Why are you here (living in chile)

General topics related to Living in Chile

Why are you living in chile

I was born in Chile
6%
I married into Chile (married a chilena/chileno)
24%
I moved here for freedom
No votes
I moved here to escape WW3 or other apocalyptic northern hemisphere nastiness
18%
I moved here to start a business
6%
I moved here for recreation opportunities
6%
I moved here for retirement, because it was less expensive to live than my home country
6%
I fled here from my home country to escape persecution
No votes
Other (please post and explain)
35%

Total votes: 17

mem

Why are you here (living in chile)

Post by mem » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:02 pm

Why are you here? Why did you choose to live here assuming you moved here. Curious where the forum members stand in terms of the impetus for living in Chile

Julito

Re: Why are you here (living in chile)

Post by Julito » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:25 pm

Best you volunteer to answer that one yourself first mem before asking others :)

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:38 pm

JaJa, reasons change sometimes political, personal or both, I've been on that thang over 16 years, way it is. Of course I chose "Other".
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:24 am

Other: America love it or leave it. so I left
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

mem

Post by mem » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:11 am

My family left for what I would categorize in the poll as freedom.

Lost Gringo it sounds like maybe you might fall under that category as well? I would certianly consider it a banana republic for the reasons I state below...it is just doing everything it can to keep up the facade of normalcy as long as it can. Probably a lot like RomeI imagine...

For us we saw Usakistan going down the tubes in terms of morals, politics, medicine, liberty, economy, etc. It reached an inflection point in mid 2015. We disagreed with most of it and saw it only getting worse to the point that we knew that amount of freedom we had already lost would soon be even further diminished until it no longer existed.

mem

Post by mem » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:13 am

Ah Lost gringo, I just posted and refreshed the thread and saw you edited your post, so my previous reply was in reference to what you said before

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:32 am

mem wrote:My family left for what I would categorize in the poll as freedom.
Lost Gringo it sounds like maybe you might fall under that category as well?
Yes that is true but I'm not sure how much longer Chile will be "freer" than the US.
The whole Western world appears to be headed towards a politically correct, centrally controlled feudal society of rich and poor. Seems to me Orwell's 1984 is not only a novel but also a manual for some.
(see my signature)
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:05 am

What about an entry for 'trying to escape WWIII', which seems to be closer to reality now than anytime in the last 55 years.

mem

Post by mem » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:11 am

nikotromus wrote:What about an entry for 'trying to escape WWIII', which seems to be closer to reality now than anytime in the last 55 years.
lol...now we are talking. I would put that under the "for freedom" category, I was just trying to be diplomatic so as not to draw too many normalcy bias naysayers, but I will see if I can add an option for that: )

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:37 am

Still "Other" for me.

I came in May 2001 from the Wash DC area after a job resignation looking for adventure and a possible new future especially from paying US Social Security and welfare taxes also embittered by how the soulless and shallow US social-political-economic system treats individuals like yo.

Then September 11, 2001 happened. Motives of personal freedom and a temporary adventure changed to a political one and a determination to stay and make it work. Met my wife here and my adult stepdaughters and grandchildren born to them all carry my apellido.

So personal freedom to political stand to a family and legacy, for better or worse, till I pass.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:59 pm

We were looking for country to emigrate from Eastern Europe.

The criteria were stability, easy-going society, sane property prices, and freelance or entrepreneur friendly visas. Chile won from Netherlands and Canada.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:06 pm

Moved here to start a business. Well, actually, we moved here to have space to handle and grow our online non-location dependent businesses, but the idea is kind of the same.

Both me and my wife were looking for a place where we could stay for a couple of years to mind our own business away from family and friends so we could focus in our online businesses. The country had to be offer the best possible combination of life costs, quality of life, safety, freedom, internet speed and ease and cost for visa procedures.

Chile won not by being the best in any of the categories, but by the sum of its individual scores. We made a list of possible countries, scored each one from 0 to 10 in each of the categories and summed the whole thing.

The joke is that Chile scored low on the "internet speed" rating, but I ended up being upgraded by VTR by mistake to 160 mbps, so the only factor that was a big no-no ended up being OK.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.