Ski Season Los Lagos

General topics related to Living in Chile
Jamers41

Re: Ski Season Los Lagos

Post by Jamers41 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:52 pm

passport wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:59 pm
If you do go to Lonqimay, I recommend staying at Andenrose in Curacautin (right on the route to the mountain). The owner Hans is a fantastic cook and they have central heat, plenty of hot water and a big masonry stove (kachelofen) imported from Europe.
Lonquimay is the volcano that my brothers and I attempted to climb in the fall (we found out later that there's an actual path to the top) and that volcano is the mountain that is Ski Corralco.

For what it's worth, we stayed in Malalcahuello at a hotel called Nalcas (actually in one of their cabins), which I would say was acceptable, but not as good as the price would suggest (which is lame considering that it was autumn and therefore low season rates).

If I ever go back, it sounds like I should take a look at Andenrose, even if it is not as far up the valley.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:36 am

nopatria wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:49 pm
I'm assuming there is a community of people skiing back country.

Of course getting to know the right people is key (people that understand the risks and know when to not go)...
never encountered such a group, but probably out there.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:40 am

just had a thought. of you your going to find a group doing back country, it will probably be snowboarders.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

passport

Post by passport » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:40 am

Antillanca is run by a club, or was founded by a club. The club still exists. These people would be in a good position to hook you up with other back country skiers:
http://www.antillanca.cl/quienes-somos/ ... ino-osorno/

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:51 am

We went to Cerro Catedral in Bariloche a few weeks back, I know it’s the other side of the border but it was very nice, end of season but lots of snow, very friendly people, and surprisingly cheap. Great scenery too witha the lakes around. You can stay in Cerro Catedral and walk to the lifts in the morning.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

nopatria

Post by nopatria » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:49 am

thanks for the ski club tip! I was also wondering about Bariloche (and Cerro Bayo). How easy are they to get to in winter. I remember there is a boat that crosses Lago Todo los Santos but really expensive if I recall...

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:21 pm

The trip from Puerto Varas to Bariloche vía Peulla is great, I did it years ago, but it takes 2 days or so. Andesmar has buses from Chile to Bariloche, as far as I know there are no international flights to Bariloche though.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

Stella365

Post by Stella365 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:53 pm

In my opinion, you should try La Parva. It is my favourite place of all. You will definitely have a fantastic time there.