electric vehicles in chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Re: electric vehicles in chile

Post by Britkid » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:54 pm

EDIT: This post is out of date. See next post instead.

I went to one of the electric charging points on Copec's own map of them posted in my previous comment to find nothing there and workers confirming nothing there. I went back to the map and they've removed various points that were on there before including the ones needed to get to Concepcion. It looks like someone jumped the gun a bit with the announcement. The announcement if you read it looks like all the points are operational but certainly in at least one case and perhaps others that's not so. So, unclear to me at this point if you can or cannot drive to Concepcion with an electric car. If anyone stops at any Copecs between Concepcion and Santiago, I'd be curious if you see any actually in existence in real life or do they only exist in the PR announcement. I'm guessing the announced ones are at the very least coming soon (within months).
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:24 pm

Someone has now driven from Santiago area to Concepcion and back with an electric car.
Link below has the story in a series of mini video blogs at each stop that might take up to an hour or so to watch all of them.

https://clubautoselectricos.blogspot.co ... LLhzjSr2K0

I'll sum up the key points here though from the video:

On the way from Santiago to Concepcion, everything worked smoothly.

On the way back, there was a problem with a power cut at San Carlos which meant the fast charger couldn't be used until the power came back. The power cut was for the whole area, and meant the fast charger could not be used. However while the power was out, they let him use the mains electricity to charge via generator (it seems that with generator they were able to power a regular electric socket but not the fast charger). It looks like, had there been a power cut all day, he still would have been able to charge overnight and move on the next day. (If the fast chargers don't work, you can still charge an electric car from a regular electric socket, it just takes many hours, perhaps even overnight, instead of some minutes in the fast charger).

There was a second problem with a "fuera de servicio" on the fast charger at San Fernando.If I understood correctly, he charged the electric car from a regular socket here as the fast charger wasn't working. As a result, he had to wait longer to get a smaller amount of charge, and got just enough to reach the next charger, and then left. This would have been to avoid waiting hours and hours to get a full charge at a slower speed. Hope this is making sense.

When he arrived at the electric charging points, there was no one standing near them to assist him in the process, but he was able to get someone when needed. This clearly would have been a tricky trip for someone that didn't speak Spanish.

The fast chargers take 30-40 minutes for a full charge.

Overall, on the way south he probably took a fraction longer than a petrol trip, and on the way back quite a bit longer.

Most of the chargers were for free (he paid at Chillan), but that is just for now that they are free. I think they are all going to charge, but for starters they are allowing some free usage.

The cost is 230 pesos/ kwH for the fast chargers - that is about double the price of regular electricity. That means that when you are driving between Santiago and Concepcion, or anywhere with these fast motorway chargers, you are paying about half the price per mile for fuel as if you drive a petrol/gas car.

(When you have an electric car and are charging at home for example from a regular socket, it is about 75% less pesos per mile as you are using cheaper electricity at a more normal price.)

To pay at the Copec Voltex fast chargers, you have to have a cell phone app and you need an internet connection on your phone to be able to pay. That means if you ran out of credit/data allowance, or had no signal, or had no battery, you would be quite screwed. I am not sure what you would do in this situation. Perhaps they would still let you charge up from the regular socket and you might have to stay hours and hours or overnight? You can't pay by cash or credit card which honestly is just dumb. I hope they change that.

It looks like there are 2 parking spaces next to each electric charging point. I assume that means 2 cars can charge at once.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:27 pm

Britkid wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:51 pm
Thanks for sharing this. Good news. The real news here is that you can now drive from Santiago to Concepcion with an electric car, which wasn't possible before.

The other noteworthy thing is that these are fast chargers. 30 minutes or so.

There is one place on the drive with 98km between charging points which is between Chimbarongo and San Rafael and a similar distance (just under) between Chillan and Concepcion. So you need >100km range to be able to do this.

You can see the map here: https://ww2.copec.cl/voltex

It would be nice if Copec could announce their plans for the next few years. I'm still waiting to find out when you can drive anywhere between La Serena (or maybe Valle Elqui) and Puerto Montt (or maybe Chiloe) with an electric car.
I noted above that, on the drive between Santiago and Concepcion, there is never more than 100km between charging points, and therefore a car with >100km range should be OK. However, I didn't realize that most or all of the charging points are only on one side of the autopista, and can't be accessed from the other side. I think in the video he said 180 kilometres is the maximum gap, allowing for this, so you need a car with 200km+ really to drive to Concepcion.

Otherwise it might be possible to drive past the charging point on the other side, look for a retorno, go back, charge, head off in the wrong direction again, look for a retorno again...which is impractical..only works as an emergency backup plan.

At one point in the video he says something about 144 charging points planned by the end of the year, covering from Arica to Punta Arenas. I am not sure where he's getting that from. I'll ask him on facebook and maybe add more info later if he replies.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:06 pm

I asked him for his source on the charging points all over Chile in this year, and he shared this tweet from Ministry of Energy

Energía
‏Verified account @MinEnergia
¡Este año, alcanzaremos las 150 electrolineras a lo largo de todo el país! Sigamos sumando #MásElectromovilidad para Chile
https://twitter.com/MinEnergia/status/1 ... 0236802051

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:32 pm

thought this might be relevant to the discussion:

chile's export of lithium surpassed gold in 2018:

https://www.latercera.com/pulso/noticia ... as/534663/
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

at46

Post by at46 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:40 pm

Tesla hits a tree and burns the driver alive, then reignites again while sitting at a tow yard.

All you need to know about a huge, quickly burning battery in a high-speed vehicle.
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-02- ... ing-driver

If I had to vote on the future of EV, something like this would be more like it.
https://www.dezeen.com/2019/02/25/citro ... d-drivers/

bert.douglas

Post by bert.douglas » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:47 pm

at46 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:40 pm
Tesla hits a tree and burns the driver alive, then reignites again while sitting at a tow yard.

