Selling Second Hand in Barrio Alto

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Selling Second Hand in Barrio Alto

Post by Britkid » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:15 pm

I would like to sell some of my books, CDs and DVDs, and other assorted items second hand. I think it needs to be barrio alto because most of them are in English. Even some of the DVDs do not have Spanish option. Is there somewhere you can go and setup a table. Preferably an organized feria or a location in central Providencia with a lot of foot traffic. Another option might be to find some event specific to ex-pats.

I had a look on facebook for half an hour yesterday but didn't find anything that seemed right. But I'm not very good at facebook.

Is it legal to just set up a table anywhere and start selling? If no, how long do you think I could get away with it before I get shut down. :) Maybe that would make an interesting experiment. Presumably if you were caught you would just be told to stop rather than actually charged with an offence? My guess is that you would probably get away with it forever in some places but not in barrio alto? OK, I probably shouldn't do that.

Do you think used CDs and DVDs have any value still? Maybe 1000 pesos each or less? Or have we reached the point where they've become worthless like VHS before them as people prefer to download online?

I'm not really trying to make money here though so much as I'd rather see things get used than tossed in the trash. If anyone sells English language books/CDs/DVD or wants to try it and has a location to do it I could give away some things for free.

Also if you have any reccomendations for good shops and areas of Santiago for buying second hand as well let me know. However, I'm more interesting in selling.

I have got some hard back books on football (soccer) if anyone is interested. Like the history of football in pictures and things like that. I think some of these are probably going to end up getting recycled which is a bit sad, there are some beautiful books, I'm just not so interested in football anymore and trying to pare down my possessions.

Looking to do this over the coming months, so no hurry.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Maker42

Re: Selling Second Hand in Barrio Alto

Post by Maker42 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:31 pm

In the ferias I've seen, there are always places for irregular sellers to set up a spread. There's also a classified section here in the forum. Lastly, have you heard of Lila's list?

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:20 pm

Providencia has Feria de Pulgas - flea markets - don't know how often. You just register and I guess pay something. Not sure if you have to be resident of Providencia. CDs and DVDs may not sell there, or anywhere for that matter. If you sell on the street without a municipal permission they confiscate your stuff and you pay a fine to get it back. So, not legal and surprised you considered it.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:27 pm

You'll making such a little money, don't know if it would be worth it, so what about making a donation to your town's biblioteca?
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:37 pm

Thanks for your comment about being a resident, I might have not thought to check that, but since you mentioned it that was the first thing I asked when I called the Providencia municipality just now and they told me you have to be registered as a resident, student or worker in the area in order to sell. She also said you have to "postular"; now I think about it, does that word specifically mean apply in advance rather than just turn up on the day, it sounded like you need to sort out your permission in advance rather than turn up on the day. Sounds like a lot of hassle to me anyway.

She also said the next feria in Plaza Ines is at the 13th January (10am-2pm) whereas online it says 21st January 9am-1pm http://www.providencia.cl/agenda/filtro ... las-pulgas. Some confusion there.

I could turn up to the feria (assuming I don't just turn up on the wrong day) and try and give the stuff away to one of the sellers, but maybe no-one would accept them, or much of it might just end up in the trash at the end of the day anyway which would defeat the point.

I had not heard of Lila's list, but again it sounds like too much hassle for this sort of thing, you know when you factor in listing items, maybe descriptions, photos, and then arrange to meet a seller, and that's just for one item and you've got another load to sell.

I just want the stuff to get reused and not go into the trash, without taking up too much of my time.

Library is a good idea, although I just called my local library and I get the feeling from the call that they are just going to pick off a few of my better books and refuse the rest which won't really help at all. They also tell me you have to go through a registration process for the local ferias which again sounds like too much hassle to be worth it.

I called a couple of libraries in Santiago and one said that they needed the books to be in near perfect condition (which again means they would just pick off 1 or 2 and leave me unhelpfully with the rest) and the other said that they wouldn't accept books in English.

This is already starting to feel time consuming. Its no wonder we live in such a throwaway society.

If it were just books it would be easier though, last year I went to Santiago with 10 English books and walked around hostels until I found one with a book exchange in English and left 10 books and took 3. Still, that doesn't work for shifting other items such as CDs and DVDs otherwise I would just stick to that (or giving away to a second hand book store). Are there second hand DVD and CDs stores? Would such a thing even exist? It might not even make economic sense for such a thing to exist anymore? Maybe a charity shop?

In the UK (or the US) this kind of thing is easier, because you have the freecycle website and then there is Decluttr which pays your postage to send CDs and other things and gives you a guaranteed $0.50 minimum per item. Chile is a bit more difficult because of the less reliable postal service and less developed internet culture.

I called my kids school ;it is a bilingual school and they have a library to see if they can make use of the stuff. Not sure if that will pan out yet.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

picalena

Post by picalena » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:50 pm

For donations, consider a local school that claims to teach English to their students. They might want them for their library.

Also, for donations, local hogares often take donated items to then sell over time to generate money for the hogar. You can stop by or call one of your nearby hogares to see. They are often extremely grateful for whatever they get.

cheers,
pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

picalena

Post by picalena » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:56 pm

On that note, hogares are also great places to donate TIME and also learn the language while helping people. I have found volunteering at hogares to be incredibly rewarding, and a wonderful way to learn more about local and Chilean culture.

pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:46 pm

Good idea. I am not sure exactly how you define Hogares but I went to Aldea Mis Amigos once in Padre Hurtado a year or two ago. It was some event that had food to sell and we took a number of things to donate and the kids put on a show. It is almost an orphanage but not quite. They are kids that do actually have at least one parent but their parents are in jail or have gone away or otherwise unable or unwilling to look aft the kids. I played football with the kids for a while. Once or two of them asked me to take them back to my house and be their Dad.

I planned to volunteer to work there however it just sat on my to-do list for a year or two until I realized I was never going to do it. I don't really feel comfortable offering to volunteer to work there one day every two or three months or something and with my work and my kids I am never going to offer anything more. I tend to give money to charities instead. I could see myself working more directly with charities and good causes in the future.

proger

Post by proger » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:01 pm

your products have no value, spare your energy

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:49 pm

There is a Facebook page called bookswapchile. You don't need to swap. They take donations.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:18 am

One of the English schools would take them, but for free.......
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:35 am

yea, CD, DVD, and English books?

The books might still have some value. I have not owned a CD/DVD player in a decade, unless it was installed in a computer server for a very special and rare use (operating system install).

Donate them, and save the time.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.