International shipping unreliable

General topics related to Living in Chile
at46

Re: International shipping unreliable

Post by at46 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:42 pm

Sounds exactly what happened with my iherb purchase - DHL delivered the item to Correos Chile and then it just disappeared like they transferred it straight to the dump.

As to shopping at Amazon from Canada when I used to live there, well, I didn't even bother to have stuff shipped to Canada after a while, due to taxes, items lost and delays. I would ship to a warehouse on the US side of the border and cross over to pick up my purchases in person. The two US warehouses I dealt with made millions of dollars on people like me in just a few short years.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:53 pm

at46 wrote:
As to shopping at Amazon from Canada when I used to live there, well, I didn't even bother to have stuff shipped to Canada after a while, due to taxes, items lost and delays. I would ship to a warehouse on the US side of the border and cross over to pick up my purchases in person. The two US warehouses I dealt with made millions of dollars on people like me in just a few short years.
Things seem to remain the same according to an experience from a couple of months ago. I was standing behind a younger woman picking up a parcel from the Canada Post office; when she was asked to pay around $50 in taxes, duties and handling fee, she said that her purchase -which I believe included the shipping - had been around the same amount.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:09 am

fraggle092 wrote:
There is a much simpler explanation than conspiracy theories: Chileans have discovered the internet and are buying stuff directly from China these days, from Alibaba and Bangood and Fasttech (like I do)
I don't think that it is a matter of "Chileans have discovered the internet", I believe it is rather that the sellers are now offering shipping to Chile in less complicated ways than they were in the days when zer0nz used to give information on how to get stuff shipped from the US to Chile. Have you forgotten those days?

Here is an example of how things used to be, and of zer0nz advice:

Buying electronics in the states then shipping them to Chile

viewtopic.php?t=5457

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:18 pm

frozen-north wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:09 am
I don't think that it is a matter of "Chileans have discovered the internet"
Perhaps I should have said "Chileans discovered e-commerce when they started using using their brand-new Huawei 4G mobiles en masse" Many of these consumers had never used the internet before then.
China: el gigante de la tecnología que gana terreno en Chile gracias al eCommerce
Según la entidad andina, el 65% de las compras de comercio electrónico que se entregaron en el país el año pasado provenían de Asia. El grupo chino de ecommerce cerró los nueve primeros meses de su ejercicio 2016 con unas ventas de 119.694 millones de yuanes (2.364 millones de dólares), un 56% más que el mismo periodo del año anterior.
Après moi, le déluge

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:55 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Perhaps I should have said "Chileans discovered e-commerce when they started using using their brand-new Huawei 4G mobiles en masse" Many of these consumers had never used the internet before then.
I still don't think it has anything to do with having access to the internet, as it has to do with the changes in shipping available, and, probably, also with the access to credit cards. Just read the description provided by zer0nz and the other comments on that thread. And you could also have a look at the changes in shipping in the last number of years.
Chileans have discovered the internet and are buying stuff directly from China these days, from Alibaba and Bangood and Fasttech (like I do)
Are these Chileans buying on English only pages? When did China start shipping directly to Chile?

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:37 pm

Now you're in waste-my-time mode:
I'll respond to some of your multiple comments this last time
frozen-north wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:55 pm
I still don't think it has anything to do with having access to the internet
Really? Think what you want to think. E-commerce don't work without internet.
frozen-north wrote:
Are these Chileans buying on English only pages?
No. The Chinese are smart enough to do Geolocation. If I want an English page, I have to select it manually.
frozen-north wrote:
When did China start shipping directly to Chile?
At least four or five years ago. Why do you not know this already?
When I say I order stuff directly from China, its because I do!
I am not going to scan an invoice just to prove it to you.
frozen-north wrote:
Just read the description provided by zer0nz
Please stop referring me back to a thread that is seven years old. I have consistently mentioned the rise in e-commerce (from China, not the US btw) over the last 2-3 years.

