The Pinera administration 2.0

General topics related to Living in Chile
mem

Re: The Pinera administration 2.0

Post by mem » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:55 pm

Pinera and Trump at the Whitehouse. Pinera showed a Chile flag at the heart of the US flag

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... story.html

at46

Post by at46 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:44 pm

mem wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:55 pm
Pinera and Trump at the Whitehouse. Pinera showed a Chile flag at the heart of the US flag

Impressive and cost-effective PR :) And the sound of Bachelet brown-noser heads exploding all over the country - priceless!

mem

Post by mem » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:06 pm

at46 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:44 pm
mem wrote:

Impressive and cost-effective PR :) And the sound of Bachelet brown-noser heads exploding all over the country - priceless!
Unfortunatley trump pronounced Chile as Chili instead of Chee-Lay in the presence of Pinera. Then some reporters had to ask about Kavanaugh while Pinera was still holding up the us/Chile flag thing. I was appalled for Pinera, being treated like a kid at the dinner table lol

at46

Post by at46 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:52 pm

mem wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:06 pm
at46 wrote:
mem wrote:

Unfortunatley trump pronounced Chile as Chili instead of Chee-Lay in the presence of Pinera. Then some reporters had to ask about Kavanaugh while Pinera was still holding up the us/Chile flag thing. I was appalled for Pinera, being treated like a kid at the dinner table lol
Chili is actually the correct English pronunciation :) Trying to say it in Spanish would be like trying to say Paris in French, you see? It's just not appropriate for a US president. http://learnersdictionary.com/definition/Chile

Pinera got onto more TV screens with that little stunt than Bachelet ever could with whatever boring PC BS she'd ever spout. So just reminding people about Chile and showing it in a friendly (even if quirky) light was a good thing.

Plus Pinera brought a few 'nos' to Trump, judging from his Bloomberg interview: no to Venezuela military intervention; no to increased Venezuelan immigration into Chile (to prevent Venezuelan brain drain, the argument, which I actually found quite interesting); and no to preferential treatment of US businesses in Chile.

A small funny gesture with a quirky flag display just served to soften the message.

mem

Post by mem » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:49 am

at46 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:52 pm
mem wrote:
at46 wrote:
mem wrote:

Chili is actually the correct English pronunciation :) Trying to say it in Spanish would be like trying to say Paris in French, you see? It's just not appropriate for a US president. http://learnersdictionary.com/definition/Chile

Pinera got onto more TV screens with that little stunt than Bachelet ever could with whatever boring PC BS she'd ever spout. So just reminding people about Chile and showing it in a friendly (even if quirky) light was a good thing.

Plus Pinera brought a few 'nos' to Trump, judging from his Bloomberg interview: no to Venezuela military intervention; no to increased Venezuelan immigration into Chile (to prevent Venezuelan brain drain, the argument, which I actually found quite interesting); and no to preferential treatment of US businesses in Chile.

A small funny gesture with a quirky flag display just served to soften the message.
Interesting on the pronunciation. I have been corrected by Chileans on the pronunciation even when speaking English, but I guess it makes sense considering they are used to hearing it as Chee-Lay in Spanish.

I suppose it's like how you hear Mexicans on tv interviews in the US that go out of their way to say words like "Tortilla" or "Puerto Rico" with this super tangy Latino flair in the pronunciation...when it comes to politicians it almost seems like it's requisite for their ethnic virtue signalling.

So I guess no harm no foul on Trump, but he could have gotten bonus points for Chee-Lay lol

Interesting discussion on this:

https://forum.wordreference.com/threads ... y.3171847/

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:06 pm

yea, i think that was the best i was hoping for. get in, get out, and stay off trumps 3 a.m. twitter rant.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

at46

Post by at46 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:46 pm

mem wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:49 am
at46 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:52 pm
mem wrote:
at46 wrote:
mem wrote:

Interesting on the pronunciation. I have been corrected by Chileans on the pronunciation even when speaking English, but I guess it makes sense considering they are used to hearing it as Chee-Lay in Spanish.

I suppose it's like how you hear Mexicans on tv interviews in the US that go out of their way to say words like "Tortilla" or "Puerto Rico" with this super tangy Latino flair in the pronunciation...when it comes to politicians it almost seems like it's requisite for their ethnic virtue signalling.

