International shipping unreliable

General topics related to Living in Chile
at46

Re: International shipping unreliable

Post by at46 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:40 pm

Maker42 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:22 pm
at46, 2.5 months is nothing. If you review earlier posts in the thread, you see you have to wait at least 6 months before counting something as lost.

And just because Amazon has the money to bribe customs officials to the front of the line doesn't mean Amazon is blocking anything. It just means they're getting priority.
I'm talking from my own experience, which is that all my purchases over the 4 years prior to Amazon screwing up the Chilean postal system arrived safely within two to eight weeks.

In terms of ugly Chilean conspiracies, this one stands on par with the Haitian immigration, in my book.

Maker42

Post by Maker42 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:45 pm

at46 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:40 pm
I'm talking from my own experience, which is that all my purchases over the 4 years prior to Amazon screwing up the Chilean postal system arrived safely within two to eight weeks.

In terms of ugly Chilean conspiracies, this one stands on par with the Haitian immigration, in my book.
Yes, I agree. This is much worse than the unmitigated immigration. The Haitians are finding jobs now and beginning to fit in. Hurray.

But this screw up of customs is incredibly damaging to any business that relies on imported parts or products. I think this will cause the GDP to take a serious hit. Then what? Oh, yeah. Blame it on the "failure of the free market."

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:55 pm

Maker42 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:45 pm
at46 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:40 pm

Yes, I agree. This is much worse than the unmitigated immigration. The Haitians are finding jobs now and beginning to fit in. Hurray.

But this screw up of customs is incredibly damaging to any business that relies on imported parts or products. I think this will cause the GDP to take a serious hit. Then what? Oh, yeah. Blame it on the "failure of the free market."
I'd give it at least five years before passing judgement on the success of the Haitian immigration.

The scary thought is what were the more evil options thrown on Bachelet's table if the unmitigated Haitian immigration was the least evil one?

Likewise with Amazon: what were the more evil options if destroying the national postal system and throttling all others was the least evil one?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:49 pm

Haitian conspiracy: what is the conspiracy when we all know two to three passenger jetloads each day, how many more overland (some with false docs), 365 days a year, beginning how many couple of years ago, with no scrutiny for these "tourists" vs. other immigrants form other countries, when neighboring Dominican Republic that used to have same visa free tourist priviledges got slapped overnight with a visa?
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:12 am

To be contributive (though not concerning an encomienda but a carta), here is my recent experience with US registered mail to Chile.

Chile Correos tracking:
ENVIO ENTREGADO 05/02/2018 17:53 SUCURSAL SAN ANTONIO CENTENARIO

DISPONIBLE PARA RETIRAR EN SUCURSAL SAN ANTONIO CENTENARIO 31/01/2018 11:24 SUCURSAL SAN ANTONIO CENTENARIO

RECIBIDO EN OFICINA DE CORREOSCHILE 30/01/2018 16:06 SUCURSAL SAN ANTONIO CENTENARIO

DESPACHADO A OFICINA DE CORREOSCHILE 30/01/2018 14:26 SAN ANTONIO CDP 01

EN OFICINA DE TRANSITO 30/01/2018 9:21 SAN ANTONIO CDP 01

RECIBIDO EN OFICINA DE CORREOSCHILE 30/01/2018 9:21 SAN ANTONIO CDP 01

DESPACHADO A OFICINA DE CORREOSCHILE 30/01/2018 1:40 PLANTA VIÑA DEL MAR

DESPACHADO A OFICINA DE CORREOSCHILE 27/01/2018 15:31 CEN CENTRO TECNOLOGICO POSTAL

RECEPCION INTERNACIONAL POR CORREOSCHILE 27/01/2018 8:20 CEN CENTRO TECNOLOGICO POSTAL

ENVIO DESPACHADO AL PAIS DE DESTINO 09/01/2018 12:58 OFICINA INTERNACIONAL
USPS tracking:
Tracking History

February 5, 2018, 2:53 pm
Delivered
Your item was delivered in CHILE at 2:53 pm on February 5, 2018.

January 30, 2018, 11:26 am
Customs Clearance Processing Complete

January 27, 2018, 11:18 am
Customs Clearance Processing Complete

January 27, 2018, 5:20 am
Processed Through Facility

January 12, 2018, 9:56 am
Departed
SANTIAGO, CHILE

January 11, 2018, 3:25 pm
Departed
NEW YORK, UNITED STATES

January 11, 2018, 11:15 am
Arrived
NEW YORK, UNITED STATES

January 9, 2018, 12:58 pm
Processed Through Facility
ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)

January 9, 2018, 12:56 pm
Arrived at Facility
ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)

January 4, 2018, 9:33 pm
Departed USPS Facility
LOS ANGELES, CA 90009

January 4, 2018, 8:48 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility
LOS ANGELES, CA 90009

January 3, 2018, 4:21 pm
Departed USPS Facility
LOS ANGELES, CA 90052

January 2, 2018, 9:33 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility
LOS ANGELES, CA 90052

January 2, 2018, 9:18 am
USPS in possession of item
-------, CA 9----
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:03 am

There is a much simpler explanation than conspiracy theories: Chileans have discovered the internet and are buying stuff directly from China these days, from Alibaba and Bangood and Fasttech (like I do)

So all those little China Post packets are clogging up a system that was never much good anyway....and I bet the government hasn't invested one peso to cope with this e-shopping avalanche.

