Rule of law in Chile ranked 3rd in Lat.Am. / 27th in World

General topics related to Living in Chile
AnciaVagar

Rule of law in Chile ranked 3rd in Lat.Am. / 27th in World

Post by AnciaVagar » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:18 pm

For your enjoyment:

https://worldjusticeproject.org/sites/d ... dition.pdf

Chile ranks third in Latin America and 27th in the world for rule of law. (Be careful to filter out subjectiveness and re-sort.)

fraggle092

Re: Rule of law in Chile ranked 3rd in Lat.Am. / 27th in World

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:50 am

I dont think it can keep that position for much longer, given the latest scandals:
High-level and widespread police corruption to the tune of at least USD $40.000.000, with the police doing their own investigations. Wonder how that will turn out......

Dirty tricks galore in the current war between Fiscalía and Carabineros, with the institutions charged with maintaining law and order at each others throats.

Excessive governmental interference in the justice system (the handling of the Luchsinger case for example has been an absolute scandal)

Another Bachelet legacy. The only doubt is whether its incompetence or subversion.
Après moi, le déluge

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:15 pm

I'd much prefer Fiscalía, Carabineros, and PDI being at "each other throats" than seeing a single blob of LE institutions protecting each other from citizens – like it happens in any country at the bottom of this rating and also in the United States.

Power corrupts anyway, so we are lucky that Chile has enough checks and balances to resist the absolute corruption.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:15 pm
I'd much prefer Fiscalía, Carabineros, and PDI being at "each other throats" than seeing a single blob of LE institutions protecting each other from citizens – like it happens in any country at the bottom of this rating and also in the United States.
Since the topic in question relates to the rule of law, can I take it then that you prefer that the Chilean forces of law and order spend their time feuding with each other instead of doing their jobs?
That would imply that you think that they are not needed at all.....

And high level corruption in the police affects the lower ranks attitude, right down to the traffic cop using it to "justify" a bribe. Is that what you want?
Après moi, le déluge

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:37 am

I prefer getting the best outcome from the available conditions.
Ideally, it would be nice to have just "doing their jobs" LEs.
But considering the actual problem, I'm glad it's not getting swiped under the carpet.

Maker42

Post by Maker42 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:54 am

This publication is pretty crooked. South Africa has government backed racial genocide proceeding, and it's ranked about the same as Botswana. Yeah. No. And it ranks USA as very high in rule of law. Riiiiight.
https://www.blogarama.com/politics-blog ... iture-2015

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:22 am

Since nations, including Chile, often employ international promotional agencies, how many of these rankings are unbiased is open to question. It wouldn't take more than a few fudged statistics here and there to move a country up or down the rankings tables.

They can come in handy for forum discussions though. :)
But I'm coming to think that's about all most of them are worth nowt.
Après moi, le déluge

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:43 am

The 'World Justice Project' (WJP) seems to have some connection to 'Transparency International' (TI), another strange group, and it seems to be doing the same self-promotion that TI did. Looking in a few online newspapers one can find articles that are clearly press releases prepared by this group (WJP), with just some changes specific to the country where it will be printed. When all the articles end by saying "the world's leading source for original, independent data on the rule of law", it does not sound credible.

When I first read a TI release in the mid to late 90' I looked it up in the internet -something new for me at the time. I don't know if they changed it later, but at that time the only thing they measured was if a lower level clerk would ask for a bribe when doing some paper work in some small local office. In those days bribes to high level politicians were considered just a normal business practice and would not bring down a country rating, as they weren't even considered.
Maker42 wrote:
This publication is pretty crooked. ..... And it ranks USA as very high in rule of law. Riiiiight.

"an independent advocacy group based in the United States"

"the world's leading source for original, independent data on the rule of law"

AnciaVagar

Post by AnciaVagar » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:59 pm

Maker42 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:54 am
This publication is pretty crooked. South Africa has government backed racial genocide proceeding, and it's ranked about the same as Botswana. Yeah. No. And it ranks USA as very high in rule of law. Riiiiight.
https://www.blogarama.com/politics-blog ... iture-2015
Drilling down a little, it seems more an opinion poll among some [supposedly] qualified respondents [lawyers] as well as some "anonymous" respondents. So, maybe worth less than what you paid for it after all.

Maybe some here with actual experiences will weigh in.

I'd love to see a comparative analysis with hard metrics -- not holding my breath.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:31 am

That is easy. Countries that pay them the biggest "consulting fee", rank higher.

:lol:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.