Dirty Tricks - Operación Huracán

General topics related to Living in Chile
tiagoabner

Re: Dirty Tricks - Operación Huracán

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:41 pm

Some of the systems I work with sometimes fail to recognize the Chilean timezone. And I'm not taking about small, obscure stuff: Google Authenticator wasn't working last year for a couple of months due to that.

Now, from what can be seen, this dude managed to get a keylogger or screenshot app at the phones. That would explain having text but not audio. This whole story still smells quite fussy, so I'm sure we will still hear more about this.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:23 am

Yea, a service guy and I just had a fight with a very expensive new printer, that did not have the Chilean time zone in the configurations. When I went to google the current GMT time for Chile, I got like 5 different responses from various time / date web sites.

I run in to open source software all the time that does correct for the time zone for Chile. I had a native module, in PHP the scripting language, not reporting the Chilean time zone at all. Also a few linux distributions I have seen not report the time zone correctly, especially when congress is messing with the time zone. Typically it gets corrected eventually, but it is really slow compared to other countries and I believe that is mostly due the very small, small community of competent tech guys that even know there is something wrong, and have any idea how to report and fix it.

My all time favorite Chilean tech screw-up was Nic chile (guys that manage the .cl namespace). I was having trouble with a .cl site or something. My knee-jerk reaction now when it comes to Chile's internet connection behaving badly is to check for DNS problems first, because I have had so many issues with the ISP name servers over the years. VTR's internet went down once, all over southern Chile. I discovered their DNS servers had a dirty catch, because I could ping my servers but was getting inconsistent results from public name servers. I called VTR, told the stupid girl on the phone that their catch was bad, she had no idea what I was talking about. Surprisingly 20 mins later I got a call back from the head of VTR's IT department to say thanks. They had been trying to run down the problem for several hours. Flattering, but how the hell do you run a major ISP and not check your DNS catches first as standard operating procedure as soon as any problem arises?

Well, this one particular time, one thing lead to another as I was trying to figure out if it was my network or something else, and I discovered the whole Chilean namespace was being routed through China. At least everything in the .cl World I could see, seemed to be taking a world tour. A boarder gateway router in China was advertising for Chile's namespace, and Chile's routers all seem to have been responding to it. I kind of shrugged my shoulders at the time and thought, 'well, that is typical, but if I found it (I was not even looking for it) they will eventually figure it out and fix it'.

Three months later, there is some wanker that works for nic chile, being hailed as some sort of super tech hero for having discovered the problem. It took you 3 months to realize the whole country is being hi-jacked by a router in China, and you think your some sort of frigen genius? They all should have been fired for not discovering and fixing it immediately.

Every few years, I think to myself, 'well, kind of looks like Chile's IT eco-system is finally improving'; then something like this happens that reminds me just how many posers and pretenders there are working in the IT biz in Chile; and not minor positions. Very serious, and important positions.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:46 pm

The time issue comes up again.
According to the PDI some of these phones were interfered with after their owners were taken into custody.

Even here though, there is something odd, according to this
aprehendieron al comunero cerca de las 14.01 del 23 de septiembre y a las 23.25 de ese día el equipo entró en cadena de custodia. Este aparato tiene la particularidad de que los archivos que contienen diálogos que hablan sobre atentados fueron creados esa misma jornada, alrededor de las 20.30.
The police arrest one of the suspects at 2pm.
Incriminating messages found on his phone were created around 8:30pm.
The phone itself only entered the chain of custody at 11:35pm

Amateur hour in Carabineros.
Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:35 am

and, it is probably as simple as they tried to copy and pasted the data, rather than taking a read only image that does not change the file access times (i.e. don't 'touch' the data). Computer forensics calls for extraordinary care, patients, and precision. Not something that comes naturally in Chilean culture. Sloppy-joe, copy and pasting the contents from a device in windows, does not make for good evidence.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:06 pm

Hmm. Apparently he showed how it works on TV yesterday. Very different from the initial report...
Very smelly

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:48 pm

What little qualification he claimed to have, seems to be fake.

http://www.24horas.cl/nacional/fiscalia ... picks=true

The strangest thing is, now that i have seen his face, i swear i know the guy from somewhere. I met him, or seen him on tv for something else. Highly possible. I did live in temuco for a few years. Not that big of city, might have met him just walking around.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:59 am

Well, seems the software he claims to have created, does not exist either.
http://www.latercera.com/nacional/notic ... lsa/73531/

http://www.latercera.com/nacional/notic ... ste/73081/

Which, just puts more and more in to question not only every case involving digital evidence he ever "touched", but every case the entire government ever brought if they are so ignorant of their job.

In what other cases, did some lazy contractor or the government official, invent evidence due to their own incompetence?

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:17 pm

I fear the issues you raise regarding chain of evidence are academic. How many Chilean attorneys will become aware of this issue, understand it, contact their client, and bring the matter to court?

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:33 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:59 am
In what other cases, did some lazy contractor or the government official, invent evidence due to their own incompetence?
The scary thing is that had this bs had been concocted by Carabineros to frame a private individual, the fiscalía would have probably continued with a prosecution.
Rhodolite wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:17 pm
I fear the issues you raise regarding chain of evidence are academic. How many Chilean attorneys will become aware of this issue, understand it, contact their client, and bring the matter to court?
Exactly. Perhaps the current state of disarray is preferable to having two separate LEAs acting in concert to subvert the law against virtually defenceless individuals, even ones with the financial resources to put up a decent defence.
SpaceCat made this point in an earlier post, and I must admit now that he is closer to the truth than I gave him credit for.

