To flush or not the toilet paper.

General topics related to Living in Chile
thisisreallycomplicated

Re: To flush or not the toilet paper.

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:15 pm

Gloria wrote:
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:Is there any way to test the plumbing in a house, you're considering buying? Would it be too weird to show up with a few rolls of paper, and ask the owner if you could try it out?
You are kidding, right? Weird?....noooooooooo...asinine.
Why would it be asinine?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:24 pm

at46 wrote:
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:Is there any way to test the plumbing in a house, you're considering buying? Would it be too weird to show up with a few rolls of paper, and ask the owner if you could try it out?
I think that's pretty much standard procedure here by anyone with a bit of experience. Water pressure, plumbing, elevators, external paint, earthquake damage in basement, roof/window leaks, faulty electrical sockets, faulty electricity/water meters, the list goes on...
Thanks, I should start making a list. The last time I bought a house, water started pouring out of the kitchen ceiling, as soon as the city turned the water back on. I don't want to make that kind of mistake again.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:43 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote: The last time I bought a house, water started pouring out of the kitchen ceiling, as soon as the city turned the water back on. I don't want to make that kind of mistake again.
One thing is opening the faucets, turning the lights to see if they work, checking the panel box, the floors etc. and another showing up with (not one but) few rolls of paper to try the toilet.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:48 pm

Gloria wrote:
thisisreallycomplicated wrote: The last time I bought a house, water started pouring out of the kitchen ceiling, as soon as the city turned the water back on. I don't want to make that kind of mistake again.
One thing is opening the faucets, turning the lights to see if they work, checking the panel box, the floors etc. and another showing up with (not one but) few rolls of paper to try the toilet.
How do you check if pipes can handle toilet paper?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:53 pm

TIRC, the strategy is not make any announcement and while checking the lights and such you suddenly have to hit the head, must have been that undercooked completo from half an hour ago..., retreat to el baño to do your business while hopefully the others back away from the area with respect and you can test it out of course with your favorite toilet paper you stashed in your pocket.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:03 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:TIRC, the strategy is not make any announcement and while checking the lights and such you suddenly have to hit the head, must have been that undercooked completo from half an hour ago..., retreat to el baño to do your business while hopefully the others back away from the area with respect and you can test it out of course with your favorite toilet paper you stashed in your pocket.
I'm now totally picturing this as a new standard apartment-checking procedure. :lol: :lol:

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:06 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:TIRC, the strategy is not make any announcement and while checking the lights and such you suddenly have to hit the head, must have been that undercooked completo from half an hour ago..., retreat to el baño to do your business while hopefully the others back away from the area with respect and you can test it out of course with your favorite toilet paper you stashed in your pocket.
Sounds like a good strategy. But my one concern is, what if the house has 3 bathrooms? Someone might start asking questions:)

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:27 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Gloria wrote:
Well, this is a country where some stores will not let you sit in an armchair or on a couch to test them for comfort before buying. Just sayin'

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:34 pm

hlf2888 wrote:
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Gloria wrote:
Well, this is a country where some stores will not let you sit in an armchair or on a couch to test them for comfort before buying. Just sayin'
I understand that one all too well. I rented a house with the recliner from Hell. And my neck will never be the same, after sleeping on it.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:34 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote: How do you check if pipes can handle toilet paper?
You don't! What you see is what you get unless you build it yourself!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!