Zero Waste in Chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Re: Zero Waste in Chile

Post by Britkid » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:05 pm

The soda bottles thing is an example of where Chile is more environmentally friendly than a country such as say the UK, which is only considering a similar scheme but hasn't done so yet. The cartoneros mentioned by Donnybrook is another one. Another one is that I know someone who can sew up my trousers for only a fraction of the cost of a new one. If I lived in a developed country, I might have just thrown it away and bought a new one. Another one is me leaving a used mattress in a known place on a street corner with permission, and I checked back a day or two later to make sure it was taken as expected.

However, all these things are largely driven by economic factors and happen to be good for the environment. If/when Chile gets wealthier, such good green things will end unless either people become more ecologically minded, or the government helps out with schemes/taxes/subsidies.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:10 pm

I got these "biobolsas" in Jumbo, near the regular black ones.

2017-12-27-13.08.14.jpg

Julito

Post by Julito » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:19 pm

If you're ever in Villarrica tell me you're coming and I'll give you a roll of them. I brought a heap of them back from Australia last year. The hometown municipalty delivers them for free several times year. They're made of corn, break down to nothing and a great way to green waste compost the vege garden.
The hometown recycling is compulsory, 4 seperate bins and if you don't co-operate they don't collect your rubbish.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:36 pm

Jumbo, I might have guessed. The last time I walked in to Jumbo to buy one thing I walked out with about three (plastic) bags full! Thanks a lot.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:39 pm

Julito wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:19 pm
If you're ever in Villarrica tell me you're coming and I'll give you a roll of them. I brought a heap of them back from Australia last year. The hometown municipalty delivers them for free several times year. They're made of corn, break down to nothing and a great way to green waste compost the vege garden.
The hometown recycling is compulsory, 4 seperate bins and if you don't co-operate they don't collect your rubbish.
I would like to go to Villarica (with family) but I'd rather wait for the total solar eclipse. December 14th, 2020. Not sure if we'll remember this conversation then?!

4 separate bins! Sounds pretty impressive compared to Santiago.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:56 pm

JUlito, if you live in Villarica, what are your thoughts on the probability of cloudy vs sunny skies at that time of year. It's at 4pm UT. I suppose that would be about midday in Chile. I think I looked it up and the odds were about 50/50 of seeing the sun during the eclipse, does that ring true? Also, if you were climbing the volcano during the eclipse would you be more likely to see it (by getting above low lying cloud) or less likely (since mountains sometimes attract wisps of cloud even when everywhere else is clear)?

Julito

Post by Julito » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:16 pm

It's a bit of a punt mid December, but I imagine that'd be solar eclipses just about everywhere weather wise. If I was a gambler I'd give it a go. Up the volcano? Again, depends on the weather.. At a tad under 3000 metres high it can be overcast down here with the top half of the volcano sitting up in the sunshine. Aviation forecasts are the best way to go for cloud levels but in another couple of years the general forecasts, which aren't too bad now, will have improved further.

And come 2020 there'll still be composting bags here, We've got more than we'll ever use 'twixt now and then!

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:47 am

Here's what we have on many store windows and doors in the downtown:

2017-12-27 19.17.00.jpg

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:14 am

There was a law passed, think it was about 5-6 years ago, that all plastic garbage bags sold or produced in Chile had to be biodegradable / breakdown in a certain number of years. I recall talking to a couple guys that were opening a factory for plastic garbage bags, that were biodegradable, due to the change in law. That was about where I lost interest in the topic.

Which really means little, if the contents of the bio bag are still around in 1000 years.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:04 pm

All those poor whales beached dead in coastal sands, when their stomach opened up to study their cause, they found stomach full of plastic bags imprinted with Chinese characters. So the beached whales are swallowing all those plastics bags floating in the middle of oceans. 1.4 billion people using vast amounts of plastic bags in their daily shopping can do a lot of damage to marine life across many seas of the world.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:05 pm

Julito wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:16 pm
It's a bit of a punt mid December, but I imagine that'd be solar eclipses just about everywhere weather wise. If I was a gambler I'd give it a go. Up the volcano? Again, depends on the weather. At a tad under 3000 metres high it can be overcast down here with the top half of the volcano sitting up in the sunshine. Aviation forecasts are the best way to go for cloud levels but in another couple of years the general forecasts, which aren't too bad now, will have improved further.

And come 2020 there'll still be composting bags here, We've got more than we'll ever use 'twixt now and then!
Looks like the volcano trek can start at quite a high point after taking a ski lift, so even at nearly 3,000m it's doable as a long day hike if you are fit. Also, that altitude is just about low enough to avoid altitude sickness for most people. Also, time the natural time of day to reach the summit would be just about near the totality phase of the eclipse. I doubt I will do this when it really comes down to it though because I probably want to go with my wife and kids. However, I will keep it in mind.

One other doubt is the cost. I just read a trip report from someone that went up for 80k. I wonder if the trekking companies will charge a different price for the eclipse day, however. It might not be possible to do it without a trekking company unless you have gear like crampons.

And thanks for the other posts about the rubbish. Chile may contribute more on a per person basis to plastic being eaten by fish for the simple reason that more people live within a distance of the coast where it's reasonable a stray plastic bag might be blown into the sea. However in total volume it's thought that some countries where there is a high concentration of people near to a coastline combined with a poor recycling system etc are the biggest contributers. China, Indonesia, Philipines, Vietnam and Sri Lanka were estimated to be the five worst in a study I saw.

Julito

Post by Julito » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:57 pm

Yes I dare say there'll be "eclipse treks" come the day, for a fee of course and crampons provided.

I met a bloke a couple weeks ago, Chilean ex military who's trained US military in Alaska which surprised me but he's got the photos to prove it.

He's now employed in Pucon trying to re-educate the volcano trek guides and others on the expectations of their clients, ie. summit to the rim, no over promising and under delivering because it damages the brand. He was telling me of local guides partying till 4am then either not fronting at all, or part way up the slope coming up with some bullshit excuse as to why they can't continue, like "It's too dangerous to continue, the glacier/slope/snow or some other crap is unstable".

So the clients get a spectacular view of the lake and surrounds from altitude but are short changed on what they actually paid for, a volcano rim summit.