Spanish is hard

General topics related to Living in Chile
David_Bro

Re: Spanish is hard

Post by David_Bro » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:03 pm

Oh I am all torn up now, Gloria does not like me!-----I don't care is what I say to that----so take what I have to say into consideration or not----just the same I don't care if you do or you don't---- but i do care for the few that might just take it in just like I was given advice and guidelines when I was first in Chile----at no charge-----so in great respect of those that handed off their wisdom to me, I hand it off too and hope its well taken and when it is great and if not no problem and good luck.

###

El Zorro

Post by El Zorro » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:52 pm

¿Nadie está interesado en la píldora de aprender idiomas?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Truly smart people are not well known. It's not in their best interest.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:56 pm

Una pildora?
It's True: Alcohol Helps You Speak a Foreign Language Better

http://time.com/4989850/alcohol-foreign-language-speak/

El Zorro

Post by El Zorro » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:10 pm

The way that works is that alcohol makes you think you can speak a foreign language better. If you believe…

-----------------------------------------------------------------
What we all have to understand is that we don't understand it all.

El Zorro

Post by El Zorro » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:49 pm

Talk about bait and switch!

---------------------------------------
Man's greatest pastime is self-delusion.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:02 pm

El Zorro wrote:
The way that works is that alcohol makes you think you can speak a foreign language better. If you believe…
You didn't read the the articles. Did you?
The conversations were recorded and then scored by two native Dutch speakers who weren’t aware which people had consumed alcohol. The participants were also asked to self-score their own performances, based on how fluently they felt they’d spoken.

Unexpectedly, alcohol had no effect on the speakers’ self-ratings; those who’d had a drink weren’t any more confident or pleased with their performances than those who’d had water.

But they did perform better, according to those who listened to the recordings.

http://time.com/4989850/alcohol-foreign-language-speak/

El Zorro

Post by El Zorro » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:22 pm

If I had read the article, I wouldn’t have had a chance to be sarcastic about it. I’ve been like that ever since I read one about how a few people ended up speaking German after taking LSD without knowing any of it previously. I know what you mean, though. I speak more than one language, and some days I’m better at one than another just because I’m in a better mood.

-----------------------------------------------
Living well is all that matters. That's what I do.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:07 pm

El Zorro wrote:
If I had read the article, I wouldn’t have had a chance to be sarcastic about it.
You could have made a comment about how much better one can sing after a few drinks.

El Zorro

Post by El Zorro » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:33 am

Especially if you’re also in the shower.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No tengo mucho tiempo para dar consejos. Estoy muy ocupado siguiéndolos yo mismo.

chilly

Post by chilly » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:56 am

I improved my Spanish "hearing" skills a lot by listening to music while looking at the words. Hopefully you can find Spanish-language songs that you like or that are on the radio a lot. If you google the song and the artist, you will often be able to listen to the song and tab over to the lyrics. When listening, I read the lyrics and work on noticing the syllable breaks. So, initially, try not to concentrate so much on the whole word as much as hearing and reading words as syllables. For instance, so/la/men/te for solamente. After multiple times, switch around from syllable listening to listening while looking at the Spanish "words" and the English translation (often side by side). To me, once you improve the ability to hear the syllables, your brain will eventually be able to piece the parts together. Repetition is important but reading Spanish as syllables while the song plays again and again helped the most IME for "hearing Spanish".

Of course, speaking in Spanish helps tie it all together but this post is in response to the hearing/comprehension part. Using music helps the process be more enjoyable, if you like Spanish music.