General topics related to Living in Chile
lost gringo

Re: International shipping unreliable

Post by lost gringo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:50 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:14 am
hlf2888 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:12 pm
I ordered some books from Amazon on Dec 15. They sent a note saying they would arrive before Christmas. I doubted it, being in Chile. The books arrived 6 days later. 6 days later. I repeated because it sounded incredulous.
It's always like this because Amazon uses DHL and employs their own customs agents to speed the delivery up. It's 5-6 working days to southern Chile with the cheapest standard shipping.
I've yet to use Amazon in Chile but I'd like to. How does the Aduana and tax part work?
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:04 am

As an experiment, I made an order today with Amazon.
I already had an account from several years ago, but had never used it.
Had to update my card info, the old one had expired. They also required RUT and postcode.

(Personal info removed)
Capture2a.jpg
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:31 pm

[/quote]

I've yet to use Amazon in Chile but I'd like to. How does the Aduana and tax part work?
[/quote]

Pay everything to Amazon and they fix customs, shipping , tax etc.
Quick, easy and painless, but expensive.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:58 pm

So if Amazon does indeed come to Chile the only things that might be different is speed: a little faster(because no Aduana inspections) and all internal shipping?
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:27 pm

I would assume substantially lower total price. Bulk shipment and customs clearance should be a lot cheaper than individual ones. I guess import tax should be lower as well as you will be paying tax on Amazon purchase price instead of on final price.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Aren't they already U.S. prices?
Does Aduana now charge tax on shipping charges also?

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:01 pm

lost gringo wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:58 pm
So if Amazon does indeed come to Chile the only things that might be different is speed: a little faster(because no Aduana inspections) and all internal shipping?
Spacecat posted that only takes 6-7 days to reach down south chile. That is darn fast me thinks due to in the US may take 2-3 days for receiving the goods. ( free ones) faster if you willing to pay a little extra being told?
Sometime it never arrives 'cause thieves cruising around the nicer neighbourhoods to steal the dropped shipment.!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:11 pm

lost gringo wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:46 pm
Aren't they already U.S. prices?
Does Aduana now charge tax on shipping charges also?
You pay US price + shipping + tax + customs clearance.
I assume that shipping, tax and customs will be cheaper if / when Amazon operate fully in Chile

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:17 pm

Today I received an item dispatched via USPS Airmail Economy on the 9th September last year. That took 18 weeks and was the oldest outstanding item I had. So Correos are still delivering, its just increasingly taking longer.

By contrast, an item purchased via Amazon on Dec. 24 arrived on Jan 3.....

Après moi, le déluge

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks Gloria, but I dont think that the arrival of 2 metres of glass fibre stove gasket strip really deserves an asado.... :)

Après moi, le déluge

at46

Post by at46 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:40 pm

at46 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:44 pm
Conspiracy theory: Amazon throttling regular post shipments out of China. For the first time in a few years here my latest Aliexpress purchases sent Chinapost / Hong Kong post were lost. The ones purchased on Ali but coming out of their European warehouses via European postal services get through within a couple of weeks.

Edit: could be Falabella, too.
So, to confirm or refute my conspiracy theory about Amazon throttling others' shipments into Chile, I did an experiment buying the same item from Amazon and iherb.com, shipped with the same carrier - DHL. After 2.5 months in the mail, I now consider the iherb shipment officially lost. The Amazon shipment, on the other hand, I got two days before their estimated delivery date.

Maker42

Post by Maker42 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:16 pm

at46 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:40 pm
at46 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:44 pm
Conspiracy theory: Amazon throttling regular post shipments out of China. For the first time in a few years here my latest Aliexpress purchases sent Chinapost / Hong Kong post were lost. The ones purchased on Ali but coming out of their European warehouses via European postal services get through within a couple of weeks.

Edit: could be Falabella, too.
So, to confirm or refute my conspiracy theory about Amazon throttling others' shipments into Chile, I did an experiment buying the same item from Amazon and iherb.com, shipped with the same carrier - DHL. After 2.5 months in the mail, I now consider the iherb shipment officially lost. The Amazon shipment, on the other hand, I got two days before their estimated delivery date.
Do you see any gun boats with Amazon logo running interference on other incoming ships? Or maybe Amazon F16's blocking the arrival of competing carriers? I doubt it.

What I see an organized crime ring that demands payment every time some shipment comes onto Chilean shores. And those same mafia-like criminals gladly accept payment from Amazon, which Amazon makes the consumer pay, to make the shipment go through their warehouses faster. These criminals call themselves "customs agents." They are backed up by other thugs with guns. The gunman call themselves "PDI." They both claim to be part of a larger crime ring that claim to "protect" people, and call themselves "government."

Government takes a lot of money from people, so that they can dominate the first 18-25 years of everyone's life in government propaganda camps called "schools." They pound in the belief that without them, there would be chaos and violence. And after spending so much time under that propaganda in such a formative position in life, most people just believe the claims. And so they grudgingly surrender about half of their every working day, working not for themselves, but solely for the benefit of this crime ring. People actually believe the propaganda, even though their eyes tell them that most of the violence by far is perpetrated by the government mafia.

So maybe if there's some dirty dealing being done, which I don't doubt, we can pin the blame on the only organized crime rings that have the firepower necessary to pull off such a mighty swindle?