All you need to know about a huge, quickly burning battery in a high-speed vehicle.
Every day 1000 gasoline fueled cars crash and burn. No one pays any attention. One Tesla crashes and burns and it is front page news.

A battery fire is slower burning but longer lasting than a gasoline fire. No explosion. Easier to get away from. Less hazardous to nearby vehicles.

However, if you drive into a palm tree at 100 mph, in any kind of car, probably you are already dead and it doesn't matter.

at46

Post by at46 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:50 pm

bert.douglas wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:47 pm
at46 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:40 pm

Every day 1000 gasoline fueled cars crash and burn. No one pays any attention. One Tesla crashes and burns and it is front page news.

A battery fire is slower burning but longer lasting than a gasoline fire. No explosion. Easier to get away from. Less hazardous to nearby vehicles.

However, if you drive into a palm tree at 100 mph, in any kind of car, probably you are already dead and it doesn't matter.
Well, they tried to get the guy out of the car, but there were no door handles, coz it's a Tesla. It doesn't just make you into a tree-hugger, it makes you into a tree-hugging shish-ke-bob.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:21 pm

I have simply investment bet on electric vehicles. I don't buy electric vehicle companies, or anything too far up the food chain directly. Who knows how that is going to turn out in 30 years.

I look at the major components of an EV, then buy the stock in the companies providing the raw materials. When they drop one of those components, I will drop the resources and replace them in my portfolio with anything that get's added. It is like they say about the Gold mining rush in California. The guys that really got rich, sold the shovels and picks.

Right now I am buying lithium miners, rare earth metal miners (5%, think that was what they call a 'rip your face of rally' today), and believe it or not I even bought copper miners (ev vehicles use at least 4x the copper of gas cars).

I told myself, a couple years ago, 'don't invest in copper miners, that is not diversifying, your whole life is indirectly tied the price of copper' (well, not really, but pretty dam important if you live in Chile). Still, I have been watching a copper miners closely for years, and I broke down and put a little bit of money in to a copper mining ETF a couple of weeks ago. Man is that paying off so far. Other than my own self-imposed psychological moratorium on investing in copper, the charts, the stars, the moon, and everything else was just way tooooo setup for a rally in the price of copper.

The highest I have gone up the food chain in the EV market so far, was Chile's Molymet. They produce molybdenum. Mostly used in high-strength steel, like pipes for drilling oil wells. I bought them originally because of the resurgence in fracking in the United States, after the 2015 collapse in oil prices. Then they entered the competition with Corfo and won, to open a lithium battery plant. Corfo gave lithium miners in Chile extended rights to mine lithium, under a condition that 25% of their lithium be sold to the winners of that competition at their lowest freight on board price at the port. The whole idea is to kick start a the lithium battery industry in Chile. Molymet was the only Chilean company to win, next to Panasonic and a Chinese company. It is kind of a long-shot, but think they will do o.k.They are pretty well run company as far as I can see.

The great thing is, if the major components of EV's and renewable energy holds up for say 10-20 more years, Chile has it all. There are even reopening the old cobalt mines in Chile. One way or the other, Chile is going to make a lot of money off of the whole EV market. All those exploding volcanoes and earthquakes (where all the minerals come from), they are going to pay Chile back for the damages.

You don't need to know anything about the EV market, but over the next 10 years, my bet is everything in Chile goes up, massively, because of it. I mean everything. Buy a piece of swamp land in the Patagonia, it will go up in price because of what is coming out of that dessert in Northern Chile. Buy an apartment in Vina or Santiago, it will go up. Don't like the potholed filled street you live on, wait for it. Chile is going to be flush with tax revenue.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

bert.douglas

Post by bert.douglas » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:51 pm

at46 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:50 pm
Well, they tried to get the guy out of the car, but there were no door handles, coz it's a Tesla. It doesn't just make you into a tree-hugger, it makes you into a tree-hugging shish-ke-bob.
Come on. You are stretching to find something to complain about with the Tesla.

The statistics on deaths per mile are low for Tesla. Lower than for typical cars on road.

Handle or no handle, most people drive around with their doors locked.
It is very common for doors to be jammed after a collision.
The "jaws of life" were invented out of necessity long before Tesla.
My brother was a paramedic. He always carried a "window breaker" in his pocket, to help get into wrecked cars.

at46

Post by at46 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:03 pm

bert.douglas wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:51 pm
at46 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:50 pm
Come on. You are stretching to find something to complain about with the Tesla.

The statistics on deaths per mile are low for Tesla. Lower than for typical cars on road.

Handle or no handle, most people drive around with their doors locked.
It is very common for doors to be jammed after a collision.
The "jaws of life" were invented out of necessity long before Tesla.
My brother was a paramedic. He always carried a "window breaker" in his pocket, to help get into wrecked cars.
Heh, I'm just exaggerating a bit, it's a Chilean thing :)

Tesla has done a good mechanical engineering job ripping bits and pieces from Mercedes and Lotus. They've done an even better financial engineering job, together with their underwriters Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley, ripping the American taxpayer through subsidies, and then taking the operation overseas to China. I mean, that's a real hustle if I ever saw one. Throw in the privatization of NASA via Space-x and all hats are off to this busy body and those behind him.

As to cutting up Tesla to get jammed people out, it's actually quite tricky because of high voltage wires in unusual places and lack of training for first responders.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:07 pm

Even if Tesla did kill this one person, the gas and diesel cars have killed millions in air pollution and climate change.

Perhaps they can decide a clever piece of software added to the vehicles later that detects an abnormal situation and causes the handles to pop out.