HIV in Chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
41southchile

Re: HIV in Chile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:24 pm

Fair enough. So it's a media beat up, that's what your saying ? That's good to know, and your probably right,. The average reader here probably got more chance of slipping out the shower and breaking theirr neck, than of ever catching HIV in Chile, don't hear for education campaigns promoting safe shower exiting.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:03 am

Would not want to blaim a particular population for a diese, but in this case i believe it apropriate.

Massive influx of immigrants from two countries with out of control aids and other contagious dieses, with no functioning public health care system: haiti and venezuela.

What do a lot of these low skilled and undocumented immigrants do once they get here?

Work as prostitutes.

If you figure 200,000 immigrants from countries with 2% or more hiv infection rates (possibly higher as i dont trust the stats in those countries), we are looking at increases of 2,000 to 4,000 cases, that are imported.

Add infection rates in, to the current population, over say the last 5 years, apnd yea i could see well north of 6000 cases in chile. Basically the HIV rapte in chile got a foreign infusion of fresh cases over a very short time span.

Dont forget, hiv by itself is actuelly pretty controllable now. It is secondary infections with other things. Haiti is known for TB, and often drug resistent TB, going along with most of their hiv cases.

So, yea, another big thanks to bachelet and the sucidal left wing parties crazy ability to push the country off a cliff without looking what is below first. This is going cost the country big for generations to come.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:08 am

And, i might point out another way the left in chile screwed over the poor. The poor in chile are the ones most likly to be exposed for all kinds of reasons. They are also the ones dependent in the public health care system, while also being victims of the political reluctance of the christian lobby in chile to down play and sweep it under the covers. It implies public funding of things like sex education, etc.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:40 pm

Ah the world's oldest profession, an ongoing ad in the local San Antonio paper:

Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 2.39.30 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 2.39.30 PM.jpg (16.78 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

picalena

Post by picalena » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:16 am

I think i commented on the last thread about this, but what is concerning is the ages of the infected. In our area, of youths (15 - 29 yo) diagnosed with HIV, 70% of those are of high school age, between 15 and 18 yo. That is heartbreaking. Condoms? Great idea, except that they are very expensive and are kept under lock and key at the front of the farmacia. So no kid really wants to ask for them and pay for them. Even if they got them, I suspect that might not use them correctly, because who can afford to practice when they are so expensive.

As far as being easily treatable, I wonder how accessible those drugs are in Chile? I have no idea actually, just wondering if they are here in adequate quantities and if they are reasonably affordable/covered by ISAPRE.

http://www.redinformativa.cl/portada/70 ... nza-media/

pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

Julito

Post by Julito » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:15 pm

Kept under lock and key... not everywhere, they're on display in a glass fronted cabinet where I last saw them here though I didn't look at the price.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:02 am

Condoms are sold everywhere, not just pharmacies.

The only cure for being a horney irresponcible teenager is turning in to a horney irresponcible adault. :shock:

Yea, still i think society, not just chile, spends way too much time and resources worrying about things that are fundementally uncontrolable or at least even if controllled have little impact on society overall. I am sure there will always be sexeully transmitted dieses. HIV is a risk to societies with far bigger underlying social problems (e.g. womens rights and education levels, public health services, etc), and how far and fast HIV spreads is typically a symptom of those much bigger problems.

But as long as everyone focuses on those sideshow, guess there is no need to worry about the bigger risks.
More people just died crossing the street on their way to have unprotected sex, than ever died from HIV. No one spends billions of dollars and millions of hours talking about trying to control for that much bigger risk.

A recent example that blows me away is the stupid debate about transgender children's and their paprents ability to change their sex officially. Sooooo much time and money was waisted on a debate that means nothing to 99.99999% of the population, just let them do it and move on to discussing the next social problem. Even the hardest core religious conservatives must see there are more important social and political battles to be fought. The country is not going to collapse because a handful of kids checked a diffrent box at the civil registry.

The chilean media is super good at talking minor issues to death.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:28 am

I think pl makes some good points. Going into a phar.macy and asking for a condom must be embarrassing to a teenager. There is a balance to be had between ease of access to condoms and not encouraging sex too soon, but it sounds like more could be done on the ease of access.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:39 am

Right so this apparently explains the jump in HIV cases
The young uns are getting free and loose with any and everyone, and don't care or realise risks. https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/world/ ... ids-spike/
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”