renewing US passport by mail

General topics related to Living in Chile
Putenio

Re: renewing US passport by mail

Post by Putenio » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:48 pm

FWIW/FYI

Mine is in process now, there wasn't an indication to write on them, and we didn't.
Enjoying the beautiful southern peninsula of Puerto Montt in the heart of it all.
Tenio Natural Reserve: http://www.visitsouthernchile.blogspot.com

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:55 pm

Putenio wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:48 pm
FWIW/FYI

Mine is in process now, there wasn't an indication to write on them, and we didn't.
I was going to put them in a small plastic bag. Then rubber band that to my passport, to keep them from bending. So maybe I'll just put my name on the bag.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:15 pm

Oh Lord! Why don´t you just keep it simple! Don´t put it in a plastic bag, do not write on it or rubber banded. Get over and done with it. You called them, they told you what to do so learn how to follow their directions or you will be wasting your time and everyone else that´s answering.....please!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese. I sayeth as I seeth.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:47 pm

Gloria wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:15 pm
Oh Lord! Why don´t you just keep it simple! Don´t put it in a plastic bag, do not write on it or rubber banded. Get over and done with it. You called them, they told you what to do so learn how to follow their directions or you will be wasting your time and everyone else that´s answering.....please!
You can skip over posts that don't interest you, so you don't waste your time. That's what I do with most of yours, and it works pretty good.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:41 pm

This topic truly interest me and I'm grateful for the input but you are "dilly dallying" so much that the valuable part gets lost and drives me nuts that you cannot make up your mind in following procedures. Send the old passport with plastic bags, rubber bands, signed and a sandwich for the road.....but send it!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese. I sayeth as I seeth.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:18 pm

Gloria wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:41 pm
This topic truly interest me and I'm grateful for the input but you are "dilly dallying" so much that the valuable part gets lost and drives me nuts that you cannot make up your mind in following procedures. Send the old passport with plastic bags, rubber bands, signed and a sandwich for the road.....but send it!
If I could find an official procedure that actually works, I would follow it. If I have questions about something that could cause my application to be delayed, rejected, lost in the mail, etc. I'm going to look for answers. If that drives you nuts, then please just skip this thread. It drives me nuts too, and you're not helping.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:09 pm

mem wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:03 pm
...if I were to do this over again. I would have bought the DHL return airbill and then chilexpress'd everything to the embassy (Next day service everywhere in chile.)
I was going to take your advice, and use chilexpress. But then I ran out of time yesterday and used DHL, since I had to go there anyway. And I figured if there's a problem, I know I can talk to someone in English. So I dropped it off in La Serena. Checked the tracking, and it said it was dropped off in Antofagasta (only off by 680 km). So maybe I'll get lucky, and it'll get to Santiago by monday.

Putenio

Post by Putenio » Mon May 14, 2018 6:03 pm

FWIW/FYI

Notified late last week, tried to get it Friday but DHL was closed, so got it this afternoon. 4 weeks or so.
Enjoying the beautiful southern peninsula of Puerto Montt in the heart of it all.
Tenio Natural Reserve: http://www.visitsouthernchile.blogspot.com

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu May 17, 2018 2:21 pm

Putenio wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:03 pm
FWIW/FYI

Notified late last week, tried to get it Friday but DHL was closed, so got it this afternoon. 4 weeks or so.
It's been about 3 weeks so far for me. The status website said it was printed and sent to the embassy at least a week ago. But the embassy said they didn't receive it yet. So I'm hoping mine will get here in 4 weeks too.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed May 23, 2018 11:11 pm

Mine was ready for pickup at DHL yesterday, and I picked it up earlier today. So it took about 3 1/2 weeks. Not bad. The hardest part was the photo, since I did it myself and had a lot to learn about digital photography. And in my case, it would have gone a lot faster if I could have talked to someone at the embassy, instead of having to email questions. I could have saved time for both myself, and the embassy people, with a 5-10 minute phone call. Email sucks for getting questions answered.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Sat May 26, 2018 11:12 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:09 pm
So I dropped it off in La Serena. Checked the tracking, and it said it was dropped off in Antofagasta (only off by 680 km).
I've seen that before with DHL. I think it must be their regional processing centre for Northern Chile or something. Still gets here when an envelope comes in with ANF on it.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sun May 27, 2018 12:34 am

jehturner wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:12 pm
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:09 pm
So I dropped it off in La Serena. Checked the tracking, and it said it was dropped off in Antofagasta (only off by 680 km).
I've seen that before with DHL. I think it must be their regional processing centre for Northern Chile or something. Still gets here when an envelope comes in with ANF on it.
That's what I figured. It just seems wierd that it needs to travel about 1800 km, to get somewhere that's only 400 km away.