2017 election: Will you vote?

General topics related to Living in Chile

Will you vote in the 2017 presidential election?

Yes
67%
No
33%
Perhaps
No votes
Did not know I could vote
No votes

Total votes: 9

admin
Site Admin

2017 election: Will you vote?

Post by admin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:20 am

:alien: I ran this poll a while back for another election, a lot of foreigners seemed surprised to find out they were eligible to vote in Chile.

For those that don't know, if you have been a resident of Chile for more than 5 years (including temporary residency), then you should be automatically registered to vote. You just need to find the voting place and table you are assigned to vote at, and bring your ID.

The first round presidential election is on November 19th.

Keep in mind this year, due to the change in the election system, this will be the first year of direct election of regional representatives and direct election of all congress and senate member seats that are up for election.

The old system had a strange win a seat to congress, and bring a friend, even if the friend did not earn sufficient votes to qualify on their own.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Re: 2017 election: Will you vote?

Post by admin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:27 am

almost forgot. Anyone living outside of Chile, that qualifies to vote, can now vote at the Chilean consulates and embassies.

So all you permanent residents, that still have a valid permanent residency, and live outside of Chile now can also vote.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:37 am

Check your eligibility and where to vote HERE
Après moi, le déluge

snobrd4life

Post by snobrd4life » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:19 am

Just chiming in that anybody eligible (citizen or 5yr+ resident) interested in voting outside of Chile would have needed to make the request to their nearest Chilean consulate before July 22 of this year (120 days prior to election).
"When ignorance reigns, life is lost." Zack de la Rocha
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:41 am

Why vote anyway? The election has been already bought by Piñera so why bother? Another 4 years with a different puppet. Will anything change? NOPE. Corruption will continue, "bonos" and social giveaway will increase and so will delinquency. Is like a turd in a toilet......going round and around til someone flush it down with my vote.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:54 am

+1. That is precisely how I feel about the States. No matter who you vote for, the trajectories of the big issues never change regardless of the 'party' in charge. Moar war, more income disparity, more debt, more prison industrial complex, more police industrial complex, more loss of freedoms in exchange for 'security'. I think George Carlin summed it up nicely when he called voting an illusion of choice. Voting is for people who don't yet realize the game is rigged.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:36 am

He says it better than I ever could...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsL6mKxtOlQ

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:17 am

It's not the US here both in terms of the population size and a healthy political scene instead of the 2-party deadlock.

The fewer people vote – the easier it is for already popular candidates to win (Chile has 35% turnout).

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:19 am

Gloria wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:41 am
Will anything change? NOPE. Corruption will continue, "bonos" and social giveaway will increase and so will delinquency.
Yeah, well, maybe so. But its unthinkable to imagine what would happen if Guillier did get elected.
Nothing's a sure thing come election time, think TRUMP here.

I suspect many forumites live on money coming from elsewhere, and so are immune to, or unaware of the effects this administration has had on the local economy. For us and many others, its been bad.

The idea is not to vote for Piñera, its to vote against the rest. As Maximo says, Hay que tragarse el sapo.
swallowthefrog.jpg
Gloria wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:41 am
The election has been already bought by Piñera so why bother?
No. The election was given away by the Nueva Mayoría. Piñera is keeping a low profile, as are the more obnoxious elements of the Left: Carol Cariola, Camilla Vallejo, Giorgio Jackson,Gabriel Boric, Bárbara Figueroa, etc etc - the ones who cause allergic reactions every time they open their mouths.
Après moi, le déluge

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:07 pm

Has Chile's paper voting, public scrutiny at every step of the way and public vote callout been compromised?
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:36 am

say, for those that are not interested in voting, but still eligible to vote, you might want to check your status anyway, because you can still be selected to work the table ("Vocal de Mesa") and there are fines unless you go through the proper excuse.

The first round was released this morning:

https://consulta.servel.cl/

Seems the November 4th, will be the second round of replacements for those that were not selected.

As I recall from the last election there were a couple of foreigners interviewed on TV that were selected.

I think the random selection of people from the community to run the tables and count the votes in public for all to see, is one of the stronger protections built in to the voting system in Chile. No hanging chads, counted by political party contractors, in the back rooms.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:47 am

nikotromus wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:36 am
He says it better than I ever could...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsL6mKxtOlQ
One of america's greatest Philosophers.