Chilean private schools compared to good US public schools

General topics related to Living in Chile
GAminer

Re: Chilean private schools compared to good US public schools

Post by GAminer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:45 pm

Stanley94 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:00 pm
I think it also depends on what level classes you take in the states. For example, if you were taking all honors-level classes, they certainly weren’t “glorified babysitting,” hence why my experience was so good. But I remember hearing about classes that were designed specifically for those who had been held back, failed classes , etc, which were basically just babysitting.
Obviously that’s terrible, but I think the separation is where my school got it right. The kids who wanted to learn and work hard were given the tools and resources to work as hard as they wanted, and get ahead as much as they wanted. Those who didn’t still had access to those same tools and resources, but obviously didn’t use them. And that’s the main complaint I’ve heard about Chilean school, that kids who excel in specific subjects aren’t able to get ahead like they can in the States, and also there isn’t such thing as “Honors, Academic, and Basic” level classes.
I’ll say again, all of my experience definitely depended on my school and the state I lived in.
As far as the states go, location probably has a lot to do with it. I believe my younger sister took honors classes, not sure as to the quality of the classes, but do remember my sister always having a lot of homework and stress. One positive I think in the states is the ability to get your GED and enroll into junior college early.