Spanish is hard

General topics related to Living in Chile
User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 7587
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Spanish is hard

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:23 pm

OK, he sucks, listen to every three month expert, they definitely know the shit.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 7587
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Spanish is hard

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:30 pm

What is strange for me, my ear is better than my speech. I can understand them 60-85%+ when they speak to me but they can't understand what the hell I'm saying in response.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Gloria
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 4550
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Región de los Ríos

Re: Spanish is hard

Post by Gloria » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:49 pm

Poor vocalization, that can be resolved with someone that has better pronunciation than the majority. You are picking up bad verbal habits.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Rhodolite
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Spanish is hard

Post by Rhodolite » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:15 pm

Or... you are speaking correctly but the person you are speaking to is not accustomed to hearing the entire word. In this area, everyone says "tuto" very fast, no drawn out "u" when they refer to 'trutro'. Ask for a trutro and you're SOL. Might as well be speaking Klingon.

Gloria
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 4550
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Región de los Ríos

Re: Spanish is hard

Post by Gloria » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:05 pm

Rhodolite wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:15 pm
Or... you are speaking correctly but the person you are speaking to is not accustomed to hearing the entire word. In this area, everyone says "tuto" very fast, no drawn out "u" when they refer to 'trutro'. Ask for a trutro and you're SOL. Might as well be speaking Klingon.
:lol: :lol: IMHO you are the product of your environment. If you mingle with people of poor diction, as a foreigner you'll pick up those bad habits and will continue speaking poorly until someone corrects you but most of the time ppl are "afraid" to hurt "feelings".... :roll: and they won't say anything about it. That, doesn't fly with me. If you are near me, I will correct you. If you write poorly I will let you know. If we accept mediocrity, the world will continue going down the toilet waiting for someone with enough courage to flush it.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 7587
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Spanish is hard

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Spanish speaking natives from other countries seem to understand me but with Chileans, I am SOL unless they are already used to hearing native English speakers mangle their language.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

User avatar
David_Bro
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California
Contact:

Re: Spanish is hard

Post by David_Bro » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:03 pm

Oh I am all torn up now, Gloria does not like me!-----I don't care is what I say to that----so take what I have to say into consideration or not----just the same I don't care if you do or you don't---- but i do care for the few that might just take it in just like I was given advice and guidelines when I was first in Chile----at no charge-----so in great respect of those that handed off their wisdom to me, I hand it off too and hope its well taken and when it is great and if not no problem and good luck.


###

Gloria
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 4550
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Región de los Ríos

Re: Spanish is hard

Post by Gloria » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:18 pm

David_Bro wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:03 pm
Oh I am all torn up now, Gloria does not like me!-----I don't care is what I say to that----so take what I have to say into consideration or not----just the same I don't care if you do or you don't---- but i do care for the few that might just take it in just like I was given advice and guidelines when I was first in Chile----at no charge-----so in great respect of those that handed off their wisdom to me, I hand it off too and hope its well taken and when it is great and if not no problem and good luck.


###
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

User avatar
El Zorro
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:30 pm
Location: LA LA land

Re: Spanish is hard

Post by El Zorro » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:52 pm

¿Nadie está interesado en la píldora de aprender idiomas?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Truly smart people are not well known. It's not in their best interest.

frozen-north
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1808
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:28 am

Re: Spanish is hard

Post by frozen-north » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:56 pm

Una pildora?
It's True: Alcohol Helps You Speak a Foreign Language Better

http://time.com/4989850/alcohol-foreign-language-speak/

User avatar
El Zorro
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:30 pm
Location: LA LA land

Re: Spanish is hard

Post by El Zorro » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:10 pm

The way that works is that alcohol makes you think you can speak a foreign language better. If you believe…

-----------------------------------------------------------------
What we all have to understand is that we don't understand it all.

Gloria
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 4550
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Región de los Ríos

Re: Spanish is hard

Post by Gloria » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:44 pm

El Zorro wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:52 pm
¿Nadie está interesado en la píldora de aprender idiomas?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Truly smart people are not well known. It's not in their best interest.
Tengo entendido que hay un supositorio que da los mismos resultados.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Post Reply