So I guess no harm no foul on Trump, but he could have gotten bonus points for Chee-Lay lol

Interesting discussion on this:

https://forum.wordreference.com/threads ... y.3171847/
It's a good discussion. But one thing no one mentioned is that the language differences are actually promoted by the liberal MSM. Because it's one of the easiest ways to divide people and shut them up, make them worried they're not speaking right so they had better not speak at all.

It started in the British MSM 25-30 years ago with a lot of French words suddenly being pronounced in French on TV and written in French italics in newspapers. Later they tried doing the same to some German words, but that didn't 'sound' right, i.e. it wasn't pretentious enough. After all, who in their right mind would wanna imitate the huns' speak, right?

In the US they started bringing in a lot of people with British accents and messing with some Spanish words. Because saying things in French would obviously be way too pretentious in the US.

It's a global project. French language protectionism in France, while seemingly a good thing, is partly fueled by it also.

In the Ukraine 15-20 years ago they introduced a new preposition that is used to say "in the Ukraine" which became the easiest marker of whether the person is pro-Russian or pro-Western.

Most people have no clue about these things, unfortunately.

mem

Post by mem » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:29 pm

I knew it....this all makes sense now. I always suspected something more with all the tangy exotic pronunciations. I once had a buddy that grew up in west Texas. We often made tacos together. He would go out of his way to say tortillas in that super tangy way, and I would respond by saying it as tor till uhs just to throw cold water on him. Harmless among friends, but I can certainly understand an incognito cultural agenda with the media through subtle repression with pronunciation intimidation.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:12 pm

mem wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:29 pm
I knew it....this all makes sense now. I always suspected something more with all the tangy exotic pronunciations. I once had a buddy that grew up in west Texas. We often made tacos together. He would go out of his way to say tortillas in that super tangy way, and I would respond by saying it as tor till uhs just to throw cold water on him. Harmless among friends, but I can certainly understand an incognito cultural agenda with the media through subtle repression with pronunciation intimidation.

Hmmm, once in a Mex place, heard some one say, tor till uhs, then a Mex saz, hombre you have got to pronounce it right, it is Tor ti jahs !
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

mem

Post by mem » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:20 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:12 pm
mem wrote:

Hmmm, once in a Mex place, heard some one say, tor till uhs, then a Mex saz, hombre you have got to pronounce it right, it is Tor ti jahs !
LOL! One time I was travelling through Los Angeles, CA. I waltzed into an authentic taqueria restaurant. I noticed they had my favorite (at the time) mexican hot sauce "Tapatio". So I ask the Mexican guy if I can have some "Tah pah tee oh"...pleased with myself for saying it correctly.
He looks at me, dead in the eyes, and says, Nah, we dont have that. I say it again, and he says nah we dont have that. I look over at the 20+ bottles of the stuff on the counter, and say um I see it over there.
He looks over and laughs at me and says OHHHHhhhhhhhhhh, you want "Tah puh tay oh". Yeah we have that.

Im still baffled to this day, all my mexican friends told me I was saying it right and that only dumb gringos say Tah puh tay oh. I can only assume the Mexican guy at the restaurant was in a bad mood and screwing with me...

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:47 pm

mem wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:20 pm
HybridAmbassador wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:12 pm
mem wrote:

LOL! One time I was travelling through Los Angeles, CA. I waltzed into an authentic taqueria restaurant. I noticed they had my favorite (at the time) mexican hot sauce "Tapatio". So I ask the Mexican guy if I can have some "Tah pah tee oh"...pleased with myself for saying it correctly.
He looks at me, dead in the eyes, and says, Nah, we dont have that. I say it again, and he says nah we dont have that. I look over at the 20+ bottles of the stuff on the counter, and say um I see it over there.
He looks over and laughs at me and says OHHHHhhhhhhhhhh, you want "Tah puh tay oh". Yeah we have that.

Im still baffled to this day, all my mexican friends told me I was saying it right and that only dumb gringos say Tah puh tay oh. I can only assume the Mexican guy at the restaurant was in a bad mood and screwing with me...
If that Mex guy had brown skin on him, may be that he not genuine Mexican but hired immigrant from Siria or something, they all look alike you know !
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Brace yourself, the new immigration law will go to the congress in the end of October:

https://www.latercera.com/nacional/noti ... es/347489/
El compromiso de la comisión es terminar el debate el próximo 23 de octubre, para así dar paso a la discusión del proyecto en la sala de la Cámara Baja, para que posteriormente pase a ser revisado por el Senado.