looking for a reliable (?) gasfiter

General topics related to Living in Chile
paladin

looking for a reliable (?) gasfiter

Post by paladin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:46 pm

I know it’s a tall order, but does anyone know of such a person who can do a small job for me in Chicureo? I’ve had ones who sometimes turn up as agreed, but lost touch with them. thanks

Maker42

Re: looking for a reliable (?) gasfiter

Post by Maker42 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:57 pm

I think your subject line could be the opening of a stand up comedian routine. "So the other day I was looking for a reliable gasfiter in Chile." :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know a couple of not terrible ones in my area, but that doesn't help you. Sorry.

peregrine77

Post by peregrine77 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:20 pm

Now that's funny!
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
Simon and Garfunkel

passport

Post by passport » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Isn't any plumber a gasfitter as well?

paladin

Post by paladin » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:05 pm

passport wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:47 pm
Isn't any plumber a gasfitter as well?

Yes, but in Chile, for some reason unbeknown to me, a plumber is called a gas fiter even though he may be unable to (reliably) work on gas fittings.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:11 pm

Yes, you and everyone else in Chile! But one possibility might be to go and ask at Sodimac; here they have a board up with a few contacts that claim to be SEC-approved (which I'd hope might mean that they'll solder things properly instead of finding the leak afterwards and slapping a bit more tin on it, for example). I haven't actually tried this though, due to some combination of having mainly small jobs, doing it myself and/or my employer fixing its housing.

paladin

Post by paladin » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:31 pm

Another example of how things are. Yesterday I saw a webpage of a gasfiter located in Chicureo who’s been around for 25 years etc etc, so I emailed him, with a photo explaining what needed to be done and asked if he was interested. He replied within an hour saying he’d be here this morning. So I stayed at home waiting, but as would be expected, he never arrived ! It really is beyond me how these people operate.
So I’ve decided that like just about every other job I’ve had around the house, I’ll do it myself. A small investment in a blow lamp is all I need as I know how to solder anyway.

jehturner; thanks for your idea but those people advertising in Sodimac, are just the same; they turn up if and when it suits them.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:43 pm

Yes, my experience with the Sodimac recommendations is that they may be good at what they do but they don't show up - so who knows?

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:44 pm

Duplicate

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:12 pm

paladin wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:31 pm
Another example of how things are. Yesterday I saw a webpage of a gasfiter located in Chicureo who’s been around for 25 years etc etc, so I emailed him, with a photo explaining what needed to be done and asked if he was interested. He replied within an hour saying he’d be here this morning. So I stayed at home waiting, but as would be expected, he never arrived ! It really is beyond me how these people operate.
So I’ve decided that like just about every other job I’ve had around the house, I’ll do it myself. A small investment in a blow lamp is all I need as I know how to solder anyway.

jehturner; thanks for your idea but those people advertising in Sodimac, are just the same; they turn up if and when it suits them.
This is why people that intend to live in Chile permanently needs to be self sufficient, other wise you´ll be at the mercy of unscrupulous maggots. So let Google and Youtube help you and do it yourself! If you have questions about how to, give us a shout to be able to help you.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:04 pm

Gasfiter or Gafiter:
from English Gasfitter.
Tradesman who makes unreliable and/or dangerous plumbing and gas installations with soldered joints that are guaranteed to leak within a short period.

Guachimán o Huachimán:
from English Watchman
Employee who sleeps on the job when not engaged with Febú or Huasap.

Febú:
from English Facebook: Online timewaster.

Wasap o Huasap:
from English Whatsapp.
Major internet timewaster. Has replaced most meaningful activities (including work) in Chile.
Après moi, le déluge

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:17 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:04 pm
Gasfiter or Gafiter:
from English Gasfitter.
Tradesman who makes unreliable and/or dangerous plumbing and gas installations with soldered joints that are guaranteed to leak within a short period.

Guachimán o Huachimán:
from English Watchman
Employee who sleeps on the job when not engaged with Febú or Huasap.

Febú:
from English Facebook: Online timewaster.

Wasap o Huasap:
from English Whatsapp.
Major internet timewaster. Has replaced most meaningful activities (including work) in Chile.
Condorito1.jpg
Condorito1.jpg (15.38 KiB) Viewed 698 times
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.