Spanish is hard

General topics related to Living in Chile
nikotromus

Spanish is hard

Post by nikotromus » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:39 pm

I got of the boat 4 months ago not knowing more than a dozen Spanish words. Since then I've been hitting it hard. I've completed both the Dualingo and Memrise apps for Spanish and had a bunch of tutoring sessions with a native Chilean speaker.

I'm at the level where I can complete basic business transactions without problems. I know the vocabulary for just about everything - at least a basic word to call something. I can read Spanish no problem (might have to look a couple words up). I can speak Spanish when I have enough time to think about what I'm going to say. But hearing Spanish? Forget it. It's by far the hardest part of the equation. I'm not sure how to get myself over the hump. The best idea I have come up with is to put an add out to rent out a room at my place to a native Chilean rent free with the condition that he/she talk only in Spanish and try their best to make me understand what they are saying.

Any other ideas on how I can pick up Spanish quicker?

Rhodolite

Re: Spanish is hard

Post by Rhodolite » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:16 pm

Perhaps you need a copy of: How to Survive in the Chilean Jungle Paperback – 2006
by Alvaro Taboada John Bren Alvaro Taboada

Or - ask people to speak Chileano more slowly.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:29 pm

nikotromus wrote:
But hearing Spanish? Forget it. It's by far the hardest part of the equation. I'm not sure how to get myself over the hump. The best idea I have come up with is to put an add out to rent out a room at my place to a native Chilean rent free with the condition that he/she talk only in Spanish and try their best to make me understand what they are saying.
Not a good idea. What if the renter likes to talk about topics you don't care about? Snooker? Knitting?
I haven't heard of quick ways to improve on the skill to make sense of fast talkers, which is what you said is your current problem.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:33 pm

It takes time. I was fully bilingual when I arrived here and it was a nightmare trying to understand people. It does get easier and I suspect I am now just as incomprehensible to a newcomer. The more you interact the more your ear gets used to the speed, dropped endings of words and local slang!

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:12 pm

Get some drinking buddies, a girlfriend/boyfriend, and some favourite TV programmes in Spanish. Have the TV on in Spanish a lot when at home. Or the radio.

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:10 pm

Sign up to Chilean FB groups of your interest to read people's comments. After some hard break-in you'll start getting how they say things and you'll be able to hear it when they say it. For IT groups try Chile Start Up, for cooking Cocinero y Chef de Chile.

Also read people's comments in online newspapers etc.

Install Reverso Context to be able to translate and look up contexts for words and phrases.

Watch Chilean telenovellas http://www.mega.cl/capitulos-completos/ and read FB pages of some of the actors.

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:15 pm

Also, maybe find a language exchange buddy. I should actually do that myself :)

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:57 pm

Chilean tele-novelas in two words (sic) "Im-pressionasionante"-----make a habit of creating a route every day where you see the same people----panaderia, botilleria, kiosko, la ferreteria, el bazaar, peluqueria, el majordomo, guardia etc...----a little cafe or lunch place----create an environment where you are included and they will have patience with you as you move forward and you will learn and can try out what new words you have learned---and just the same where you are lacking, they will make you aware of what you need to know-----I think its also important to greet formally in the old Chilean way, as well as bid adieu, to everyone and it will come----talk up the taxi guys and eavesdrop on conversations around you where ever you may be-----maybe you are not buying the papers but read the headlines----pay attention to commercials and have the radio on as much as you can-----

####

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:10 pm

Welcome back Sr. Bro.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:18 pm

If you are in Santiago there are a lot of informal language exchange meet-ups. Those might help.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:54 am

nikotromus wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:39 pm
I got of the boat 4 months ago not knowing more than a dozen Spanish words. Since then I've been hitting it hard. I've completed both the Dualingo and Memrise apps for Spanish and had a bunch of tutoring sessions with a native Chilean speaker.

I'm at the level where I can complete basic business transactions without problems. I know the vocabulary for just about everything - at least a basic word to call something. I can read Spanish no problem (might have to look a couple words up). I can speak Spanish when I have enough time to think about what I'm going to say. But hearing Spanish? Forget it. It's by far the hardest part of the equation. I'm not sure how to get myself over the hump. The best idea I have come up with is to put an add out to rent out a room at my place to a native Chilean rent free with the condition that he/she talk only in Spanish and try their best to make me understand what they are saying.

Find a student to use the room, maybe you'll find someone studying education or Spanish...........
It's all about the wine.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:58 am

Thanks for the advice guys...