A genuine fertility\soil productivity map of Chile?

General topics related to Living in Chile
proger

A genuine fertility\soil productivity map of Chile?

Post by proger » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:13 am

couldn't find anything that seems genuine, maybe someone here already have it?

thanks

admin
Site Admin

Re: A genuine fertility\soil productivity map of Chile?

Post by admin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:06 pm

What exactly are you trying to do?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

proger

Post by proger » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:59 am

just to know about the soil per area and what treatment it would need...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:47 am

yea, I am sure some government or university I has a general map, but for any particular property your going to want an agronomist to do a work up on it.

Here is an example. Client buys a vineyard. It has old plants in production, but the place really had not been taken care of properly. He needed to sink a good amount of money in to fixing the soil, water system, and so on. Everything around it, would indicate it was some of the most productive land in south america; which it was, if it had been properly taken care of.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:39 pm

Talca University, for a small fee, will test soil that you bring. There is a protocol for selecting soil every x-meters, stirring it around a bit with a shovel, and then putting an amount in a clean plastic bag. The report tells you about the minerals in the soil of in different areas of your land.

Chile doesn't seem to support agriculture on a national level that I [once] would have expected from a country with such a large agricultural base.

at46

Post by at46 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:22 pm

Rhodolite wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:39 pm
Chile doesn't seem to support agriculture on a national level that I [once] would have expected from a country with such a large agricultural base.
If you mean government subsidies to deplete soil by growing corn that gets converted to car fuel, than maybe it's a good thing.

proger

Post by proger » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:22 pm

Rhodolite wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:39 pm
Talca University, for a small fee, will test soil that you bring. There is a protocol for selecting soil every x-meters, stirring it around a bit with a shovel, and then putting an amount in a clean plastic bag. The report tells you about the minerals in the soil of in different areas of your land.

hi, thanks for the info.

what do you mean by "Chile doesn't seem to support agriculture on a national level"?

is any person who own a campo of some sort can do agriculture in it without too much problems?

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:38 am

No, at46, I don't mean "government subsidies to deplete soil by growing corn...".

I was recalling U.S. Department of Agriculture extension offices with an extension agent in most counties of each united state. The extension office provides information about soil, about bugs, about new plant varieties. They run educational programs on topics of local agricultural interest and one-stop access to information from the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture. In earlier years they had a program for homemakers and continue to administer the 4-H program for children.

So, proger, what I meant when I wrote that Chile doesn't seem to support agriculture on a national level is that there is, for example, no branch in Curico where I can obtain information that may be generated by the central office of SAG which is specifically applicable to farming in Curico. There is a SAG office in Curico, but their mission seems to consist of enforcement, for example, of rules about storing fertilizer and pesticides - no public educational programs or readily available information concerning first frost, last frost, and rainfall history; how to legally control crop destruction by wild parrots; or pros and cons of various crop varieties for a given area. Each 'agricultor' more-or-less has to figure things out themselves or hire an 'agricola engineer' who is often only knowledgable about one crop.

proger

Post by proger » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:20 am

ohh ok now its clear.

well i found chile pretty much like other countries in latin america.
for example in urugauy they have almost in the same situation, there is no one really that can give you a genuine agriculture information and history, the only thing you have there is the coneat index which is a very old, non-accurate productivity maps for each parcela\chacra...

most of the time the best thing is just to do the tests and samples yourself, just need a good laboratory i can trust .

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:38 am

well, if it makes you feel any better, the mining industry complains about the same thing. The goverment only pays attention to the mining industry, when the cash cow goes dry. Same with the agro industry from what I have seen.

Yea, always throught chile should have a similar extension office system like the states for farmers. They did everything from help select crops for the year, to providing plans for fences and barns.

There is a lot of things Chile could use an extension office type system. Tourism, construction, etc.

Hey, but they are pretty good about giving away bonos to economically unsustainable small farms when their crops fail.

picalena

Post by picalena » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:58 pm

Harvey Weinstein might have a good fertile soil map of Chile. :shock:

pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

proger

Post by proger » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:25 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:38 am
well, if it makes you feel any better, the mining industry complains about the same thing. The goverment
Hey, but they are pretty good about giving away bonos to economically unsustainable small farms when their crops fail.
is that so? that nice of them... never heard a country helping like that before...