renewing US passport by mail

General topics related to Living in Chile
admin
Site Admin

Re: renewing US passport by mail

Post by admin » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:05 pm

santander can issue a U.S. corporate check in dollars, drawn on santander's own wells fargo account in the States.
I am sure there are other banks that can do it.

How would that not qualify?

I am not even sure why they use wells fargo, because santander has branches in the united states (but that is what they do, probably so the U.S. goverment can trace all american's money easily in one place)
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:06 pm

By the way, my U.S. passport expired years ago. I have not missed it at all.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:00 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:05 pm
santander can issue a U.S. corporate check in dollars, drawn on santander's own wells fargo account in the States.

I am not even sure why they use wells fargo, because santander has branches in the united states (but that is what they do, probably so the U.S. goverment can trace all american's money easily in one place)
All I know is the embassy's website says you have to get the check from Banco de Chile. But it doesn't say why.

So I got my check today. It was drawn on a US bank. But it was made payable to "Embajada de Estados Unidos", even though I told them it needed to be "U.S. Embassy" in English. So I sent another email to the embassy, hoping they'll finally answer my question (this is my 3rd try). They replied to the email I sent yesterday, and answered half of my question. But not the half I needed.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:26 pm

I just got a reply from the embassy, and it sounds like the check should be ok.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

mem

Post by mem » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:54 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:18 pm
Thinking back, payment was secondary to this piss off:

4. A photocopy of both sides of your Chilean ID (carnet)

I know they can easily get this info but why ask for it? Fuck them :!:

BTW, this is not asked for if done in person...

EDIT: YES, THAT is the reason I did it in person.
Hmm so that brings up a question...

My wife is in the middle of tramite. Her last visa expired in early January as well as the Carnet she had, and she applied for an extension in December and we are still waiting for the new visa, but her passport expires soon so...

Is it okay to show a photocopy of the most recent but expired carnet for the passport renewal? I really want her to get the new passport before she gets the new visa so that the new visa can go into her new passport

mem

Post by mem » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:55 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:00 pm
admin wrote:

All I know is the embassy's website says you have to get the check from Banco de Chile. But it doesn't say why.

So I got my check today. It was drawn on a US bank. But it was made payable to "Embajada de Estados Unidos", even though I told them it needed to be "U.S. Embassy" in English. So I sent another email to the embassy, hoping they'll finally answer my question (this is my 3rd try). They replied to the email I sent yesterday, and answered half of my question. But not the half I needed.
Did you have an account already at banco de chile where you got the vale vista?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:04 pm

Kind of wish they would go back to out sourcing the state department to india.

Frigen gringos are useless. :mrgreen:

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:11 pm

mem wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:55 pm
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:00 pm
admin wrote:

Did you have an account already at banco de chile where you got the vale vista?
I didn't (and still don't) have an account at banco de chile, and noone there even asked about it (unless they tried asking me in Spanish, and just gave up). I just showed them the instructions I printed from the embassy's website (both English and Spanish):
https://cl.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... -passport/
https://cl.usembassy.gov/es/u-s-citizen ... rio-ds-82/

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:40 pm

Does anyone here know if a photo from one of those built-in laptop webcams, is good enough for a passport photo?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:29 pm

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:40 pm
Does anyone here know if a photo from one of those built-in laptop webcams, is good enough for a passport photo?
Be careful here but I did my own and was not rejected but YMMV.

Used a point and shoot digital cam and followed the instructions EXACTLY for dimensions and other criteria. Printed out in high quality setting on premium photo paper on my average ink jet printer.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:40 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:29 pm
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:40 pm
Be careful here but I did my own and was not rejected but YMMV.

Used a point and shoot digital cam and followed the instructions EXACTLY for dimensions and other criteria. Printed out in high quality setting on premium photo paper on my average ink jet printer.
Thanks. I was thinking about using my old digital camera, but couldn't find all the cables and stuff. But maybe I'd be better off getting that to work, than using my webcam. And I have one of those 3-in-1 hp inkjet printers, which is probably similar to what you have. Either that, or there's probably someplace I could go in La Serena that takes pictures. I just don't know if they're familiar with all the requirements for US passports.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:53 am

Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:40 am
there's probably someplace I could go in La Serena that takes pictures. I just don't know if they're familiar with all the requirements for US passports.
You can bring the specs to one of the local shops and they should be able to comply with the specs but they are probably more familiar doing fotos for visa applications these days.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat