International shipping unreliable

General topics related to Living in Chile
Maker42

International shipping unreliable

Post by Maker42 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:03 am

This year I ordered 14 items from eBay from outside Chile (UK, Hong Kong, China), all more than 2 months ago, many of them 5+ months ago. Only 7 of them have made it through. They are all relatively low value items, like < CLP 30.000. But I want to be able to order high value items in the future, and I can't take a 50% chance of never making it.

Do you think this is Chile customs or the postal service "losing" things?

I think it might be both. When we had our household goods shipped to us, most of the items made it, but there were things mysteriously (and unaccountably) missing like our sewing machine.

Does anybody know any tricks to make receiving orders more reliable?

bobserb

Re: International shipping unreliable

Post by bobserb » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:11 am

I had waited about two months for simple letters from US.That happened few times.Correos Chile is 100% unreliable.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:21 am

Maker42 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:03 am
This year I ordered 14 items from eBay from outside Chile (UK, Hong Kong, China), all more than 2 months ago, many of them 5+ months ago. Only 7 of them have made it through. They are all relatively low value items, like < CLP 30.000. But I want to be able to order high value items in the future, and I can't take a 50% chance of never making it.

Do you think this is Chile customs or the postal service "losing" things?

I think it might be both. When we had our household goods shipped to us, most of the items made it, but there were things mysteriously (and unaccountably) missing like our sewing machine.

Does anybody know any tricks to make receiving orders more reliable?
Just like you, we shop a lot in Ebay and we had to wait more than 8 weeks for our things to arrive and some never made it. I went to the PO and made a complain that got in deaf ears. I can assure you that items don't disappear in thin air and more than one with sticky fingers is doing his/her shopping with our money. There are so many of us with the same issue that a group was formed. https://www.facebook.com/groups/AduanasCorreos.Basta/
Now many vendors don't want to sell to Chile due to the thievery. We stopped ordering big items.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:47 am

People, Correos Chile has a reputation going back decades for not being able to deliver junk mail correctly, let alone anything of value.

Why would you risk using it for an international shipment?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Maker42

Post by Maker42 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:57 am

Do you think using a PO Box would help at all?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:02 pm

Maker42 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:57 am
Do you think using a PO Box would help at all?
IME, yes and it should be at the main office for your area.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:25 pm

This year Correos has been exceptionally bad, just a look at reclamos.cl shows the extent of the problem, which seems to be mainly affecting USPS economy shipments. A theory from this report (from 2015) is that they are unable to cope with a huge increase in internet purchases. So far I have never lost an item, but with 3 months delay becoming common, sometimes I forget I even ordered it in the first place.

I have a PO box, its useless. The delay is on arrival in Santiago. In fact my PO Box (which costs around $80.000 a year) is pretty useless generally. Many retailers will not ship to PO boxes, but you may get away with that if they think that "Casilla" is a street name.

As for why people use Correos, its because the overall cost using a private carrier is prohibitive, and often greatly exceeds the purchase price of the item. Still, they tell me its worse in Argentina, where individuals cannot import directly at all, they have to go through an agency.....
Après moi, le déluge

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:48 pm

That's pretty much it: ship through Correos only things that you don't mind losing (think "up to $10 stuff coming from China") or that you have some sort of insurance (ideally from a reliable store, not from a carrier) to cover the product's costs in case it's lost. If you do need to get something fast and reliably, you will need to use a private carrier.

FedEx Economy will be the most cost effective option to ship from the USA to Chile and still get some kind of reliability in terms of actually getting your stuff. You will be charged customs taxes plus their clearance fees (up to the same amount of the customs taxes) and it will cost around $50 for a 1lb package.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:57 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:48 pm
FedEx Economy will be the most cost effective option to ship from the USA to Chile and still get some kind of reliability in terms of actually getting your stuff. You will be charged customs taxes plus their clearance fees (up to the same amount of the customs taxes) and it will cost around $50 for a 1lb package.
Plus in-country delivery charges if you live "remotely", by which they mean outside of Santiago!
Après moi, le déluge

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:59 pm

IME, there are multiple pain in the assees and places where they go missing and yes step one from origin to SCL is a pain.

But I have lost many packages back when the postal dude delivered to my apartment address vs. PO Box. Must have had 8-10 go missing when I used to rely on that drunk ass to deliver from the main office to the depto. Since having the PO Box at the main office, I have not lost one package. Time period is over the last seven to eight years with the last three with a PO Box.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:27 pm

Yeah, maybe my bad PO Box experiences are just part of the well-known quality and quantity of service issues where I live, to put it tactfully. From Santiago northwards, they both take a nosedive. And La Serena is the town where the Post Office closes when it rains.
Après moi, le déluge

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:35 pm

They went bad in the last 6–8 months. Before it was slow but reliable (6-10 weeks), now we're getting packages lost (not delivered over 4-5 months).