Where can I find all year Sunniest and Warmest area in Chile.

General topics related to Living in Chile
Donnybrook

Re: Where can I find all year Sunniest and Warmest area in Chile.

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:59 am

If you look at a map of Chile you might think that it is prime beach country but it is not. The sea off Chile is very cold and this causes coastal mists in the morning even in summer. Inland you can avoid the damp and enjoy constant daytime sunshine - the Elqui valley, for instance - but night temperatures can drop considerably. Then you have to check how liveable the place is. Copiapo gets a lot of nice warm weather but no one wants to live there. There isn't anywhere with the exact description of what you want that I can think of. If trade-offs aren't an option, northern Peru on up would be a better place to look.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:58 am

Then there is long term climate change so be ready to move again in a decade or less. :alien:
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:31 pm

Sunsea wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:06 am
Thanks very much to those who provided interesting important info I just noticed it.
For those others Too much needless sarcasm for a new person to bear just saying. Who said the op didn't Google for climate info? Could it also be that the poster searched but couldn't find detailed info and maybe wants to hear it from people living there? I'm assuming most of you are living Chile?
Besides iqique antofagasta and arica what other habitable cities are up there? Antofagasta is known for deadly floods but yearly sunshine is high. Where are the stats for other locations up north? Arica isn't as sunny as people think according to the stats, even though it gets a few mms of rain that's because of the fog and Pacific mist.
If any of you know an good accurate source for northern Chilean climate and weather please provide the link and if you have personal experience living in the north please feel free to share.

Well I apologize for any excessive sarcasm, but this topic has also been covered multiple times right here on the forum. I'm not sure if the exact climate you're looking for exists in Chile or not, but if it does, I'm confident it would be in the north.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Sunsea wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:23 am
nwdiver wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:24 pm
Tongoy.......warm year round, foggy some mornings, not too cold ever.......great scallops
Thanks does it go below 50f or 10c on coldest nights.
And you are out all night in the winter? I don't think you will find a place in Chile that meets your needs, I'm outta here........
It's all about the wine.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:29 pm

Sunsea wrote:
Besides iqique antofagasta and arica what other habitable cities are up there? Antofagasta is known for deadly floods but yearly sunshine is high. Where are the stats for other locations up north? Arica isn't as sunny as people think according to the stats, even though it gets a few mms of rain that's because of the fog and Pacific mist.
La Serena and the places around but you'll need to endure not-so-deadly floods of summer tourists.

I also suggest to consider this rating of the best communes to live:

communes.png

Sunsea

Post by Sunsea » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:30 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:59 am
If you look at a map of Chile you might think that it is prime beach country but it is not. The sea off Chile is very cold and this causes coastal mists in the morning even in summer. Inland you can avoid the damp and enjoy constant daytime sunshine - the Elqui valley, for instance - but night temperatures can drop considerably. Then you have to check how liveable the place is. Copiapo gets a lot of nice warm weather but no one wants to live there. There isn't anywhere with the exact description of what you want that I can think of. If trade-offs aren't an option, northern Peru on up would be a better place to look.
Thank you I was thinking about southern Peru also..are there any valleys up around Arica and inland that would be warmer as well as dry?

Sunsea

Post by Sunsea » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:36 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:31 pm
Sunsea wrote:
Thanks very much to those who provided interesting important info I just noticed it.
For those others Too much needless sarcasm for a new person to bear just saying. Who said the op didn't Google for climate info? Could it also be that the poster searched but couldn't find detailed info and maybe wants to hear it from people living there? I'm assuming most of you are living Chile?
If any of you know an good accurate source for northern Chilean climate and weather please provide the link and if you have personal experience living in the north please feel free to share.

Well I apologize for any excessive sarcasm, but this topic has also been covered multiple times right here on the forum. I'm not sure if the exact climate you're looking for exists in Chile or not, but if it does, I'm confident it would be in the north.
No worries. I just found out that they grow papayas in some areas of Chile. Papayas can't tolerate temps below 4 so maybe it's milder in that region. Do they grow coconuts up north?

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:21 pm

I'm not sure about that one, I have noticed in the past that coconuts I see here (in Santiago) for sale usually come from Peru or farther north.

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:19 pm

The Valle de Elqui has the greatest amount of non-cloudy days of anyplace on earth-------its why the observatories are there-----in regard to cold at night, it gets cold there at night in the winter----during summer its so bright you get sunburned under your neck, bottom of nose and even your armpits with a shirt on-----

###

Sunsea

Post by Sunsea » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:54 pm

David_Bro wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:19 pm
The Valle de Elqui has the greatest amount of non-cloudy days of anyplace on earth-------its why the observatories are there-----in regard to cold at night, it gets cold there at night in the winter----during summer its so bright you get sunburned under your neck, bottom of nose and even your armpits with a shirt on-----

###
Sounds like a place I'd like

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:08 pm

Sunsea wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:36 pm
No worries. I just found out that they grow papayas in some areas of Chile. Papayas can't tolerate temps below 4 so maybe it's milder in that region. Do they grow coconuts up north?
They are not tropical papayas and cannot be eaten raw. They also have them, strangely, in Arequipa. Google papaya chilena or papaya arequipeña.

No large coconuts are grown in Chile. The climate is mediterranean not tropical. The native Chilean palm provides a "honey" and coquitos, tiny little "coconuts".

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:27 am

The papaya species in Chile grows from the iv Region north to copiapo and cannot be eaten raw------they must be boiled----the fruit is is very good, while sweet and a juice can be made out of what is left from the boiling----best eaten with a non-sweetens cream in my opionen as its so sickening sweet the fruit itself is hard to bear . I have heard of edible coconuts from Iquigue north but have never had one that I can recall.