Rain

General topics related to Living in Chile
mem

Re: Rain

Post by mem » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:30 pm

No shortage of rain in araucania. Id say its raining around 60 -70% of the time. Massive rain. I know cause I look for the sunny days for a nice hot passive solar shower without having to use the gas califont

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:28 pm

I heard that during the rain season, Santiasco sky gets pretty clean but then the vast amount of rain inundates the streets. How is the drainage manage to disperse all downed rain water? Does the city have under ground holding dams as in Tokyo?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:16 pm

mem wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:30 pm
No shortage of rain in araucania. Id say its raining around 60 -70% of the time. Massive rain. I know cause I look for the sunny days for a nice hot passive solar shower without having to use the gas califont

Here in Puente Alto in the RM, we could use much more rain. We had a good dumping over 2 weeks ago, and we had some recent Sunday morning showers (amplified I think by our slightly higher altitude compared to other parts of Santiago), but even so we are well behind average.

Last year at this time everything was very green, this year some new grass is just starting to sprout from this ground as of this week.

They're saying more water is coming this weekend, fingers crossed.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:22 pm

Here comes the rain to central chile this weekend. Looks like flooding around temuco already.

https://m.accuweather.com/en/weather-ne ... d/70005331

Our seasonal lakes in the fields next door seem to be sticking around, which is typically a sign the soil is very saturated and another good down pour might result in some mud slides. I seen a few small trees washed off a hill on the way to town, which indicates the land is on the move.

A couple of years ago i came flying around a corner, and there was a cubic hector of land, and a small forest, in the middle of the road. I was able to break in time before hitting the mud slide. Some large truck had already driven around the side, and even though i know better, maneged to pick my way through it in the truck tracks.

This time of year i typically throw my battery powered saw and some long blades in the jeep just in case. Trees or just large branches down on the road are more common than a full mud slide. They do like to cut roads in to steep hill sides here, and then not spend the money to retain the soil.

A big storm is overall fine with me. Time to dig out the skis anyway. I have a ski trip scheduled for next week.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:46 pm

Well, while the rest of the world is on fire, I dont think anything will be burning in southern chile anytime soon.

Looks like we are suppose to get about 100mm, today. That is after a steady soaking rain all weekend in frutillar. Got a few lakes in the field next door I have never seen, and water creeping across the roads. Nothing sufficiently deep to be a major concern yet, but getting there.

Took a drive to the store, and nearly hit a manhole cover that had been pushed up and out of the hole by the force of the water. Would have done some serious damage had it been hit at even moderate speed.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:10 pm

Here's some great English humour in a Peppa Pig episode which is ostensibly a kids programme but some of the jokes are for the adults watching.

Let's hope you don't get as much rain as this episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reR7I4WiqkU

mem

Post by mem » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:50 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:46 pm
Well, while the rest of the world is on fire, I dont think anything will be burning in southern chile anytime soon.

Looks like we are suppose to get about 100mm, today. That is after a steady soaking rain all weekend in frutillar. Got a few lakes in the field next door I have never seen, and water creeping across the roads. Nothing sufficiently deep to be a major concern yet, but getting there.

Took a drive to the store, and nearly hit a manhole cover that had been pushed up and out of the hole by the force of the water. Would have done some serious damage had it been hit at even moderate speed.
Yeah, I have to say, the south is great for water/rain. I was looking at droughts in Chile over the last hundred years and basically all of them have been north and central Chile. Typically they get down to the Bio Bio region but not further. There was one drought in the late 90's that reduced rainfall during the rain season to some extent that got as far down as Los Lagos, but it still rained enough...it wasn't like livestock were dying from a lack of green grass or people dying of thirst from rivers/wells drying up that far south.

I think a lot of expats really don't appreciate the rainy weather of the south as much as they should. They complain about it being too wet/cold/rainy and so they look father north for a sunny dry climate, but don't really consider the risks involved with drought. Water is a resource that really takes priority in my book. If that means I have to deal with more heating, less sun, I think it's a good trade. Personally I'd rather have a climate that is on the colder side than is on the hotter side, but that is personal preference. That all being said, I have been pretty surprised by the amount of sunny days we have had in the last few weeks in region 9.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:59 pm

mem, do your reference sources of rainfall/drought in Chile go back more than a hundred years like back to the early conquistador/colonial era or possibly pre-Colombian native stories? If so, please direct me.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

mem

Post by mem » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:04 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:59 pm
mem, do your reference sources of rainfall/drought in Chile go back more than a hundred years like back to the early conquistador/colonial era or possibly pre-Colombian native stories? If so, please direct me.
Ehh, just boring ole wikipedia. There are some data goes back further on the below page, but nothing pre-Columbian

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drought_in_Chile

mem

Post by mem » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:13 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:59 pm
Your question sparked my interest, and I found this article about pre-columbian drought that focues on the west coasts for North and South america. Most of it is about California, but it mentions quite a bit Peru, Bolivia, and Chile as well as Patagonia since its really a western hemisphere/west coast of the pacific phenomenon

Wow, epic multi-decade droughts if you go farther back...civilization ending droughts. I wish it went into more detail about how far down the coast in Chile the pre-columbian droughts were. I am not surprised about Peru or even central/northern Chile, but I wonder if these much older droughts actually had deleterious effects on southern Zona Sur and Zona Austral.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/405 ... ORNIA.html

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:20 pm

Awesome, got to start somewhere and a list of references can always branch out into the info one is looking for.

I want to see if their are matches to the historical solar minimums of the past 1000 years and/or the giant volcanic or multiple volcanic eruptions that changed the global climate.

Yes, these events probably led to the collapse of many civs like the Maya and the mound builders of North America among others.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:42 pm

Seen an article somewhere this morning pegging the value of water rights at 1.5 to 63 million pesos per liter per second, depending on the area. Higher numbers are in places all water rights are locked. Around the wine and fruit areas for instance

I think they pulled that out of their ..... it was just click bait for some web site.

But, if they are right, move over jeff bezos a trillion pesos just landed in my front yard (per second).