Hunting

General topics related to Living in Chile
The wanderer

Hunting

Post by The wanderer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:38 am

Hi guys im new here, have been reading for a while but never posted.

I know this topic has been done before but its all old information.

So basically i have wanted to move to south America for a long time either chile or Argentina. I would definitely prefer chile but im just unsure about the hunting situation there. This is important to me as its my source of food, i live off the land grow and hunt my own food I've done this in other countries I've lived and its my way of life.

I plan to purchase some land in a ruarl area about 10 acres, obviously this is not enough to hunt on, so is there public land to hunt on? Do ranch owners give permission? I know gun ownership is difficult but im ok to hunt with a bow.

Any other information you can give would be greatly appreciated.

HybridAmbassador

Re: Hunting

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:57 pm

Do you really have to hunt wild animals for your protein source for survival? If acquiring 10 acres of land, rise chickens and swines, sheeps-cows along the other good crops. That way, no need to rely on hunted meats me thinking?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

The wanderer

Post by The wanderer » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:00 am

This is certainly an option I've considered, but I've always hunted for my meat and it's not something I'm looking to debate, just any information as to how the hunting is in Chile.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:21 am

You can hunt in chile, and techically you need a hunting license for most types of game.

When it gets beucratcaly complicated is hunting with a gun. If you want to do that, then search the forum.

If your say in southern chile (patagonia) and willing to hunt red dear and wild boar with a bow (or other none-fire arm) then you do not need a license. Both are considered an invasive none-native species and can be taken without limit, all year around. Cant recall, but i Think the large hairs / rabbits are also on that list.

In the patagonoa they hunt wild boar with dogs and a machete (i.e. the dogs do all the work). Hurds of argentina red deer are really common around la junta in the patagonia, as they were brought in for hunting reserve years ago and they got loose.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

The wanderer

Post by The wanderer » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:06 am

That's good to hear about the bow hunting, what about the land to hunt on, is it all private property or is there public land there also?

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:33 pm

Whmmm, anyone remember the tough guy living in Alaska wilderness wanting to come to Chile to live and hunt for food supply?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:06 am

Boar are the only real game........but you can't own a firearm for several years so it would be bow hunting........ Getting a firearms license is a tedious process that includes many "no, not possibles" in it.......
It's all about the wine.

The wanderer

Post by The wanderer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:13 am

I see many Outfitters there say that you can bring in your own firearm, maybe theres a way to do it like that.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:52 pm

This is not really a firearm friendly country. You would be much better off in the US, Mexico, Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia. You would be terminally frustrated here.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:36 pm

The wanderer wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:13 am
I see many Outfitters there say that you can bring in your own firearm, maybe theres a way to do it like that.

Short time, licenced hunters that are non residents........yes, check in with it, check out without it......go directly to jail

You want something that is not going to happen........
It's all about the wine.

The wanderer

Post by The wanderer » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:30 am

I guess it's bow hunting only, hopefully it's easy enough to get licenses for the different game.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:50 pm

I asked a captain in the carbineros about this one time, regarding guided hunting with firearms and foreigners. He said, yea technically it is illegal, but if your standing next to guide, and he hands you the rifle to take the shot, how are we going to know that.

Still, as a foreigner, without residency, if you get caught with a firearm, expect to be swiftly shown to the door. Let's just say, that foreigners with guns, tend to make the powers that be in Chile nervous, considering the neighborhood we are in.

There was a guide service in the Patagonia that was doing bow hunting with foreigners. Don't know if they are still around. Might however be worth hiring them, just to get crash course in all the ins and outs of bow hunting in Chile.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.