toll roads

General topics related to Living in Chile
nikotromus

toll roads

Post by nikotromus » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:29 pm

I just got back from a trip to Talca from Santiago. Wife and I spent $24 American dollars in tolls round trip (4 tolls each way - total pain in the butt) AND spent over double the cost for a gallon of gas compared to the USA? I am confused. If the high cost in gas comes from taxes, then shouldn't the state have the money to build toll free roads without the corporations charging us corporate taxes util the end of time?

Sorry I am new in Chile and super confused about the cost.... of EVERYTHING (except oranges, damn they are cheap and delicious here)

katml412

Re: toll roads

Post by katml412 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:17 pm

Welcome to Chile! :lol:

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:37 pm

I am from the UK, so the gas/petrol actually seems cheap!

It seems to me that the taxes in Chile are very low on a % basis per person, plus that will go even lower when you consider that the average salary is lower, and toll roads are unsurprising given this.

The government probably needs the money from the toll road to finance the next road. Probably the petrol money is not enough to cover it, or it's needed elsewhere.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:59 pm

I've been told that Rt. 5 tolls are concessions sold (leased?) by the Chilean government to for-profit businesses. I've also heard - although I find it difficult to believe - that when lines of vehicles waiting to pay exceed a certain length tolls must be suspended and vehicles permitted to pass through without payment. I don't mind toll roads where there is a roughly equivalent alternative, but in the section of Rt 5 mentioned, there is no alternative.

wineman12

Post by wineman12 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:49 pm

Take the train from Talca, it's inexpensive and a comfortable way to go and you can bring back all kinds of stuff on the train as well. My wife and I take the train fom Chillan and have had no problems. Just an idea. Cheers.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:24 pm

Its an extra cost, yeah but I don't mind paying for a good highway, but it was forward thinking in the late 90s early 2000s when they did the concessions to have a dual carriageway motorway that bypasses all the tin pot little towns that ran 1000 KMs from Satiago to Puerto Montt, it became a lot more efficient to transport goods. With increasing traffic and trucks on the road in the years ahead, these highways will continue to save lives, those roads have probably saved thousands of lives already, can you imagine a single lane highway all the way down to Puerto Montt? That may have worked 20 years ago but not these days, even for a couple hours south of Santiago now they could do with a third lane now.

Zenth

Post by Zenth » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:20 pm

The toll roads are owned by foreign corporations. They have some sort of revenue sharing agreement with the government but I bet most of the revenue stays with the corporation. They're doing the same thing in Texas. Too bad.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:30 pm

I would hardly define 24 dollars in fees from 8 different nagging stops combined with almost 5 dollars a gallon in fuel as extra costs. More like collusion between the state and corporations to commit financial rape.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:53 pm

Please refer to the second comment in. But seriously, how would a developing country with a small population base and relatively large distances be expected to pay the billions needed to make the highway, just pull the money out of thin air? Maybe do yourself a favour and Just think about things for maybe a few seconds, rather just going off in a typically sounding newbie gringo who is so annoyed at having to stop for ....shock of all shocks four tolls, what a horror and a total pain. You're not in Kansas anymore.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:34 am

From my experience, toll roads NEVER go away. The prices will only increase even after the roads have been paid for 3 fold. And, again, if gas prices are as high as they are due to the tax, then where does the tax money go?

Sorry for the newb post. I guess these questions shouldn't be asked. "Pay the money, shadup and/or gyeeet out!"

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:13 am

You should check out the salaries of the Chilean Congress, Executive, BancoEstado, Registro Civil and other gov agencies as compared to the average Chilean wage of 350000. If the toll roads and gas tax piss you off, then the previous should help you decide if you want to invest time and money here. :mrgreen:
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:07 am

nikotromus wrote:From my experience, toll roads NEVER go away. The prices will only increase even after the roads have been paid for 3 fold. And, again, if gas prices are as high as they are due to the tax, then where does the tax money go?

Sorry for the newb post. I guess these questions shouldn't be asked. "Pay the money, shadup and/or gyeeet out!"

Chile is not an oil producer, the cost of fuel is not all taxes but real cost for the product plus some tax, where do you come from that has cheap fuel?
It's all about the wine.