If you want, carry on nitpicking. Just dont expect an answer.
Après moi, le déluge

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:27 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:37 pm
I have consistently mentioned the rise in e-commerce (from China, not the US btw) over the last 2-3 years.
Yes, and hence my theory that a dirty trick by Amazon to throttle Chinese shipments at point of entry is a totally logical step in order to boost their own share. They actually throttled everybody else as well (see my iherb example that was shipped via DHL which is used by Amazon itself as well), just for good measure, although I still do get shipments out of China sent via their European warehouses/couriers, but none sent China Post.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:52 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
I still don't think it has anything to do with having access to the internet
Really? Think what you want to think. E-commerce don't work without internet.
What nonsense. You know well what I was responding to. It was an answer to your two comments, I was not arguing the existence of e-commerce in the world. Same as you were not saying that there was no internet until the Chileans discovered it.
Chileans have discovered the internet and are buying stuff directly from China these days...
"Chileans discovered e-commerce when they started using using their brand-new Huawei 4G mobiles en masse"
So, your argument is that just by owning smartphones people started ordering directly from China. What I am saying is that without the other elements I mentioned, there would not have been en increase in orders. If the pages were not in Spanish; if there was no direct shipping; if there were higher duties, taxes and fees; and if only people that had credit cards with access to US dollars were able to order, there would not have been this increase. Smartphones or no smartphones.

In 2103 there was a 70% of homes with 'banda ancha fija', so it is not as if there was no internet available until the arrival of smartphones. But in those years there was no direct shipping, no Spanish pages in a Chinese web site, and only those with a credit card that could handle US dollars would have been able to place an order. And that is why you have only seen an increase in the last 2-3 years, and that is why that 7 year old thread is relevant, because that was the reality of those times, and that reality changed. And the people that did not have the money to have internet at home seven years ago, probably are not the ones that are going crazy with online shopping today.

I have consistently mentioned the rise in e-commerce (from China, not the US btw) over the last 2-3 years.
By the way, the Chilean Post Office agreement with Aliexpress was in 2016.
CorreosChile sella alianza con Aliexpress: Recibiría 15 millones de paquetes por E-commerce
21 de Septiembre de 2016

http://www.emol.com/noticias/Economia/2 ... merce.html

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:04 am

at46 wrote:
Yes, and hence my theory that a dirty trick by Amazon to throttle Chinese shipments at point of entry is a totally logical step in order to boost their own share. They actually throttled everybody else as well (see my iherb example that was shipped via DHL which is used by Amazon itself as well), just for good measure, although I still do get shipments out of China sent via their European warehouses/couriers, but none sent China Post.
Whether ' Amazon throttles Chinese shipments at point of entry' or not, I wouldn't know, but Amazon has a number of agreements with DHL, in addition to being a very big client, so it could well have different shipping arrangements than everybody else.

This is one of the articles I found that mention the business connection between Amazon and DHL:
Amazon leans on DHL for Prime Air deliveries ahead of $1.5 billion hub
Mar 23, 2017

Amazon.com Inc. has reportedly struck a deal with German shipping giant DHL at its budding Prime Air cargo hub in Kentucky.

Amazon Prime Air will in May start using DHL’s global cargo hub at Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG), the Lane Report said. That will allow Amazon to ship packages while building out its own $1.5 billion hub at CVG.

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... ahead.html

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:38 pm

Amazon has been working well in Chile for at least 3 years already. My highest volume of purchases both there and on AliExpress were made on arrival: Amazon always delivered everything in a week and AliExpress or iHerb deliveries (Correos) were taking somewhere between 6 and 10 weeks.

But since 2017 everything delivered through Correos takes from 8 weeks or even gets lost (which has never happened before).

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Space Cat wrote:
But since 2017 everything delivered through Correos takes from 8 weeks or even gets lost (which has never happened before).
And it seems that it is affecting not only parcels: the Christmas cards that I sent at the end of October still have not arrived.

at46

Post by at46 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:09 pm

We might be looking at a hostile takeover of Correos, too, given the 'leadership' shake-up taking place from November 1st, 2016. http://www.correostransparente.cl/directorio.html