Haircut

General topics related to Living in Chile
KDnR

Haircut

Post by KDnR » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:05 pm

Can anyone recommend a good hair salon somewhere in Santiago?
I tried getting a haircut twice at Glam at the mall by Kennedy Street in Las Condes and once in Santa Cruz. All 3 hair stylists did a horrible job. Had to go home and my wife tried to fix it afterward.
Does someone know a hair salon with English speaking stylists?
Where do you usually get your haircut?
Thank you!

jamie_m

Re: Haircut

Post by jamie_m » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:40 pm

Try Discover Chile facebook group. They know all the best salons, cafes and meat pie joints etc :)

dimino3307

Post by dimino3307 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:33 pm

Hi there, I have a recommendation a good hair salon you can also connect to your own with the help of site but its not in Santiago its situated in San Francisco, where you can get your hair cut and usually services with additional services. They also offer women's long hair cut services.

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:40 pm

There is a barber in lastarría that does a good job. Receptionist speaks english

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:50 pm

There's a good one at Bellavista 185. The guys there are all Puerto Rican if I recall correctly, and all of them speak English. There's no parking space in front of it, but you can park at Loreto, right around the corner. It also happens to be close to the kimchi place. Wink wink.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:44 pm

Thanks! I actually have that taking care of now. Btw, had my haircut today. The guy that work for me now is a pro in that and have done a great job.

MikieO

Post by MikieO » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:49 am

I can't believe you all kept a straight face through this one! :alien:
I've had some very good haircuts (usually from a Chilena who was age appropriate and wanted to impress).
:alien: On several occasions I left with their card and cell number on the back, nice tip, hug a little
longer than necessary and chao.
More common is the maestro who asks how I want it cut, then gives the usual, snorts when being told
that his #4 clipper attachment is #2 and rolls his eyes when asked to trim the eyebrows. The locals
will pay $3500, me, $5000. No hesitation, he looks at my shoes and repeats it for the audience.
I get home to find that my request to go easy with the thinning scissors was misunderstood. Now I have
to wear a hat due to a sunburn risk.
Most recently I walked into a barbers shop in San Antonio containing 3 unoccupied "stylists" read: "artists".
Only after my guy had started with the "#4 that cuts like a #2" did I notice that all of the photos of finished
haircuts on the wall were of children (16 to 25) and all had whitewall shaved above the ears.
I made it plain that a 60 yr old gringo is not a candidate for the wall of shame. He actually stepped out to
take a few hits on a joint his buddy was enjoying and came back, relaxed and creative. No whitewalls, taper
to skin and charge 8 lukas.
Bottom line? Bring a sense of humor, it'll grow out! :mrgreen:
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:01 pm

MikieO wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:49 am
I've had some very good haircuts (usually from a Chilena who was age appropriate and wanted to impress).
:alien: On several occasions I left with their card and cell number on the back, nice tip, hug a little
More common is the maestro who asks how I want it cut, then gives the usual, snorts when being told
that his #4 clipper attachment is #2 and rolls his eyes when asked to trim the eyebrows. The locals
will pay $3500, me, $5000. No hesitation, he looks at my shoes and repeats it for the audience.
I get home to find that my request to go easy with the thinning scissors was misunderstood. Now I have
Most recently I walked into a barbers shop in San Antonio containing 3 unoccupied "stylists" read: "artists".
Only after my guy had started with the "#4 that cuts like a #2" did I notice that all of the photos of finished
haircuts on the wall were of children (16 to 25) and all had whitewall shaved above the ears.
I made it plain that a 60 yr old gringo is not a candidate for the wall of shame. He actually stepped out to
take a few hits on a joint his buddy was enjoying and came back, relaxed and creative. No whitewalls, taper
Dude, you don't go to the old guy at the plaza anymore? His wife cuts my hair and the price is indeed 5 lukas as I have heard him charge Chilean males the same price. 3.5 lukas is the going rate for niños and/or new shops trying to compete. Yes, lots of flaite-style cutters out there, glad your visit to one worked out.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:35 pm

The difference between a good haircut and a bad one?

Three Weeks.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

MikieO

Post by MikieO » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:51 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:01 pm
MikieO wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:49 am
Dude, you don't go to the old guy at the plaza anymore? His wife cuts my hair and the price is indeed 5 lukas as I have heard him charge Chilean males the same price. 3.5 lukas is the going rate for niños and/or new shops trying to compete. Yes, lots of flaite-style cutters out there, glad your visit to one worked out.
I do, its just sometimes I find myself in front of a new place, a spare few lukas in my pocket and a
thirst for adventure.
I think I screwed it up for the locals in the plaza. His first cut for me was good and I waved off the 1.5
change. Good to see chilenos paying gringo tax too.
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes