Best way to alternate two gas tanks for house?

General topics related to Living in Chile
hroe

Best way to alternate two gas tanks for house?

Post by hroe » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:01 pm

Our house has two Lipigas propane tanks, both hooked up to the regulator with a separate valve for each. So we can draw gas from both at the same time or just one of them. These are just manual valves.

The tanks are the tall ones and while I can tell the difference between “full” and “partially used”, I really can’t tell the difference between “below half full” and empty.

Any suggestions on how to make sure we never run out of gas? (But also aren’t wasting money returning partially full tanks?)

I was thinking run one tank “way down” (whatever that means) and then open the second valve so I’m pulling from both tanks. Then once the second tank is “way down” I would know the first tank is empty and needing replacement. And then repeat.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideally no one in household would ever run out of gas in middle of a hot shower!
Thanks!

Gloria

Re: Best way to alternate two gas tanks for house?

Post by Gloria » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:30 pm

Your best bet would be to make one run all way down and then open the second even if you have to come out butt naked (trust me, no one will ever notice) to open the other. Or look in Ebay for "Accu-Level Propane Tank Gauge".
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:00 pm

What Gloria said.

I've got the same setup but I only use one propane cylinder at a time. When the first one is empty, I connect the second and take the empty to exchange for a full one. Always have a spare. Works fine for me. ymmv
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:23 pm

Run one empty, close it.......open the other, trade off the empty, I have a two tank pressure solenoid system, doesn't work very well....it ends up being manual switch overs......never happened in the shower, its normally noticeable at the stove that the gas is at its end....
It's all about the wine.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:46 pm

Get a tank if you can. Not only do they come with a gauge so you can tell when its time to refill,it saves all that frigging about swapping bottles, with the ever-present possibility of stripped threads and gas leaks. Does need to be situated where the gas truck can reach. All the gas companies can assess feasibility and install them. Costs, though.

screenshot-www.abastible.cl-2017-12-11-20-44-30.png
screenshot-www.abastible.cl-2017-12-11-20-44-30.png (102.22 KiB) Viewed 198 times
Après moi, le déluge

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:47 pm

We used to do what everyone else says when we had that system. I don't see how one could run both tanks at once without 1) the pressure equalizing (which just gives you a larger problem of them running out at the same time) or 2) it just being equivalent to closing the old valve and discarding the remaining gas (if there happens to be a check valve). I don't remember actually trying it though... We also have a superbalon (as above) in the house we rent out, which was installed by the builder and belongs to the gas company -- I would have thought would help limit the setup cost if you put it close to existing plumbing. Getting a gauge as suggested by Gloria seems like a good idea, though obviously you would again have to discard a bit of gas to avoid a cut. I'm not quite sure how the capacity scale works, given that some compressed gases seem to drop in pressure rather nonlinearly as they change phase IIRC; the gauge on our superbalon seems a good enough indicator, but in that case the remaining gas doesn't get discarded, so you just top up when it's getting low.

James from work.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:11 pm

EURIKA! guess what someone found....https://www.easy.cl/es/easy-chile/regul ... co-1118789

Don't ever say I never do anything for you! :D
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:53 pm

yea, I have two of the tall bottles, connected to the same regulator. I just turn one off, the other on, and swap one bottle. I thought about keeping one full for emergency, but decided it was better to have a known working back up line, exactly in the event of a thread strip or something along that line.

We use like a bottle of gas every 2-3 months or so, depending on how many people are visiting. Rarely wait more than about half hour for the gas guy. keeping any more large explosive devices around than required, I decided was not worth the risk. If we ran out of gas more frequently, I would probably keep the other one full.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.