Buying a new car

General topics related to Living in Chile
Space Cat

Re: Buying a new car

Post by Space Cat » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:18 am

fybian wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:31 pm
1 Do any sale men speak English? 2. Do car dealer accept credit cards?
Somehow serious and reasonable questions like these trigger a chuckle after multiple years living in Chile. xD

"It's your turn now!" kind of schadenfreude.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:21 am

fybian wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:31 pm
Another two relevant questions I would like to ask are: 1 Do any sale men speak English? 2. Do car dealer accept credit cards?
Thanks!
Depends where you are looking. In Santiago, probably there are are English speaking salesmen. Anywhere else, no.
I bought a new vehicle and put 20% on a credit card, the rest in cash but this was in the south of Chile...Los Lagos
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:23 am

We have had clients pay entirly with a foreign credit card for a new or used car from dealers. Takes a bit of credit card nija magic, calling the bank to authorize a one time big purchase, running the card a few times, probably good idea to have a backup card should one be blocked. It can be done.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:14 pm

Purchase a new car using CC? The entire amount? Normally, CC companies er Banks charge the vendor if Visa MC perhaps around 2%, then the Amex is much higher.
Believe if any car dealer willing to accept the hole transaction amount by CC, then the cost must be included in "Selling Price". Here in the states, the dealers accepts up to may be US$3~$5K max, and if more to be put in the card, they normally ask the customer to fork over the"2"% usage fee !
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:45 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:14 pm
Purchase a new car using CC? The entire amount? Normally, CC companies er Banks charge the vendor if Visa MC perhaps around 2%, then the Amex is much higher.
Believe if any car dealer willing to accept the hole transaction amount by CC, then the cost must be included in "Selling Price". Here in the states, the dealers accepts up to may be US$3~$5K max, and if more to be put in the card, they normally ask the customer to fork over the"2"% usage fee !
I had no problem buying a used car here for 8 million fully paid by cc.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:22 am

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:14 pm
As apposed to the always reasonable fees, hassle, and great exchange rate of banks in Chile (assuming new foreigner even has a bank account to send a wire)?

Whatever the card company is charging for that transaction is probably is not that bad.

Especially if the card is really an ATM visa card, rather than a full on credit card with interest payments.

We have also found most of the major dealerships in Chile, have accounts in the U.S., and will accept a payment transfer directly from a U.S. account.

By the way, if you go get financing for a car, assuming you qualify, the rate is not going to be all that different from a U.S. credit card anyway. Basically auto financing in Chile, is the same as "consumer loan", which is basically the same rate as a credit card.

I keep my Chilean credit cards safely in a case that says, "break glass in the event of emergency, and then use the glass to slit your wrists, because it will be cheaper than paying whatever the interest rate is on this card".

My wife uses her cards a lot, but only to collect the lan pass km; and then we setup a auto payment to pay off the entire balance each month. The bank dragged their feet to setup that auto payment, but they finally did do it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:07 pm

I use chilean credit cards for almost all my purchases- for the points as Admins wife and pay everything off every month. Exception being a car loan which was way cheaper with cc. Annual rate 8%. A dealership will easily charge 1 5% - 2% a month...