Buying a new car

General topics related to Living in Chile
fybian

Buying a new car

Post by fybian » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:48 am

Hi All,

We are moving to Chile soon, and we plan to buy a new car in Chile. I have a few questions about the new car price in Chile. Is the price listed on the car dealer website the final price? Are there other fees and tax that I need to pay additionally? Is the car price negotiable? If yes, is there a golden rule that how much lower I should aim for the final price. Like in the US, I was told if the OTD (out-the-door) price is $1000 cheaper than the MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price), it is a good deal.

Thanks,
Frank

jehturner

Re: Buying a new car

Post by jehturner » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:31 am

I think prices typically include tax (and say so), but you should check if in doubt... You can try to negotiate, but based on very limited experience, I think you're unlikely to get as much as $1000 off (perhaps half that). I did get that sort of discount, but only after a series of mishaps that the dealer was on the hook for.

paladin

Post by paladin » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:21 pm

It depends on the make, as for example Toyota has no problem selling their cars, whereas some of the dubious Chinese makes do. I’vebought Toyota for ths last 11 yearsand find they give you around2-3% discount automatically, but not in reducing the price. They pay the licence fees for you and install various extras for free. Most of the bigger discounts you see offered in the newspapers , are only applicable if you buy on credit with exorbitant interest rates, which enable them to more than recover any discounts they may offer

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:02 pm

That sounds familiar. My Dad went to a dealer in the UK once when they were offering a car for sale for a certain sticker price and he offered to give them that number in cash immediately and they just kept refusing to answer and talking about their credit deals until he eventually gave up and left.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:24 pm

Heck, the majour manufacturers, if they want, they can sell their new vehicles through its own dealers for cost and still making profit. For a dealer to make money, there are the "invoice" built to each MSRP or sticker price. From each "invoice or cost" of each vehicle to its sticker price, if in Toyota's case, there is approximate 12 % margin built in. Then even in the cost or invoice of said vehicle, there are another hidden invoice margin called, "Hold Back" which amounts to approx. 2 %..! If in the US, each manufacture discounts their vehicles at least 10% from the MSRP, except some very "hot " vehicles..But in LatAm countries, reputable makes does not need to discount their vehicles, except China made or India made brands...
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:37 pm

paladin wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:21 pm
I’vebought Toyota for ths last 11 yearsand find they give you around 2-3% discount automatically, but not in reducing the price.
The 2% off a Toyota is consistent with my experience prior to said mishaps. The salesman 6yrs ago seemed to be authorized to offer that kind of amount either in accessories or as a cash discount. Curiously, Nissan wouldn't offer anything and still seemed to be able to sell off their stock for almost as much as a Toyota. If you do need any accessories, it may be best to get those thrown in instead of cash, since you'll probably pay a big mark-up on them otherwise.

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:16 am

I bought a new car recently and received an =end of model year= type discount. The price was clearly quoted on the manufacturer's webpage. (I got a Kia) what was helpful is that the dealer paid the cost of the patente (license plate) the TAG (for toll roads) and some other little details. Also of interest is that I got the auto insurance via the dealer who told me that as soon as I took possession of the car - without insurance- it would be considered a used car. She paid the first month for me. So I guess researching insurance beforehand is a good idea. I found the process relatively painless, as compared with horrible haggling experiences in other countries. As others have noted, you can probably hope for some extras thrown in by way of discount.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:04 am

ghibli wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:16 am
I bought a new car recently and received an =end of model year= type discount. The price was clearly quoted on the manufacturer's webpage. (I got a Kia) what was helpful is that the dealer paid the cost of the patente (license plate) the TAG (for toll roads) and some other little details. Also of interest is that I got the auto insurance via the dealer who told me that as soon as I took possession of the car - without insurance- it would be considered a used car. She paid the first month for me. So I guess researching insurance beforehand is a good idea. I found the process relatively painless, as compared with horrible haggling experiences in other countries. As others have noted, you can probably hope for some extras thrown in by way of discount.
yea, typically buying cars new is not that big of deal in Chile. Everything is sort of included as far as paperwork and such goes.

Used cars, depending on where and how you buy them, can be more or less trouble for all sorts of reasons.

Really, as much as I hate the whole new car depreciation thing, if your going for something sort of newish, look at the new cars first. Sometimes the used cars have ridiculous prices that are more than the value of new car. Owners in Chile, for better or worse, always think their cars are worth more than they are.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:29 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:04 am
ghibli wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:16 am
yea, typically buying cars new is not that big of deal in Chile. Everything is sort of included as far as paperwork and such goes.

Used cars, depending on where and how you buy them, can be more or less trouble for all sorts of reasons.

Really, as much as I hate the whole new car depreciation thing, if your going for something sort of newish, look at the new cars first. Sometimes the used cars have ridiculous prices that are more than the value of new car. Owners in Chile, for better or worse, always think their cars are worth more than they are.
Sometimes the used cars have ridiculous prices that are more than the value of new car
Heh,heh..When buying new cars if the market is competitive, there are all sorts of "super-discounts" down to below dealer's cost! But then many people thinking that they can not afford new car prices and even before comparing prices of new-vs-used, they opt for the second hand vehicles. But the price of used cars are similar to already heavily discounted new car prices. But of course, Chilitolandia car prices are adversary to the norm. In the end, the best sold vehicle brand at that country, it will make, the best sold used cars as well and those, will command premium prices as close to new cars..!

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:03 pm

fybian, are you going to be buying a new vehicle or an used car will do? If used, I have a friend in Santiago that will be replacing his 2007 Camry Hybrid bought here in SF area then shipped it over to Chile. He wants me to ship another 2018
Camry Hybrid as his new vehicle to use there. Oh, and his old Camry has got a rebuilt factory hybrid battery installed, so
don't expect any reliability issue on this vehicle for any foreseeable future.

fybian

Post by fybian » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:28 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:03 pm
fybian, are you going to be buying a new vehicle or an used car will do? If used, I have a friend in Santiago that will be replacing his 2007 Camry Hybrid bought here in SF area then shipped it over to Chile. He wants me to ship another 2018
Camry Hybrid as his new vehicle to use there. Oh, and his old Camry has got a rebuilt factory hybrid battery installed, so
don't expect any reliability issue on this vehicle for any foreseeable future.
Thanks! but we are looking for a new SUV now, because we have 2 kids, and need a little more space.

fybian

Post by fybian » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:31 pm

Another two relevant questions I would like to ask are: 1 Do any sale men speak English? 2. Do car dealer accept credit cards?
Thanks!