But if you want a theory, consider this: Governments dont like seeing money going out the country, so they have no reason to improve an inefficient and run-down state enterprise - Correos de Chile - that would facilitate this cash outflow. So not a conspiracy, just neglect, intentional or otherwise. Its hard to tell the difference with this current administration.
Après moi, le déluge

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:25 pm

at46 wrote:

So, to confirm or refute my conspiracy theory about Amazon throttling others' shipments into Chile, I did an experiment buying the same item from Amazon and iherb.com, shipped with the same carrier - DHL. After 2.5 months in the mail, I now consider the iherb shipment officially lost. The Amazon shipment, on the other hand, I got two days before their estimated delivery date.
One part that is not known is whether actually DHL handled all of the delivery. From a little search using Google it seems that Amazon has some rather complicated shipping arrangements.

Here is one of the articles from 2016:
Will Amazon Kill FedEx?
August 31, 2016

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016 ... -delivery/
And by the way, the answer to that article seems to be 'Yes!'
Amazon said to launch delivery service to compete with UPS and FedEx
Feb 9, 2018

Amazon is gearing up to compete directly with UPS and FedEx, according to a new Wall Street Journal report. The so-called “Shipping with Amazon” program will be an end-to-end shipping solution, with pickups from businesses and shipments made to consumers, per the report.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/09/amazo ... and-fedex/

rasmataz

Post by rasmataz » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:34 pm

I order things periodically from Amazon and they normally ship via DHL and other than a few hiccups with Aduana, I rarely have had any problems. However, my most recent order was shipped Landmark Global. What a nightmare. Because this carrier is partially owned by Belgian Post, my shipment went from the U.S. to Belgium for a few days before it was shipped to Chile. Amazon reimbursed me for the cost of shipping. Hopefully, they have not switched away from DHL.

at46

Post by at46 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:11 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:03 am
There is a much simpler explanation than conspiracy theories: Chileans have discovered the internet and are buying stuff directly from China these days, from Alibaba and Bangood and Fasttech (like I do)

So all those little China Post packets are clogging up a system that was never much good anyway....and I bet the government hasn't invested one peso to cope with this e-shopping avalanche.
I would totally agree with you if the deterioration in shipping times were gradual. In actual fact, however, it was very sudden, like a dam put in, and seemingly unconnected to anything but the rumors of Amazon coming in.
fraggle092 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:03 am
But if you want a theory, consider this: Governments dont like seeing money going out the country, so they have no reason to improve an inefficient and run-down state enterprise - Correos de Chile - that would facilitate this cash outflow. So not a conspiracy, just neglect, intentional or otherwise. Its hard to tell the difference with this current administration.
So why would the Chilean government maintain Correos de Chile at all if it's just a money drain? Chile has many commercial courier companies that can do a much better job than Correos ever did, no cierto?

Could some smooth government operators be artfully setting it up for failure in order to privatize it?

But also, what theory would explain the fact that an identical item I bought at iherb.com and Amazon and shipped using identical DHL tariff got lost in the case of iherb but successfully delivered in the case of Amazon? Same item, same courier, same tariff?

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:47 pm

at46 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:11 pm
So why would the Chilean government maintain Correos de Chile at all if it's just a money drain? Chile has many commercial courier companies that can do a much better job than Correos ever did, no cierto?
Never heard of the Universal Postal Union ?
There is the social aspect too, providing citizens with a low-cost accessible mail service.
And government communications are never delivered by private carrier.

In that Wikipedia link quoted, please note the following:
In recent years UPU members have encountered serious problems triggered by the enormous increase in e-commerce originating from the Far East, where the terminal dues do not cover the unit costs of delivery in the destination countries, and the volumes are so big that the losses cannot be compensated by better terminal dues from other traffic. In 2016 a new remuneration system was implemented with a focus on e-commerce
at46 wrote:
Could some smooth government operators be artfully setting it up for failure in order to privatize it?
What?? Bachelet is definitely no Maggie Thatcher.
at46 wrote:
But also, what theory would explain the fact that an identical item I bought at iherb.com and Amazon and shipped using identical DHL tariff got lost in the case of iherb but successfully delivered in the case of Amazon? Same item, same courier, same tariff?
I dont know, but I wouldn't attempt to draw any serious conclusions from two events, certainly not an international conspiracy. Sh*t sometimes just happens. As for Amazon coming to Chile, that may be just to establish their cloud services, not the retail operation, who knows.
Après moi, le déluge

at46

Post by at46 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:52 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:47 pm

I dont know, but I wouldn't attempt to draw any serious conclusions from two events, certainly not an international conspiracy. Sh*t sometimes just happens. As for Amazon coming to Chile, that may be just to establish their cloud services, not the retail operation, who knows.
It's not just me, there's been a large spike in complaints of delayed/lost packages on FB as well, starting right around 8-10 months ago. And, 'coincidentally', Amazon really stepped up their game - again, from about a year back.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:57 pm

at46 wrote:
It's not just me, there's been a large spike in complaints of delayed/lost packages on FB as well, starting right around 8-10 months ago. And, 'coincidentally', Amazon really stepped up their game - again, from about a year back.
I found a page with some complaints about shipments to Canada in 2017.

Anyone have problem shipping to Canada with USPS?

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums ... sps/278684