However there are leftwing abogados who have made fortunes out of picking holes in state evidence, the Caso Bombas being a noteworthy example.

Even the phone conversations of Senator Andrés Zaldívar, President of the Chilean Senate, were recently tapped by the fiscalía, and they also leaked this to the media. No charges were ever brought, and after a few weeks the whole affair inexplicably died. Thats the level of impunity these people have; my guess is that this harassment was politically motivated and was conducted at the behest of the Bachelet administration..

https://www.eldinamo.cl/nacional/2017/1 ... -zaldivar/

Many Chileans are worried over the role of the fiscalía which has accumulated a lot of unchecked power.
Like many things Chilean, the deeper one goes, the murkier it becomes.
Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:10 am

Many Chileans are worried over the role of the fiscalía which has accumulated a lot of unchecked power.
Hardly the reality. The media and the left likes to spin it that way, but when you got guys running around the streets that have been arrested over 100 times for very serious crimes, and are still free, well....

The not so dirty secret (secret, but very dirty) is that that the left overhauled the judicial system some years back, and put all the power squarely in to the hands of the defendant, gutted the power of the prosecutors, and lowered the bar dramatically for judges to cut a defendant free.

Meanwhile, they implemented a system of both public and private criminal defense attorneys that literally just need to say "boo" to the prosecutor, and due to the massive workload on the prosecutors desk, they have to drop the case. If a defense attorney as much as pretends to put up a fight, in most cases the prosecutor has no time or resources to take on the challenge unless it is a super-high profile case. I am talking ho-hum robberies, assaults, etc. Forget trying to prosecute anything involving complex digital evidence.

For example, at one point a few years ago, in the lakes region, there was three prosecutors actually working out of the 7 that are technically suppose to be working. One was on leave, two of the positions were open waiting for someone to be hired, and so on.

Their normal workload, was something like 10,000 pending cases a month, each. The math worked out to something like they had 3-5 mins to work on each case a month. What can you do in less than 5 mins with a case? Dismiss it or settle / plea deal it away. Even settling it takes more time and resources than they had.

Which leads me to what I suspect is going on with the police. The police in Chile are in a tail-spin of demoralizing lack of progress. Imagine you bust your rear for months on an investigation, just to have the prosecutors say they are too busy to prosecute and cut the guys loose. Little by little that wears on the institution. Why do your job, if no one else in the judicial system is doing their job? Why bother being honest and working hard, when the criminals always win by definition? Why not take a bribe, stick extra institutional money in your pocket, if the bad guys are making more money than you are?

The classic signs are all there. The terrible thing is, that once that takes hold in an institution, it is really hard to get rid of.

That is not just a Chilean problem. Very common all over the U.S. and many other places. Just Chile is going through a very serious and growing case of a broken judicial system that needs a serious over-haul.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:00 pm

Re the unchecked power of the fiscalía:
admin wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:10 am
Hardly the reality. The media and the left likes to spin it that way

My previous post mentioned briefly the odd affair of senior DC Senator Andrés Saldivar, subject to phone tapping and leaked accusations of human trafficking by the fiscalía. My guess is that this accusation was trumped up by the present government for obscure political ends. It all quickly fizzled out.

Tomas Bradanovic, a guy who knows what he's talking about and no left-winger either, has written on this topic from an informed perspective, highlighting this governments lack of compunction in the use of state organs for purely selfish political purposes, to promote their continuity in power or to settle scores. Disquieting stuff.
admin wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:10 am
but when you got guys running around the streets that have been arrested over 100 times for very serious crimes, and are still free, well....

I am not any sort of an expert on Chilean law. However it is impossible to avoid absorbing some knowledge just by reading the local news which consists of virtually nothing else.
These baddies are running around thanks to the famous "puerta giratoria". This has multiple reasons for existing:

Firstly, The reforma procesal penal, introduced as a pre-requisite for OECD membership, with its emphasis on the presumption of innocence. Works in Europe, but they are more civilized there, or rather more law-abiding honest and efficient at all levels. Not to forget the huge amount of crime now comitted by under-18s who are well aware of their legal impunity.

Two: the jails are full to bursting. And for governments that make such a show of compassion as these ones do, a jail construction or concession program designed to lock yet more people away doesn't match the carefully-cultivated "caring" image.
Plus it would cost a lot of money that the state just doesn't have.
Chilean jails are a national scandal. Just today, the Corte Suprema criticised their inhumane conditions.

Three: Politicians routinely soft-pedal delinquency. Criminal families generally don't go in much for civic participation but all votes are equally valid, so por si acaso... Democracy in action.

Four: Judges, well aware of all the above, and subject to political pressures as well, routinely pass lenient sentences to prevent adding to the overcrowding. Also, although nominally independent, they are heavily influenced by the fiscalía's findings.

Five: Fiscales are paid a performance bonus, calculated annualy and linked to successful prosecutions. So they tend to pick easy, high-profile cases that favour this outcome. Harder, or low-value cases are often dropped. As mentioned, a huge workload doesn't help.

As for Carabineros: shorn of authority, scandal-ridden and corrupt, converted in bureaucrats typing up pointless denuncias. I blame this directly on Bachelet, who, with her ex-terrorist background, does not sympathize with law and order other than as an enforcer and protector for her government.

Hate to sound like a facho pobre (yet again!) but this country is not going in the right direction.
Après moi, le déluge