International shipping unreliable

General topics related to Living in Chile
at46

Re: International shipping unreliable

Post by at46 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:27 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:37 pm
I have consistently mentioned the rise in e-commerce (from China, not the US btw) over the last 2-3 years.
Yes, and hence my theory that a dirty trick by Amazon to throttle Chinese shipments at point of entry is a totally logical step in order to boost their own share. They actually throttled everybody else as well (see my iherb example that was shipped via DHL which is used by Amazon itself as well), just for good measure, although I still do get shipments out of China sent via their European warehouses/couriers, but none sent China Post.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:52 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
I still don't think it has anything to do with having access to the internet
Really? Think what you want to think. E-commerce don't work without internet.
What nonsense. You know well what I was responding to. It was an answer to your two comments, I was not arguing the existence of e-commerce in the world. Same as you were not saying that there was no internet until the Chileans discovered it.
Chileans have discovered the internet and are buying stuff directly from China these days...
"Chileans discovered e-commerce when they started using using their brand-new Huawei 4G mobiles en masse"
So, your argument is that just by owning smartphones people started ordering directly from China. What I am saying is that without the other elements I mentioned, there would not have been en increase in orders. If the pages were not in Spanish; if there was no direct shipping; if there were higher duties, taxes and fees; and if only people that had credit cards with access to US dollars were able to order, there would not have been this increase. Smartphones or no smartphones.

In 2103 there was a 70% of homes with 'banda ancha fija', so it is not as if there was no internet available until the arrival of smartphones. But in those years there was no direct shipping, no Spanish pages in a Chinese web site, and only those with a credit card that could handle US dollars would have been able to place an order. And that is why you have only seen an increase in the last 2-3 years, and that is why that 7 year old thread is relevant, because that was the reality of those times, and that reality changed. And the people that did not have the money to have internet at home seven years ago, probably are not the ones that are going crazy with online shopping today.

I have consistently mentioned the rise in e-commerce (from China, not the US btw) over the last 2-3 years.
By the way, the Chilean Post Office agreement with Aliexpress was in 2016.
CorreosChile sella alianza con Aliexpress: Recibiría 15 millones de paquetes por E-commerce
21 de Septiembre de 2016

http://www.emol.com/noticias/Economia/2 ... merce.html

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:04 am

at46 wrote:
Yes, and hence my theory that a dirty trick by Amazon to throttle Chinese shipments at point of entry is a totally logical step in order to boost their own share. They actually throttled everybody else as well (see my iherb example that was shipped via DHL which is used by Amazon itself as well), just for good measure, although I still do get shipments out of China sent via their European warehouses/couriers, but none sent China Post.
Whether ' Amazon throttles Chinese shipments at point of entry' or not, I wouldn't know, but Amazon has a number of agreements with DHL, in addition to being a very big client, so it could well have different shipping arrangements than everybody else.

This is one of the articles I found that mention the business connection between Amazon and DHL:
Amazon leans on DHL for Prime Air deliveries ahead of $1.5 billion hub
Mar 23, 2017

Amazon.com Inc. has reportedly struck a deal with German shipping giant DHL at its budding Prime Air cargo hub in Kentucky.

Amazon Prime Air will in May start using DHL’s global cargo hub at Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG), the Lane Report said. That will allow Amazon to ship packages while building out its own $1.5 billion hub at CVG.

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... ahead.html

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:38 pm

Amazon has been working well in Chile for at least 3 years already. My highest volume of purchases both there and on AliExpress were made on arrival: Amazon always delivered everything in a week and AliExpress or iHerb deliveries (Correos) were taking somewhere between 6 and 10 weeks.

But since 2017 everything delivered through Correos takes from 8 weeks or even gets lost (which has never happened before).

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Space Cat wrote:
But since 2017 everything delivered through Correos takes from 8 weeks or even gets lost (which has never happened before).
And it seems that it is affecting not only parcels: the Christmas cards that I sent at the end of October still have not arrived.

at46

Post by at46 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:09 pm

We might be looking at a hostile takeover of Correos, too, given the 'leadership' shake-up taking place from November 1st, 2016. http://www.correostransparente.cl/directorio.html

at46

Post by at46 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:52 pm

A takeover with the ultimate goal of privatization (concession) along the lines of the Argie experience. Given Amazon's push to replace established courier companies, I wouldn't be surprised to see it's participation in the capital of the eventual concession-holder. After all, wouldn't it be only logical for Amazon to take over 'last mile' after taking over the international long-haul capacity?

"...after delayed and changing definitions regarding the form that privatization would take, by Executive Order No. 265/97 a public national and international bid was called for a 30-year period service concession of the official post office. In August that same year, the bid was awarded (by Executive Order No. 840/97) to a consortium (Correo Argentino S.A. - CASA) made up of Itron S.A. and Sideco Americana S.A. (both owned by the local group SOCMA - Sociedades Macri), with a 73.5% interest, and Banco de Galicia y Buenos Aires S.A. (with 12.5%), keeping the remaining 14.0% for the official post office employees, under the scheme imposed by the Employee Stock Ownership Plan—which was never actually imple-mented. The process was conducted with the technical assistance of the British Post Office.''
http://www.uniglobalunion.org/sites/def ... -%20EN.pdf

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:52 pm

frozen-north wrote:
Space Cat wrote: But since 2017 everything delivered through Correos takes from 8 weeks or even gets lost (which has never happened before).
And it seems that it is affecting not only parcels: the Christmas cards that I sent at the end of October still have not arrived.

Update:

One of the Christmas cards arrived to Chile. The Puerto Montt Postal Office stamp says '13-March'. Five months.

rocksana

Post by rocksana » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:09 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:47 am
People, Correos Chile has a reputation going back decades for not being able to deliver junk mail correctly, let alone anything of value.

Why would you risk using it for an international shipment?
So what alternatives do you suggest?

rocksana

Post by rocksana » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:20 pm

Gloria wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:17 pm

Get a POBox.
I have never used that service but by reading a bit, it seems like it is used mainly to get the stuff you bought abroad. But, when you need to send from Chile, is there any alternative? Or does this work both ways?

Harry2017

Post by Harry2017 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:08 pm

Is the pobox also rented from correos?
How does that work?

at46

Post by at46 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:31 pm

Update on Aliexpress:

The last couple of purchases shipped 'Aliexpress Standard Shipping' came through, taking about 5 weeks.

Several previous purchases shipped 'China Post' still missing after 6 months.