Cold Weekend Coming: Santiago Area

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Cold Weekend Coming: Santiago Area

Post by Britkid » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:43 pm

So in the Santiago area it looks like a normal Friday and Monday, with Saturday in particular and Sunday morning being unusually cold. On TV, they said a temperature record of -3C or -4C in Santiago centre or 1969 had not been beaten since then. Looking at the various forecasts, it looks like we will get close to this with about a 50/50 chance or less that this record will be broken.

Saturday is going to have quite a bit of precipitation, but will it be rain or snow? Averaging out a few different forecasts, looks like a moderate to high chance of some snow in higher, Eastern parts of Santiago and a low to moderate chance of snow in lower parts including the centre. I was told a couple of years ago it hasn't snowed in Maipu since 1970 or 1971. There is even one forecast of 1-3 inches of snow for Talagante (near where we live). That would be something, although the other forecasts are just for cold and rain so it's probably not that likely. However, I might get to see our local mountains properly snow covered rather than just a light dusting which hasn't happened for about 2 years.

But it looks like some localized weather front hitting the metropolitan region area only or at most the inland centre of Chile. I checked the forecasts for the south of Chile and it's just a regular day on Saturday, same as the rest of the week. So on Saturday the weather in Santiago and the south of Chile could be about the same. Meanwhile in the north of Chile and on the central coast it looks like a relatively normal day.

In some ways I suppose pretty un-exciting if you are from the south of Chile, or northern Europe, or Canada, or northern US states, since this is just a regular winter's day.

Either Sunday (which will be dry, but still cold) and/or Monday (which could be warmer) could potentially be a good day for the weather to break, the skies to be clear, the precipitation having washed away the pollution. Hard to say whether it's going to be the best day for the snowy mountain views Sunday or Monday in Santiago area but guess Sunday. It might be a good day to climb one of the hills in and around Santiago, or go to the viewing platform at the Costanera Centre, or go for a walk in the mountain, or drive up the Cajon de Maipo or Farellones. Still, everyone might have the same idea on Sunday for that last one so could be a bit risky traffic jam wise.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

tiagoabner

Re: Cold Weekend Coming: Santiago Area

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:13 pm

This Sunday I'm definitely going up San Cristobal, the mountain view should be clear and they will be nice and snow covered, good for pictures.

Most predictions expect up to 6 inches of snow in the eastern regions, including areas of Lo Barnechea.

As someone from Brazil, I'm quite happy that we're getting some snow this winter. I never had a snowy winter before, so it's going to be nice for a change :D

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:49 am

it is starting to snow in frutillar.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:05 pm

Hm, we still have +7-10ºC, thanks to the water masses I guess?

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:57 am

It's raining, it's snowing, it's thundering...
Attachments
IMG_1231.jpg

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:20 pm

Did not snow here, but very very close. There was snow this morning on nearby hillsides only 100 metres higher in altitude than here, or even less. The thermomter I left outside said 4 degrees at about 10am and 10 degrees by now at lunch time. A bit higher than the forecast.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:00 pm

Puente Alto got snow........I was up at around 7am Saturday morning (just before dawn) to take my 2 dogs outside to do their duties and when I opened the door the 3 of us looked out and all thought "whoa".........there was probably around 5 inches (12-13cm) and it was coming down. Since it was still dark at that time after the dogs came back in and we all went back to sleep pretty quick and then got up around 9:30, and at that point I could hear my neighbor's kids yelling outside, obviously anything more than a few flakes around here is still an unusual event. Since we live between a hillside and the Andes themselves, it made for some great photos :)

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:34 pm

I got quite a lot of snow, at least 15 cm. It bent the plants down in the garden and I am not sure if some of them will ever recover. About 5 large branches broke off a tree in the back garden and today, walking around the neighbourhood, every block had at least three trees which had large branches broken off. Some had branches broken and hanging by a thread so I kept an eye on where I walked. The electricity companies are getting a lot of flack but there is no way this was normal. The damage from broken branches was everywhere. Some people in Santiago still don't have electricity. The denser the population in an area, the quicker it got dealt with. Mine came back on at 6.30 pm.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:06 am

Well, this is the Escuela Militar in 2007, no 15cm, but with the sliding windows and the underfloor heating in the ceiling, it was a bit chilly...

[img]
Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 22.04.18.jpg
[/img]
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

Andres

Post by Andres » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:00 am

Over the weekend Lo Barnechea got a thick coating of snow and parts lost power.

An article about the Santiago snowfall even made the Drudge Report webpage.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:54 pm

Wow, snow in Santiago, beautiful sight . But rather prefer to be snowed in December instead of July!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:48 pm

P1100782.2.jpg
Here are 2 photos of the Andes I took from my local hill on Sunday. What I find interesting is how you can very clearly see the grey smog on Santiago. I was kind of wondering if by being further away and looking over the smog I probably had a better view of the Andes than the people in Santiago, even though I was three times further away.

To be fair you do see mists also developing in similar places in central Chile stuck between mountains, but often tend to be whiter, while the Santiago one tends to be greyer, and thicker.

The photo with the cactus is showing the Cerro San Ramon which is the most prominent mountain visible from Santiago on its Eastern side next to La Reina, Penalolen and La Florida.
Attachments
P1100813.2.jpg