Why are you here (living in chile)

General topics related to Living in Chile

Why are you living in chile

I was born in Chile
6%
I married into Chile (married a chilena/chileno)
24%
I moved here for freedom
No votes
I moved here to escape WW3 or other apocalyptic northern hemisphere nastiness
18%
I moved here to start a business
6%
I moved here for recreation opportunities
6%
I moved here for retirement, because it was less expensive to live than my home country
6%
I fled here from my home country to escape persecution
No votes
Other (please post and explain)
35%

Total votes: 17

HybridAmbassador

Re: Why are you here (living in chile)

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:41 pm

Space Cat wrote:We were looking for country to emigrate from Eastern Europe.

The criteria were stability, easy-going society, sane property prices, and freelance or entrepreneur friendly visas. Chile won from Netherlands and Canada.
Space Cat, noticed you always mention your country to be hailing from eastern Europe. Any reason for you to not divulge your true origin. Are you afraid that the forumite get acquainted of where are you from? Just askin' way bored today..Ha,ha,haa
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:03 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:Any reason for you to not divulge your true origin.
I'm originally from Russia and mentioned it multiple times on the forum before but I was also living in Ukraine and on Balkans before moving here.
tiagoabner wrote:Chile won not by being the best in any of the categories, but by the sum of its individual scores.
Heh, I usually tell the same to the people who ask "why Chile?"

Jack of all trades, master of none.

wineman12

Post by wineman12 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:03 pm

Married to a Chilena. We both ran our business in the U.S. For thirty years and have retired now. We wanted to be near some family and a less hectic lifestyle. Still working on that. Going on our fourth year now.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:34 pm

Space Cat wrote:
tiagoabner wrote:Chile won not by being the best in any of the categories, but by the sum of its individual scores.
Heh, I usually tell the same to the people who ask "why Chile?"

Jack of all trades, master of none.
To be fair, given the set of qualities I was looking for, a jack of all trades was exactly what I needed. I wouldn't settle off living somewhere unsafe or breaking the bank, no matter how good the other scores were.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Julito

Post by Julito » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:41 pm

Other. Australian. Married a Chilena in Western Australia where she lived for 4 years working and learning English. We eventually decided to move to Chile where my wife had a house in Valdivia, to "give it a go", my idea. I sold my house in Australia but we never lived in Valdivia. Been here for 4 years. We both have residency in Australia and Chile. About to open a small "boutiquish" hotel in Villarrica.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:12 pm

Other

Moved to Chile for business, married, left, now return for summers and to see my son and his giant extended family, even on good terms with my ex........
It's all about the wine.

Julito

Post by Julito » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:59 pm

After reading the forum for about 6 years I get the distinct impression that a sizeable number of local members are a combo of retirees and tech savviy dudes or dudesses working online pulling an income from elsewhere, while a minority are actually working or engaged directly within the Chilean economy. That's possibly a simplistic assumption but I'd be interested to know what other things people are doing to get ahead in Chile.

AHusband

Post by AHusband » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:36 am

When I moved to Chile I made more money here doing what I wanted than I could elsewhere.

That may no longer be true.

peregrine77

Post by peregrine77 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:36 pm

Other:
Pisco sours and those little black stickers on some food products, indicating how healthy they are for you. We go straight for the packages with three black stickers.
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
Simon and Garfunkel

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:24 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:Still "Other" for me.

I came in May 2001 from the Wash DC area after a job resignation looking for adventure and a possible new future especially from paying US Social Security and welfare taxes also embittered by how the soulless and shallow US social-political-economic system treats individuals like yo.

Then September 11, 2001 happened. Motives of personal freedom and a temporary adventure changed to a political one and a determination to stay and make it work. Met my wife here and my adult stepdaughters and grandchildren born to them all carry my apellido.

So personal freedom to political stand to a family and legacy, for better or worse, till I pass.
+1 eeuunikkeiexpat. The red <SPAM WORD> sucks ass. I would LOVE to blue <SPAM WORD> it and go back to the false left/right paradigm. Blame Obama, blame Trump, blame Bush, blame Clinton - meanwhile the trajectory of everything horrible and rotten stays the same regardless of the party in power.

One party - against the people. Been like that ever since the assassination of JFK. It will not end well.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:25 pm

lol. the word 'p-i-l-l' is on the naughty list? Hilarious!

In my old job,I got bored one day and searched the code repository for the word 'damn'. It was muy entertaining to see how many developers were cussing their business requirements and their colleagues in the code comments. Then I searched for the F word (or the C word? no importa). I came across the input file for all the naughty words the corporation was trying to flag. I called all of my buddies around my pod and we spent at least a half hour going through page after page of deplorable language. I was in tears from laughter. It was probably one of the best work days of my life.

Ryan

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Errm, you seem to have missed "I moved here for my work"!