International shipping unreliable

General topics related to Living in Chile
User avatar
Maker42
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:56 pm
Location: Los Andes

Re: International shipping unreliable

Post by Maker42 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:06 pm

Harry2017 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:08 pm
Is the pobox also rented from correos?
How does that work?
You just go to an office with boxes and say you want to rent one. The process is very easy.

However, I've tried this. I had packages sent to both my box and my house. Both routes take a LOOOOONNNGGG time. I've concluded the delays are mostly in customs.

Customs: The nice name for the government racketeering scam where they intercept your shipment and demand a ransom to allow it through. Or just keep it for themselves anyway.

Harry2017
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:49 pm

Re: International shipping unreliable

Post by Harry2017 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:42 pm

Maker42 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:06 pm
Harry2017 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:08 pm
Is the pobox also rented from correos?
How does that work?
You just go to an office with boxes and say you want to rent one. The process is very easy.

However, I've tried this. I had packages sent to both my box and my house. Both routes take a LOOOOONNNGGG time. I've concluded the delays are mostly in customs.

Customs: The nice name for the government racketeering scam where they intercept your shipment and demand a ransom to allow it through. Or just keep it for themselves anyway.
What about using one of those companies. Like cassilla Miami with correos Chile. Does that make ithe anymore. Reliable?

User avatar
Space Cat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1653
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: Valdivia

Re: International shipping unreliable

Post by Space Cat » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:57 pm

Casilla Miami has a poor UI and they demand to store your credit card number. I'm totally not fine with Correos storing my card number but I can't delete it now haha. (I used it for one delivery.)

Chilebox by Chilexpress is good but all forwarders are expensive: I don't want to spend $20 for getting a $15 item.

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1170
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Re: International shipping unreliable

Post by at46 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:51 pm

Update on my iherb purchase from early Dec 2017 that I wrote off as lost - I finally got it yesterday, after 4.5 months in the mail, woo-hoo!

It was delivered by DHL to Correos Chile in Santiago on Jan 17th, and then it took Correos 2.5 months to deliver from Santiago to Concón.

Oh, well, at least Correos didn´t make me run around filling out some stupid customs paperwork.

User avatar
fraggle092
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2245
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: In Chile

Re: International shipping unreliable

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:10 pm

Last week correos delivered a package that was shipped from the US on the 27th November last year. Only 4 1/2 months that time.
So hoping that the items shipped in October may still turn up......
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

jehturner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1502
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:24 am
Location: La Serena

Re: International shipping unreliable

Post by jehturner » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:29 pm

That has been completely typical for some time now, in my experience. It got much slower around 2010 and slower again a couple of years ago. We also just got a couple of parcels from about that long ago, so maybe they're clearing out the warehouse...

paladin
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: International shipping unreliable

Post by paladin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:53 pm

jehturner wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:29 pm
That has been completely typical for some time now, in my experience. It got much slower around 2010 and slower again a couple of years ago. We also just got a couple of parcels from about that long ago, so maybe they're clearing out the warehouse...
Your idea fits my case, as the xmas card postmarked 1.12.17 that recently arrived, looked like it had been on the floor, maybe resulting from being kicked under the sorting table at some time.

User avatar
Space Cat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1653
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: Valdivia

Re: International shipping unreliable

Post by Space Cat » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:50 pm

I just received a big package from Amazon via DHL. It should be over 8kg and have over 20 books, but I found it almost empty, with only 6 books inside — all damaged because of wobbling alone in a huge box without the standard airbags.

There was an additional Argentinian(!) book in Spanish that I did not order, and that is not sold on Amazon at all. I also ordered a couple of balls for a dog — instead there were two golf(!!) balls with logos of "Cerveza artesanal Volcanes del Sur" which is a brand of Chilean beer.

Clearly, something happened to the package after it arrived to Chile. I reported it to Amazon and got a replacement with no proofs asked, probably because I've been ordering there regularly for many years. Now I'm perplexed if they managed to mix two packages or it was some ironic theft with those Chilean golf balls as a joke.

That's my second international shipping incident in 6 years, about a year ago my Mac Mini forwarded via Chilebox (Chilexpress) was completely destroyed — the package looked like a truck rolled over it. I got a full refund but it was stressful because they almost did not register my case number in the first 24h (luckily, I called the second time to check it), and then nobody in Valdivian Chilexpress knew how to return the damaged item.

Rhodolite
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: International shipping unreliable

Post by Rhodolite » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:20 am

A few years ago I read about someone who received a package from family in Europe. When opened, there was a bag of Chilean candy replacing the weight of items removed.

User avatar
fraggle092
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2245
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: In Chile

Re: International shipping unreliable

Post by fraggle092 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:44 am

Rhodolite wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:20 am
A few years ago I read about someone who received a package from family in Europe. When opened, there was a bag of Chilean candy replacing the weight of items removed.
Among other household effects, we had a Casio keyboard shipped here. When it was unpacked, the instrument had been removed and replaced by lengths of scrap wood. Other items were damaged or missing. That was a sea shipment to Valparaiso nearly 30 years ago, and I never repeated that experience.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

User avatar
Space Cat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1653
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: Valdivia

Re: International shipping unreliable

Post by Space Cat » Sat May 08, 2021 8:25 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:50 pm
I just received a big package from Amazon via DHL. It should be over 8kg and have over 20 books, but I found it almost empty, with only 6 books inside — all damaged because of wobbling alone in a huge box without the standard airbags.

Forgot to update: I reported it with lots of photos and details to DHL too, so they had a chance to investigate. But I had to contact Amazon for the second time because the first support person failed to create a new order for some reason. After that got most things sent again quickly plus a few refunded (they were bought from 3rd party sellers on Amazon, so the rules are slightly different in that case).

Post Reply