it would certainly be better than having everyone switch to EVs.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:15 pm

at46 wrote:
.... I don't know what would replace the pleasure of driving though. But maybe I'll get into horse riding :)

Anyway, there's a lot of money that a smart government can potentially play with to improve public transport. And it would certainly be better than having everyone switch to EVs.
Flying cars ??

Just a few years ago the news kept saying that in a few years they would be everywhere, and, trying to find the original news articles, I found plenty of recent articles.

Uber Unveils Plan to Fill the Skies With Flying Cars

By the year 2030, the skies will be filled with autonomous drones capable of picking you up and carrying you above the traffic to your destination.

https://www.newsweek.com/uber-flying-ca ... per-514198
bert.douglas wrote:
Right now, the electric car is a way for rich guys to have a high performing sports car, and signal their (fake) environmental virtue at the same time.
Will they be moving to electric flying cars?
However, the PAL-V remains an expensive option at around £350,000.

https://www.euronews.com/living/2019/05 ... ose-are-we

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:15 pm

frozen-north wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:15 pm
at46 wrote:
.... I don't know what would replace the pleasure of driving though. But maybe I'll get into horse riding :)

Flying cars ??
Maybe try travelling outside of your usual two destinations :lol: https://www.farandwide.com/s/public-tra ... d8a48d4da3