Sending mail to Canada CERTIFIED

General topics related to Living in Chile
rust

Sending mail to Canada CERTIFIED

Post by rust » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:11 pm

I recently had to send some mail to Canada: my tax return, another non-resident NR5 form, and an application for a Canadian benefit which included some documentation.

I went over to Correos, waited for my turn patiently (nowadays the mail service is really overloaded by Haitians). When I got to the desk, I sent the Tax Return and the NR5 form via "regular" mail, and sent the benefit application via "registered" -- what is really certified mail. Apparently "registered" mail is a service that no longer exists. So, I sent it all off and went my merry way.

When I got home I started tracking. Everything great. Processed just fine, it went hither and yon (as it does) and finally wound up at the airport.
ESTADO DEL ENVIO FECHA OFICINA
ENVIO DESPACHADO AL PAIS DE DESTINO 25/05/2018 15:38 AEROPUERTO
DISPONIBLE PARA SALIR AL PAIS DE DESTINO 25/05/2018 15:30 AEROPUERTO
RECIBIDO EN OFICINA DE CORREOSCHILE 24/05/2018 5:28 CEN CENTRO TECNOLOGICO POSTAL
How nice, it got on the plane! Meanwhile, at Canada Post...
Tracking No. Date / Time Description Service Type
RRnnnnnnnnnCL N/A We could not find this Tracking Number in our system Find out why. You can edit this Tracking Number. N/A
It stayed like this for days before I called Canada Post. They told me it must still be in customs. I called every few days to see what was happening, still nothing. Finally, I started calling Service Canada, asking them if it had arrived. Nothing. I called Canada Post and THEN I got someone who explained to me, that if you send something "registered" or certified, the tracking stops at the border. OHHHH, why didn't anyone say so. This person told me that if you want your mail to be trackable, send it as a small parcel.

The last chapter is this: I kept calling Service Canada to see if my mail had been received. I also checked with CRA (Revenue Canada) to see if my tax return had been received. And voilà! My tax return showed up as received, sent by REGULAR mail. I immediately called Service Canada again, and there it was, the mail had been received. So much for certified mail. And of course, as we all know, when mail gets sent to us from outside Chile, it takes at least eight weeks. Of course, Canada Post's tracking still says the same thing.

In any case, if you are going to send mail to Canada and it has to be tracked, send it as a small packet instead. Costs more, but the tracking will work.

By the way, use GMAIL to call Canada. It's free.
Estamos EN Chile! It's a way of life...

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Sending mail to Canada CERTIFIED

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:38 pm

I have a yearly payment which I do by US personal bank check to Canada every year. Last year, I did certified and found the same problem you did. So this year, I paid only 670 pesos for regular mail vs. the ripoff certified price. Both times it took about 20-21 days to get there and I know this as the check cleared and I could analyze the date stamps on the check online.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat