Ski Season Los Lagos

General topics related to Living in Chile
nopatria

Ski Season Los Lagos

Post by nopatria » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:40 pm

I am wondering about ski season in the south. I was in PV once in early July. I had hoped to ski Osorno but it had been raining. Seemed like maybe elevation could be an issue for southern resorts, at least for Osorno.

Can anyone tell me what a typical season is like on Volcan Osorno?
How about Pucon and Corralco?
How long does it take to get to Bariloche from Puerto Varas?
How long from town of Osorno?

nwdiver

Re: Ski Season Los Lagos

Post by nwdiver » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:30 pm

Later part of winter....often July into August....the mountains above Santiago are higher and more reliable, I like La Parva....
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:56 am

puyehue from everyone i have talked to is better than osorno, but have not skied it myself.

typicaly go to valle nevado outside of santiago. more infrastructure.

osnorno is too unpredictable to waist a day. just to find out it is raining or there are 100km hour winds. very little infrastructure.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:21 pm

Earlier this year (first week of May) I stayed with my brothers (visiting from the US) 2 nights in Malalcahuello, which is in the IX region but not nearly as well known as Pucon/Villarrica. It does have a bit more altitude since it's a mountain valley, and it turns out that there's a ski resort just a bit farther up called Corralco. While I have not carved any powder in years, I think Corralco has sufficient elevation (unlike the resort inside Puyehue, I've heard it can rain even during midseason there) to provide good conditions for at least a few solid months. It certainly won't have the crowds found up north (even Nevados de Chillan gets busy I hear), so even though I was looking at Corralco's slopes during the fall before there was any action for the season, it looked to me like a place that could qualify for "hidden gem" status.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:59 pm

yea big thumbs down on chillian. made the mistake of sking there on the 18th one year with my brother.

crappy snow (and obviously all season from the altitude), and way too many 'family first time skiers'. we turned in to the "black dimond", and there were dozens of people looking for the bunny hill that made the mistake of turning on to it from the lift scooting down on their buts. guess that is why they call it a black dimond, because you have navigate all the people that were on skis for the first time in their life. ice in the morning. slush in the afternoon. no good snow inbetween.

codelco gets good reviews, or i have never heard any complaints.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nopatria

Post by nopatria » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:06 pm

I am in a dilemma. I really love the scenery down south but from research and comments here the skiing seems to be mediocre. What is backcountry skiing like down south?

I wont ski backcountry here (Montana USA) in the winter because our avalanche danger is always so high...

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:49 pm

nopatria wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:06 pm
I am in a dilemma. I really love the scenery down south but from research and comments here the skiing seems to be mediocre. What is backcountry skiing like down south?

I wont ski backcountry here (Montana USA) in the winter because our avalanche danger is always so high...
I've heard from heavy snowboarders that Chilean resorts are expensive and outdated compared to the North American or Austrian. I've never been at any, so take it for what it's worth.

passport

Post by passport » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:52 pm

Back country skiing in the south is, of course, dicier than on-piste. A lot of the snow falls wet, then freezes and thaws, freezes and thaws, all winter. Rain is common. There are lots of rotten surfaces. Lots and lots of wind. On the other hand, the scenery is beautiful and there are hot springs waiting for you at the end of the day. I have back country skied Lonquimay, and enjoyed it, but it is a small mountain with rolling hills around it. If you are accustomed to the North American west, you will be bored. Since I'm from New England and most of our skiing is in the trees, the openness of the volcanic landscape was a big novelty. I have heard from veteran back country skiers that Llaima and Lanin are best.

passport

Post by passport » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:59 pm

If you do go to Lonqimay, I recommend staying at Andenrose in Curacautin (right on the route to the mountain). The owner Hans is a fantastic cook and they have central heat, plenty of hot water and a big masonry stove (kachelofen) imported from Europe.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:05 am

if you can ski back country then your options open up big time.

i happen to be looking at the moutains right now (from the argentina side by accident), and there is still snow. there are also glaciers that hang around all year. i was just in futa, and they had fresh snow this week, that was 2/3 pf the way down the mountain.

getting to them is the issue. of course you are on your own for safty. no one is going to come rescue you if you get in to trouble.

nopatria

Post by nopatria » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:49 pm

I'm assuming there is a community of people skiing back country.

Of course getting to know the right people is key (people that understand the risks and know when to not go)...

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:46 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:59 pm

codelco gets good reviews, or i have never heard any complaints.
Codelco? Yeah I've heard good things about it too, but now I think we're not talking about skiing :D