The Pinera administration 2.0

General topics related to Living in Chile
41southchile

Re: The Pinera administration 2.0

Post by 41southchile » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:55 am

admin wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:37 am
And it is not even ho hum low level warm fuzzy robberies that left like's to portrait as just poor people with no opportunities or choice trying to make a living to feed their families or some crap like that. They picked up a guy with 4 or 5 warrants in Puerto Montt last year. He has 97 arrests on his record. Among some of the more fun ones, robbery with a deadly weapon, rape, attempted murder, arms trafficking, drug trafficking, on and on. Not like they were having trouble finding the guy, he seems to have been in custody regularly.

The left gutted the criminal courts about 15+ years ago, and they never fixed them.
I remember hearing about that guy on the radio, I think there was also a woman who had over 100 warrants, might have been over 120, the guys on the news program on the radio were basically lost for words on how it was even possible, there is no logical explication.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:00 pm

at46 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:33 am
Space Cat wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:52 pm
The article mentions nothing like private prisons though. Similar reinsertion practices exist in EU countries and they work well.
una alianza público-privada, en la que las empresas comprometen empleos e instalan unidades productivas en las cárceles y puestos de trabajo fuera de ellas.
Translation: private companies will employ prisoners for peanuts and a promise of work once they're released. I don't know about EU, is that what they do there too?
Depends on the country but I remember watching similar stuff about Dutch prisons, they even cut the term for being a good worker. The Nordics are also extremely rehabilitation-focused and it pays off — recently some of them were renting out empty cells to other European countries.

at46

Post by at46 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:06 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:00 pm
at46 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:33 am
Space Cat wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:52 pm
The article mentions nothing like private prisons though. Similar reinsertion practices exist in EU countries and they work well.
una alianza público-privada, en la que las empresas comprometen empleos e instalan unidades productivas en las cárceles y puestos de trabajo fuera de ellas.
Translation: private companies will employ prisoners for peanuts and a promise of work once they're released. I don't know about EU, is that what they do there too?
Depends on the country but I remember watching similar stuff about Dutch prisons, they even cut the term for being a good worker. The Nordics are also extremely rehabilitation-focused and it pays off — recently some of them were renting out empty cells to other European countries.
A prison term in a Nordic country might be enough of a deterrent in itself for someone from Italy or Spain. Chile should strike up a deal like that with Russia or something.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:49 pm

at46 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:06 pm
A prison term in a Nordic country might be enough of a deterrent in itself for someone from Italy or Spain. Chile should strike up a deal like that with Russia or something.
Argentina, Chileans say that Argentinians have horrible bread. A thought of eating Argentinian bread for years should cease all criminal activity in Chile.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:56 pm

Just being around self-absorbed, nationalism wrapped in a flag arrogant pricks whose Italian-like accent gets old soon enough should wear on any Chilean in the same barred space real fast and even before the bread gets stale.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:32 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:49 pm
at46 wrote:
Argentina, Chileans say that Argentinians have horrible bread. A thought of eating Argentinian bread for years should cease all criminal activity in Chile.
nope, in a bread war argentina would totally kill chile. i can not stand traditional chilean bread / tastless hockey puck rocks they claim is bread.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:51 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:32 pm
Space Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:49 pm
at46 wrote:
nope, in a bread war argentina would totally kill chile. i can not stand traditional chilean bread / tastless hockey puck rocks they claim is bread.
Yeah, I´d go to Mendoza any day just to eat their tiny empanadas and beef parilladas. Also to remind myself of what beautiful people really look like :)

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:29 pm

41southchile wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:09 pm
at46 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:53 pm
Space Cat wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:41 pm
A right-wing government that goes for rehabilitation instead of demonizing offenders as irredeemable?
That's why I like Chilean political culture despite all its flaws.

Lanzan programa piloto de reinserción en recintos penales
https://www.ahoranoticias.cl/noticias/n ... pleos.html
I'm sorry, but this actually smells like for profit private prison enterprise that they've been doing in the States for years now.
Yeah Serco has done such a great job in NZ that the government (a right wing conservative govt btw) had to take the management contract back off them after so many scandals a few years ago. If that's what it is , I would be very wary of for profit prisons here, other countries experiences have not been that great with them, to put it mildly.
Slightly related offtopic, Europe is already going full cyberpunk in this field: Inmates in Finland are training AI as part of prison labor

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:10 pm

The senate just approved "Ley Transformación Digital del Estado".

All "tramites" go digital, no more paper exchange between government institutions or paper certificate requests from citizens.

bert.douglas

Post by bert.douglas » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:17 am

Space Cat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:10 pm

All "tramites" go digital, no more paper exchange between government institutions or paper certificate requests from citizens.
Hah! There will be paperless bathrooms before there is a paperless government. Never happen.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:07 am

bert.douglas wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:17 am
Space Cat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:10 pm

Hah! There will be paperless bathrooms before there is a paperless government. Never happen.
😂 I agree.
The office was supposed to be paperless more than a decade ago, more paper than ever is used nowadays.
I see a popular school in Australia are going away from digital devices for learning, back to? ............books. wonder how many more will follow?

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:46 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:18 am
well that sounds like progress. it implies they are thinking about putting someone in prison in the first place.

there are hundreds, possibly thousands, of people running around this country with 30, 40, 70+ arrest for robbery and numerous other crimes, that have never seen much more than a few hours in jail.

I am not a fan of the "3 strikes your out", but i would settle for "30 strikes your out". chances are at arrest number 31, no one is making a mistake about what a complete piece shit you are and a leach on society.
Looks like they are doing something in a national round up the other day, 147 rounded up in Los Lagos region
https://www.soychile.cl/Puerto-Montt/So ... Lagos.aspx