both VTR and Claro internet in the same house

General topics related to Living in Chile
fraggle092

Re: both VTR and Claro internet in the same house

Post by fraggle092 » Fri May 11, 2018 12:14 am

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:16 pm
Also, since I never use wifi anyway, is it possible to just turn it off? It's been a long time since I logged into my router, and I don't remember how to do it.
That's the way to go, if you dont need wifi, just turn it off. I'm sure you can find a user's manual around.

At the risk of being labelled the biggest internet bore on the forum......
Screenshot-2018-5-11 pfsense - Status Dashboard.jpg

I already use two connections for separating traffic and for redundancy. But if you need more speed, get a faster single connection. Redundancy. How many times have you gone to Servipag to pay bills and been told "no hay sistema"?
Après moi, le déluge

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri May 11, 2018 12:24 am

A while back I posted on the forum how to find the passwords to login and reconfigure VTR routers.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri May 11, 2018 12:34 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:24 am
A while back I posted on the forum how to find the passwords to login and reconfigure VTR routers.
I remember doing it before. There's a standard IP address that can be entered into a browser, to connect to the router. Then probably a default login. And maybe a password that I sorta remember. And I'm pretty sure there's a manual online, that can be found by searching for the type of router. I don't remember if it's all in Spanish, but of course there's always google translate.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri May 11, 2018 12:58 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:14 am
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:16 pm
Also, since I never use wifi anyway, is it possible to just turn it off? It's been a long time since I logged into my router, and I don't remember how to do it.
That's the way to go, if you dont need wifi, just turn it off. I'm sure you can find a user's manual around.

At the risk of being labelled the biggest internet bore on the forum......
Screenshot-2018-5-11 pfsense - Status Dashboard.jpg

I already use two connections for separating traffic and for redundancy. But if you need more speed, get a faster single connection. Redundancy. How many times have you gone to Servipag to pay bills and been told "no hay sistema"?
I don't have a speed problem, but redundancy is a good idea. I haven't had much trouble so far (just a few temporary DNS outages), but that could change. And I haven't had any problems at Servipag yet, but the main Santander branch in La Serena has had problems once or twice (as if the lines aren't slow enough on a normal day). Also I just paid my VTR bill at one of those MultiCaja's in a local store for the first time, and that worked. So no more waiting in line at Servipag for me:)
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Sat May 12, 2018 10:20 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:15 pm
jehturner wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:25 pm
MAC filtering isn't really a substitute for WPA2.
Didn't say it was. But no amount of encryption will stop passwords from getting shared, especially with kids in the family.
I see. It wasn't really clear what you were getting at. Yes, there's that (though it doesn't sound like reallycomplicated's problem).

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat May 12, 2018 3:51 pm

jehturner wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:20 am
I see. It wasn't really clear what you were getting at. Yes, there's that (though it doesn't sound like reallycomplicated's problem).
No, he just needs to shut the wifi off, end of story

I took it for granted that these days any wifi connection would be encrypted.
The problems are how passwords are generated, and then how they are kept private, its not the encryption that's at fault, unless its something lame like WEP.
Après moi, le déluge