International shipping unreliable

General topics related to Living in Chile
Maker42

Re: International shipping unreliable

Post by Maker42 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:29 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:35 pm
They went bad in the last 6–8 months. Before it was slow but reliable (6-10 weeks), now we're getting packages lost (not delivered over 4-5 months).
That's been my experience too.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:04 pm

The post used not to be quite as bad, but got worse after the 2010 earthquake or thereabouts; I'm not sure whether there's a connection. It used to be that letters to/from Europe would take something like 2-4 weeks (which already seems like rather a long time), but around 2010 that suddenly turned into something like a couple of months. In the past year or so, it does seem to have got considerably worse again, with post to/from the UK taking about 2-4 months and sometimes longer. We received one Christmas card in June this year, after 7 months... It's actually quite rare, however, for post to get lost completely (assuming you live long enough to receive it). Circumstantial evidence now and then does indeed point to stuff sitting around in Santiago somewhere (though I can't remember all the details of how we formed that impression).

I'm going to let you into a little secret that I've discovered recently, hoping not to ruin it in the process. The official delivery time to Europe is supposed to be something like 3 weeks. If you send documents there "certificado" (for about 2 mil rather than 700 pesos or whatever), it is semi-tracked and actually does take roughly that long, even though the official delivery time is the same as for the normal service (so there's no way to find out from the correos that this option exists). At least that's my experience over the past year, after being surprised by the arrival time of something I wanted to send certified for other reasons.

at46

Post by at46 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:44 pm

Conspiracy theory: Amazon throttling regular post shipments out of China. For the first time in a few years here my latest Aliexpress purchases sent Chinapost / Hong Kong post were lost. The ones purchased on Ali but coming out of their European warehouses via European postal services get through within a couple of weeks.

Edit: could be Falabella, too.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:30 pm

Just like you, we shop a lot in Ebay and we had to wait more than 8 weeks for our things to arrive and some never made it. I went to the PO and made a complain that got in deaf ears. I can assure you that items don't disappear in thin air and more than one with sticky fingers is doing his/her shopping with our money. There are so many of us with the same issue that a group was formed. https://www.facebook.com/groups/AduanasCorreos.Basta/
Now many vendors don't want to sell to Chile due to the thievery. We stopped ordering big items.
[/quote]

Gloria-san, I used to shop in Ebays, but lots of hustle in case of return-replace, but in case of Amazon, every rep I talk to very responsive
and they promptly gives me credit for any returned items. So nowadays, only shopping in Amazon. Returned a bluetooth headphone
after using it almost a year and noticed earpiece section breaking apart- returned it and they sent me a brand new replacement!
Also they sent me a no charge return label to boot. Very happy with Amazon. No wonder they becoming a Trillion dollar big company pretty soon
Wished had purchased more stocks of this marvelous company !
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:55 pm

I don't use ebay.

Post from the UK/US to Chile, usually using the regular service, has nearly always arrived for me (delivery time randomly varies between a week and 4 months), there were 1 or 2 occassions when it was returned to sender after about 4-6 months. I can't recall any parcels that vanished completely forever.

The problems seem to be on the Chile end. I had a letter this year that took >2 months to arrive from Santiago.

Some of you may have seen this article before:
http://bearshapedsphere.com/2008/06/26/ ... r-postman/
It's nearly 10 years old now.

I used to tip a couple of years ago but we don't get door to door mail here and I forgot about it.

