Site Admin

Re: Electric Cars in Chile

Post by admin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:39 pm

41southchile wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:18 pm
fraggle092 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:12 am
From Reddit:
We have been offgrid for 10 years because we could not get a power easement. If you can get grid tie for 12 grand, wait, if you can get grid tie for 30 grand, go for it without hesitation. You will be money ahead and you wont have to trouble shoot your power system at 8:00 on a very cold December night with a house full of relatives. Can you service/ troubleshoot an inverter/charger, charge controller, diesel engine, diesel generator end, maintain batteries, etc, etc, ad infinitum? What about cost of replacing all of the above, because you will have to. There is a reason grid power is expensive, it is difficult to produce and requires an incredibly complex infrastructure. If you have a choice get utility power it is the deal of a lifetime. Offgrid sounds very cool but the reality... I would go grid tie in a fucking heartbeat if I could. This is my humble opinion, as usual YMMV!
From someone who has been there and done it, not just talked about it.
Much of the same applies even if you have a utility hookup.
Google's results are just pages and pages of Solar hype from interested parties that want you to buy their stuff, or their ideas. Need to look at blog posts or end-user fora.

As for Solar, here's an interesting high-quality post on Scottish Solar installations that counters the omnipresent green hype. Many points raised are applicable in sunnier climes as well, but are often ignored.
...The Dutch have effectively zero hydro power because the country is flat. Scotland should have zero solar power because the Sun rarely shines..
But they keep sticking those (often wrongly-aligned) solar arrays on roofs.
This is disappointing but not that surprising I guess, and I kind of suspected as much. At the moment we are working to connect the next stage of electricity to 25 parcelas , the first stage which I sold off relatively cheap for the area to (mainly pay off some bank debt, so wanted fast sales, so they didn't get underground lines) electric connections cost aprox 18 million pesos plus IVA to provide an aerial line to all 16 parcelas, parcela owners then deal direct with the electricity company to get their individual hook up, that costs them aprox 400 to 500 thousand pesos each, (electric plan, meter etc).

The next stage which is not connected to that development I am going to do underground electricity (parcelas have gone up to pay for underground connections and the bank is a lot more friendly nowdays) . In this stage we have to extend the main distribtion line 1000 meters underground (to carry on for the next stages next year) and provide connections to 25 parcelas at the same time

A European friend was trying to convince me that I should offer off grid solar to parcelas to be "eco friendly" or whatever, and he seemed to think there is a high demand for them, I was not entirely convinced (about the demand side, people generally want simplicity) and after reading more about it, it all sounds romantic and nice, but practically I am even less convinced now.

On a simple cost basis, assuming costs come in between 80 and 100 million for what we want to do now, how much would it cost to provide an individual off grid solution to 25 parcelas ? Could it be done for less than 4 million a parcela? Probably not.

Then, also what I have been reading, the on-going issues of an off grid systems, and lifetime issues, once our on grid electricity distribution is built within the loteo, the local electric company takes control of it and all issues and maintenance are their responsibility going forward forever.

The comments above are right, it definitely appears a lot cheaper and easier and in the long term hassle free to stay on grid when the grid is to the property, maybe in the depths of Patagonia it maybe an option? but I can't see renewables working any which way I look at in our case. Maybe some solar street illumination and things like that, but that's probably about it.
especialy when they are building a major commercial wind farm down the road. let someone else do the economies of scale.

perhaps some minor solar or wind backup options for critical community things like water pumps and so on to continue to run durring power outages would be more cost effective.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:53 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:53 am
41southchile wrote:
Maybe some solar street illumination and things like that, but that's probably about it.
Even that may be problematic....

Vecinos preocupados ante robo de luminarias en vías de evacuación de Peñuelas
:roll: Scumbags
Well looks like the counciller has it sorted with the obligatory querella (and replacing them reasonably quickly) , meanwhile the families and friends of those delinquents are probably the biggest complainers that government doesn't give them enough stuff
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:01 pm

admin wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:39 pm
41southchile wrote:
fraggle092 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:12 am
From Reddit:
We have been offgrid for 10 years because we could not get a power easement. If you can get grid tie for 12 grand, wait, if you can get grid tie for 30 grand, go for it without hesitation. You will be money ahead and you wont have to trouble shoot your power system at 8:00 on a very cold December night with a house full of relatives. Can you service/ troubleshoot an inverter/charger, charge controller, diesel engine, diesel generator end, maintain batteries, etc, etc, ad infinitum? What about cost of replacing all of the above, because you will have to. There is a reason grid power is expensive, it is difficult to produce and requires an incredibly complex infrastructure. If you have a choice get utility power it is the deal of a lifetime. Offgrid sounds very cool but the reality... I would go grid tie in a fucking heartbeat if I could. This is my humble opinion, as usual YMMV!
From someone who has been there and done it, not just talked about it.
Much of the same applies even if you have a utility hookup.
Google's results are just pages and pages of Solar hype from interested parties that want you to buy their stuff, or their ideas. Need to look at blog posts or end-user fora.

As for Solar, here's an interesting high-quality post on Scottish Solar installations that counters the omnipresent green hype. Many points raised are applicable in sunnier climes as well, but are often ignored.
...The Dutch have effectively zero hydro power because the country is flat. Scotland should have zero solar power because the Sun rarely shines..
But they keep sticking those (often wrongly-aligned) solar arrays on roofs.
This is disappointing but not that surprising I guess, and I kind of suspected as much. At the moment we are working to connect the next stage of electricity to 25 parcelas , the first stage which I sold off relatively cheap for the area to (mainly pay off some bank debt, so wanted fast sales, so they didn't get underground lines) electric connections cost aprox 18 million pesos plus IVA to provide an aerial line to all 16 parcelas, parcela owners then deal direct with the electricity company to get their individual hook up, that costs them aprox 400 to 500 thousand pesos each, (electric plan, meter etc).

The next stage which is not connected to that development I am going to do underground electricity (parcelas have gone up to pay for underground connections and the bank is a lot more friendly nowdays) . In this stage we have to extend the main distribtion line 1000 meters underground (to carry on for the next stages next year) and provide connections to 25 parcelas at the same time

A European friend was trying to convince me that I should offer off grid solar to parcelas to be "eco friendly" or whatever, and he seemed to think there is a high demand for them, I was not entirely convinced (about the demand side, people generally want simplicity) and after reading more about it, it all sounds romantic and nice, but practically I am even less convinced now.

On a simple cost basis, assuming costs come in between 80 and 100 million for what we want to do now, how much would it cost to provide an individual off grid solution to 25 parcelas ? Could it be done for less than 4 million a parcela? Probably not.

Then, also what I have been reading, the on-going issues of an off grid systems, and lifetime issues, once our on grid electricity distribution is built within the loteo, the local electric company takes control of it and all issues and maintenance are their responsibility going forward forever.

The comments above are right, it definitely appears a lot cheaper and easier and in the long term hassle free to stay on grid when the grid is to the property, maybe in the depths of Patagonia it maybe an option? but I can't see renewables working any which way I look at in our case. Maybe some solar street illumination and things like that, but that's probably about it.
especialy when they are building a major commercial wind farm down the road. let someone else do the economies of scale.

perhaps some minor solar or wind backup options for critical community things like water pumps and so on to continue to run durring power outages would be more cost effective.
Yeah been thinking that too , back up generators and such. The big boys are investing 250 million USD in that project apparently, its only 2 years behind schedule which is good for Chile I think, enough capacity to power 200000 households according to their marketing .
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.