Need advice buying a new cell phone to bring to Chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
susiedillon

Need advice buying a new cell phone to bring to Chile

Post by susiedillon » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:17 pm

I need help with figuring out the compatability of an unlocked Samsung S9+ North American Model,(SM-G965WZAAXAC) that I can buy in Canada, with the Entel network, which is the only one servicing our rural area in Chile. This phone would need to act as a hotspot for all our internet and 3G/4G requirements. I have tried to do a comparison myself but the information I have for the Samsung and Entel seem to be using different terminology: eg. LTE B7 (2600 MHz)'.vs. Fdd LTE Bands 1,2,3,4 etc. I know there are several,highly techie members on this forum and I Just hope one of you can help me with this. We are returning to Chile in 2 weeks so I need to make a decision fairly quickly. BTW. My trusty iPhone has suddenly developed a swollen/swelling battery problem that is likely to tear it asunder very soon ... I am thus highly unlikely to buy another iPhone .... Hence the Samsung question! Thanks in advance for any help you may give me.

susiedillon

Re: Need advice buying a new cell phone to bring to Chile

Post by susiedillon » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:20 pm

These are the specs for the Samsung model I am looking at
WCDMA 900, WCDMA 1900, WCDMA 850, WCDMA 1700, LTE 2100, CDMA 800, WCDMA 2100, LTE 1800, LTE 900, GSM 1900, CDMA 1900, GSM 900, GSM 850, LTE 1900, GSM 1800, LTE 850, LTE 700, LTE 800, LTE 2600, LTE 1700
4G
HSPA, LTE, HSDPA, EDGE, GPRS

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:24 pm

susiedillon wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:17 pm
I need help with figuring out the compatability of an unlocked Samsung S9+ North American Model,(SM-G965WZAAXAC) that I can buy in Canada, with the Entel network, which is the only one servicing our rural area in Chile. This phone would need to act as a hotspot for all our internet and 3G/4G requirements. I have tried to do a comparison myself but the information I have for the Samsung and Entel seem to be using different terminology: eg. LTE B7 (2600 MHz)'.vs. Fdd LTE Bands 1,2,3,4 etc. I know there are several,highly techie members on this forum and I Just hope one of you can help me with this. We are returning to Chile in 2 weeks so I need to make a decision fairly quickly. BTW. My trusty iPhone has suddenly developed a swollen/swelling battery problem that is likely to tear it asunder very soon ... I am thus highly unlikely to buy another iPhone .... Hence the Samsung question! Thanks in advance for any help you may give me.
Have you checked https://willmyphonework.net/?

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:48 pm

Make it simple. Get a Samsung dual.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:39 pm

whatever newer smart phone you buy should work in chile. chile is a small market. nothing exotic was built just for chile's networks.

dual sim phones, i believe the s9 counts, would be useful. i just got a note 9, and it lets you swap in a second sim where the memory expansion card goes. i hated my s7, so never even looked at an s9.

the thing i would check is what the deal is with registering a foreign bought phone with the telecom authority these days. i have not followed it. perhaps someone else knows the latest news on that hassle.

fyi, i was checking some of the prices in chile vs. the u.s., and contract bought phones aside, the price of the samsung phones sold outright seems to be the same all over the world, plus or minus some local tax issues.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:37 pm

As admin says, then the price difference should be minimal. I would buy here - saves you the hassle and if something happens then it will much easier with the warranty locally.

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:02 am

Admin, do I understand correctly that an unlocked phone that works with one national carrier in Chile, will work with all the national carriers? I thought that there were some differences between the frequencies used by Claro, Entel etc. I would be happy to be wrong, it would make this purchase a lot easier! Since we move back and forth from Canada to Chile, I want to buy one phone that works well in both countries, and will buy it in Canada since my grasp of technical English is slightly better than my nil grasp of technical Spanish!

AT46, the Samsung model is nor listed on that website ( maybe too new a model) , AT46, but that is a very useful/helpful website. Now I get the B7 2600 MHz and B28 700 MHz, relationship -Thank you.

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:13 am

Reference Homologation... A weird expressions! Last November we registered a Costco-bought cellphone with no problems at all. All,that was required was a clear photocopy of the purchase receipt. As I remember, the receipt had a fair amount of info on it about both the phone and the name of the purchaser/person registering it. So at least we will be prepared if this insane thing still is being imposed.

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:04 am

admin wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:39 pm
the thing i would check is what the deal is with registering a foreign bought phone with the telecom authority these days. i have not followed it. perhaps someone else knows the latest news on that hassle.
Update re: ridiculous homologacion issue.
Yes, imported phones using a local SIM must be registered within 30 days.
In my case, since Apple replaced my defective but previously registered, iPhone 5 with a new one, I had to register/ homologate the replacement within 30 days of putting a local SIM in it. I used Dymeq again this year, and again, they proved to be efficient and speedy ( less than 24 hrs) and importantly ... FREE! What a rigamarole!