Once I had a letter thrown over our gate a couple of years ago and found the dog eating it.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:10 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:30 pm
Just like you, we shop a lot in Ebay and we had to wait more than 8 weeks for our things to arrive and some never made it. I went to the PO and made a complain that got in deaf ears. I can assure you that items don't disappear in thin air and more than one with sticky fingers is doing his/her shopping with our money. There are so many of us with the same issue that a group was formed. https://www.facebook.com/groups/AduanasCorreos.Basta/
Now many vendors don't want to sell to Chile due to the thievery. We stopped ordering big items.
Gloria-san, I used to shop in Ebays, but lots of hustle in case of return-replace, but in case of Amazon, every rep I talk to very responsive
and they promptly gives me credit for any returned items. So nowadays, only shopping in Amazon. Returned a bluetooth headphone
after using it almost a year and noticed earpiece section breaking apart- returned it and they sent me a brand new replacement!
Also they sent me a no charge return label to boot. Very happy with Amazon. No wonder they becoming a Trillion dollar big company pretty soon
Wished had purchased more stocks of this marvelous company !
[/quote]

Rickey-san, we never had any problems with Ebay and as Britkid said, the mess is in this end....Santiago. Customs needs to be revamped from the top to the bottom. Is a matter of fact if I were in charge I would fire each and everyone of those lazy asses and put instead legalize, certified, bona fide and qualified immigrants eager to work.
Now with reference to your shopping with Amazon, kudos to you but you seem to forget that Trumpland is totally different than Piñeraland and things don´t run as they are suppose to.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

paladin

Post by paladin » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:50 pm

I wouldnt dream of having anything sent to Chile after having seen how the sorting office works in Colina. A couple of years ago, I bought something cheap from Aliexpress and received a card from Correos advising me that I needed to go to the sorting office to collect it. I dont know why they didnt deliver it to me with normal mail though. When I found the sorting office, which was an old warehouse badly in need of repair , I wandered inside through an open door at the side and found myself in the area where the sorting is done. Nobody on the door, nobody really interested in asking if they could help me, then after I managed to catch the eye of one of the sorters, he explained that I needed to go out again, and go around the corner to tne real entrance. The sorting office was a huge mess. There were enormous sacks from China Post, about 1.5mt x 1.5mt x1.5mt , waiting to be emptied and sorted, alongside loads of packages on the floor. So bearing that in mind, you can see why stuff takes some time to be delivered, and also see why they keep the side door open, to facilitate the easy removable of anything, they may find worth stealing.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:19 pm

There may be some light on the horizon. In todays Mercurio there is talk of Amazon coming to Chile.
Hopefully they won't do a JC Penney:

Arribo de Amazon a Chile generaría cambios clave en la fuerza laboral de los retailers
Après moi, le déluge

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:13 pm

Britkid wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:55 pm
I don't use ebay.

Post from the UK/US to Chile, usually using the regular service, has nearly always arrived for me (delivery time randomly varies between a week and 4 months), there were 1 or 2 occassions when it was returned to sender after about 4-6 months. I can't recall any parcels that vanished completely forever.

The problems seem to be on the Chile end. I had a letter this year that took >2 months to arrive from Santiago.

Some of you may have seen this article before:
http://bearshapedsphere.com/2008/06/26/ ... r-postman/
It's nearly 10 years old now.

I used to tip a couple of years ago but we don't get door to door mail here and I forgot about it.

Once I had a letter thrown over our gate a couple of years ago and found the dog eating it.
I found this whole "you must tip the mailman" thing really weird, but then I checked the costs breakdown for my place's gastos and found that the building indeed pays the mailman per item. He gets $25000 every month, and I assume he gets the same from the other 3 condo buildings in our street simply for doing his job.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:12 pm

I ordered some books from Amazon on Dec 15. They sent a note saying they would arrive before Christmas. I doubted it, being in Chile. The books arrived 6 days later. 6 days later. I repeated because it sounded incredulous.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:18 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:19 pm
There may be some light on the horizon. In todays Mercurio there is talk of Amazon coming to Chile.
Hopefully they won't do a JC Penney:

Arribo de Amazon a Chile generaría cambios clave en la fuerza laboral de los retailers
Same thing happened with HOME DEPOT for what I understand.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:25 pm

hlf2888 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:12 pm
I ordered some books from Amazon on Dec 15. They sent a note saying they would arrive before Christmas. I doubted it, being in Chile. The books arrived 6 days later. 6 days later. I repeated because it sounded incredulous.
wow.jpg