Posting Laptop to Chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Posting Laptop to Chile

Post by Britkid » Mon May 14, 2018 8:57 pm

My company in the US is planning to pre-configure a laptop with all necessary software and systems for my use and send it to Chile. It will be send by an individual or from the company office. Should it go regular post, or DHL/UPS/FEDEX something like that - who would send a laptop? Any reccomended/ any to avoid? Personal experiences? Tips? Thanks.

Something like that should go straight to the address in Chile without needing to go to the airport I think? Any tips for what to write/ not write on the package?

I have seen the old threads. I did a good search. I couldn't find any that really answered this, and they were out of date.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

mem

Re: Posting Laptop to Chile

Post by mem » Mon May 14, 2018 9:27 pm

It will probably get stuck in customs and you will have to hire a customs broker to get it through. Done this before. Wont really matter what carrier you send it through but usps will be the cheapest I think.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon May 14, 2018 9:42 pm

Get it sent through DHL or FedEx if it's time sensitive, you don't want an expensive laptop to be handled by Correos de Chile. They have their own customs agents and they handle customs clearance on your behalf. Customs taxes plus IVA are on you, and the shipping companies can and will charge extras for customs clearance, storage and whatever else they can throw on top. Expect to pay roughly 50% of the laptop's value in taxes.

Make sure that the person/company sending it properly identifies it as a laptop, as they will need a lithium battery disclosure form to avoid having it stuck on customs. This is the #1 mistake when shipping laptops through USPS, as they will not send that 50% of the time and Aduana will freak their sh*t out.

proger

Post by proger » Tue May 15, 2018 8:14 am

try to get a friend in aduana that can really help.

chile is so hard with that stuff, they need to learn a little from Uruguay about good postal service ...

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:36 am

you can learn something from Uruguay?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue May 15, 2018 9:14 am

Get a box in miami.

I have been using etraders.cl for several years. They can forward packages by bus to anywhere turbus runs in chile.

They have an online package manegment system that works pretty good.

I have shipped laptops, servers, construction equipment and lots of other things. Never had an issue with a lithium batteries (think your max is 180 wh battery), except the one time some idiot at the company selling the product slapped warning stickers all over a box that did not even contain any batteries.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue May 15, 2018 11:50 am

Same for Chilebox.cl by Chilexpress, they can even help to import medicaments and cosmetics because customs require recipes/certificates for them.