International shipping unreliable

General topics related to Living in Chile
at46

Re: International shipping unreliable

Post by at46 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:52 pm

A takeover with the ultimate goal of privatization (concession) along the lines of the Argie experience. Given Amazon's push to replace established courier companies, I wouldn't be surprised to see it's participation in the capital of the eventual concession-holder. After all, wouldn't it be only logical for Amazon to take over 'last mile' after taking over the international long-haul capacity?

"...after delayed and changing definitions regarding the form that privatization would take, by Executive Order No. 265/97 a public national and international bid was called for a 30-year period service concession of the official post office. In August that same year, the bid was awarded (by Executive Order No. 840/97) to a consortium (Correo Argentino S.A. - CASA) made up of Itron S.A. and Sideco Americana S.A. (both owned by the local group SOCMA - Sociedades Macri), with a 73.5% interest, and Banco de Galicia y Buenos Aires S.A. (with 12.5%), keeping the remaining 14.0% for the official post office employees, under the scheme imposed by the Employee Stock Ownership Plan—which was never actually imple-mented. The process was conducted with the technical assistance of the British Post Office.''
http://www.uniglobalunion.org/sites/def ... -%20EN.pdf

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:52 pm

frozen-north wrote:
Space Cat wrote: But since 2017 everything delivered through Correos takes from 8 weeks or even gets lost (which has never happened before).
And it seems that it is affecting not only parcels: the Christmas cards that I sent at the end of October still have not arrived.

Update:

One of the Christmas cards arrived to Chile. The Puerto Montt Postal Office stamp says '13-March'. Five months.

rocksana

Post by rocksana » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:09 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:47 am
People, Correos Chile has a reputation going back decades for not being able to deliver junk mail correctly, let alone anything of value.

Why would you risk using it for an international shipment?
So what alternatives do you suggest?

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:17 pm

rocksana wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:09 pm
admin wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:47 am
People, Correos Chile has a reputation going back decades for not being able to deliver junk mail correctly, let alone anything of value.

Why would you risk using it for an international shipment?
So what alternatives do you suggest?
Get a POBox.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

rocksana

Post by rocksana » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:20 pm

Gloria wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:17 pm

Get a POBox.
I have never used that service but by reading a bit, it seems like it is used mainly to get the stuff you bought abroad. But, when you need to send from Chile, is there any alternative? Or does this work both ways?

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:34 pm

rocksana wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:20 pm
Gloria wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:17 pm

Get a POBox.
I have never used that service but by reading a bit, it seems like it is used mainly to get the stuff you bought abroad. But, when you need to send from Chile, is there any alternative? Or does this work both ways?
It works to receive in and out of the country all types of mail and packages. You can rent the box only or with email service for parcels. Works just fine except when there are "hiccups" from Customs.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Harry2017

Post by Harry2017 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:08 pm

Is the pobox also rented from correos?
How does that work?

at46

Post by at46 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:31 pm

Update on Aliexpress:

The last couple of purchases shipped 'Aliexpress Standard Shipping' came through, taking about 5 weeks.

Several previous purchases shipped 'China Post' still missing after 6 months.

Maker42

Post by Maker42 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:06 pm

Harry2017 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:08 pm
How does that work?
You just go to an office with boxes and say you want to rent one. The process is very easy.

However, I've tried this. I had packages sent to both my box and my house. Both routes take a LOOOOONNNGGG time. I've concluded the delays are mostly in customs.

Customs: The nice name for the government racketeering scam where they intercept your shipment and demand a ransom to allow it through. Or just keep it for themselves anyway.

Harry2017

Post by Harry2017 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:42 pm

Maker42 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:06 pm
Harry2017 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:08 pm
How does that work?
You just go to an office with boxes and say you want to rent one. The process is very easy.

However, I've tried this. I had packages sent to both my box and my house. Both routes take a LOOOOONNNGGG time. I've concluded the delays are mostly in customs.

Customs: The nice name for the government racketeering scam where they intercept your shipment and demand a ransom to allow it through. Or just keep it for themselves anyway.
What about using one of those companies. Like cassilla Miami with correos Chile. Does that make ithe anymore. Reliable?

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:57 pm

Casilla Miami has a poor UI and they demand to store your credit card number. I'm totally not fine with Correos storing my card number but I can't delete it now haha. (I used it for one delivery.)

Chilebox by Chilexpress is good but all forwarders are expensive: I don't want to spend $20 for getting a $15 item.

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:51 pm

Update on my iherb purchase from early Dec 2017 that I wrote off as lost - I finally got it yesterday, after 4.5 months in the mail, woo-hoo!

It was delivered by DHL to Correos Chile in Santiago on Jan 17th, and then it took Correos 2.5 months to deliver from Santiago to Concón.

Oh, well, at least Correos didn´t make me run around filling out some stupid customs paperwork.