Santiago Vehicle Restrictions 2018

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Re: Santiago Vehicle Restrictions 2018

Post by Britkid » Wed May 02, 2018 11:57 am

http://www.mtt.gob.cl/restriccion2018

Here is the calendar for May. The 21st is a holiday so no restriction.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Thu May 03, 2018 4:52 pm

I had not noticed the fact that it only applies within the Vespucio ring. I don't exactly how much of Santiago that covers, but almost all of the eastern municipalities (Las Condes, Vitacura, La Reina and lo Barnechea) are thus not affected - same goes for some of the biggest muni's like la Florida, Puente Alto and Maipu. Seems like the new government watered down the original proposal considerably. Was also supposed to have been 2 digits per day and not just one.
I cannot see that this initiative makes any difference whatsoever to polution levels and I think it barely makes a difference to day-to-day traffic congestion...

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Thu May 03, 2018 5:28 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 4:52 pm
I had not noticed the fact that it only applies within the Vespucio ring. I don't exactly how much of Santiago that covers, but almost all of the eastern municipalities (Las Condes, Vitacura, La Reina and lo Barnechea) are thus not affected - same goes for some of the biggest muni's like la Florida, Puente Alto and Maipu. Seems like the new government watered down the original proposal considerably. Was also supposed to have been 2 digits per day and not just one.
I cannot see that this initiative makes any difference whatsoever to polution levels and I think it barely makes a difference to day-to-day traffic congestion...
I hadn't picked up on that. I only use the car outside the Americo Vespucio ring road, otherwise I use public transport. The worst pollution is, in fact, within that ring, so I suppose it is a nod to that. The present government was left with the announced restriction so I suppose they just watered it down as much as they could and put it in motion.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri May 04, 2018 3:10 pm

Yeah, glad it is not outside Vespucio, we have family and our most visited mall just outside, although we usually go on the weekend.

Airport is also outside the ring road so is exempt.

I didn't realize the ring road was complete in the north east. Because it is the only section where it isn't a motorway, it sort of disappears, but is actually still there.

Does anyone know if there is an exception for people driving straight through Santiago on the Ruta 5 motorway?
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268