The Pinera administration 2.0

General topics related to Living in Chile
admin
Site Admin

Re: The Pinera administration 2.0

Post by admin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:38 am

yea, you mean the one that was supppse to be ready august 1st.

i'll keep bracing. probably for another 30 years.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:58 am

at least they are leaning the right way with that addition to providing some sort of objective standard to income.

right now, we have literaly had people that are millionares arbitrarily rejected by immigration as having insuficient means to support themselves (mostly due to lazy employees that never read the aplication).

i have for years been telling people that 500,000 pesos per month, per person in the household, as a safe number; exactly because department of immigration sort of makes a number up themselves depending on who is reading the aplication. now they are setting a minimum poverty line requirment.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:40 am

Space Cat wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:06 pm
A great overview of the current situation from The Economist:
Steering Chile away from the middle-income trap

If you are out of free Economist's articles, here's a copy.

Some quotes:
Growth has recovered partly because copper prices have. Potential growth—the economy’s capacity to grow without inflationary pressure—is only around 3%.
The workforce will shrink as the population ages unless more women, young people and immigrants join it. Productivity is “low and stagnant”, according to the OECD, a club of mostly rich countries. This holds back potential growth. Chile’s dream of becoming a fully developed economy thus looks elusive. Its biggest challenge “is to avoid falling into the middle-income trap”, says Rodrigo Aravena, the chief economist of Banco de Chile, a commercial bank.
Achieving that ambition will require advances on several fronts. Some will meet resistance; others will take years to produce results. The plans include a five-year concession programme, under which investors will spend nearly $15bn, about 6% of this year’s GDP, to build roads, airports and hospitals. The government itself will invest $8bn in the Araucanía region, Chile’s poorest. It wants to provide free nursery school for every child, which should bring more women into the labour force and raise productivity in the long run. Employers will pay into a fund for that. The government also plans to reduce regulation of business, which is more complex than in any other member of the OECD. More controversial is a scheme to make rules for employing students more flexible than for other workers.
Chile has no independent agency like Britain’s Office of Budget Responsibility to estimate revenues and spending, points out Eduardo Engel, a director of Espacio Público, a think-tank. The government missed an opportunity to set the tax on diesel at the same rate as that on petrol and has left open widely used loopholes.
If the tax reform does not pay for itself, the government will have less money to spend on more popular policies, like the investment in Araucanía. Mr Engel worries that the battle over tax reform will use up political capital needed to address the grievances of Chile’s middle class, especially crime, poor-quality health care and pension benefits they deem to be too low. Neither Mr Piñera nor his ministers have been astute political managers. The education minister suggested in July that schools should host bingo games to pay for repairs, a gaffe that led to his sacking.
larain (minister of economy) did not like that article in the economist either. he wrote a response to it:

https://www.df.cl/noticias/economia-y-p ... 70940.html

it bugged me too. i have my own responce to it, i will post as soon as i get a chance.